new 2nd photo website - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

new 2nd photo website

created a 2nd website so there are 2 floating around out there. this 2nd one needed to be non-flash so it can be picked up by search engines better. experimentation. what started out as a very basic ordeal turned into an 8 hour process from start to finish. decided to add a much larger photo gallery to the 2nd one. i almost like the new one more than the original. here they are....

you may have seen the original.... www.sarweddings.com

here is the new one....the 2nd one.... www.allchicagoweddings.com

i will be running both at all times. more exposure.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 01:25 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: new 2nd photo website

looks very nice... good luck with the new site.

this page needs tweaking... way too wide for the average viewer
http://www.allchicagoweddings.com/samples.htm

... g
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 AM

Looks good. And I can see that your photography is definately improving.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

thanks Glen. I will have to fix all that tonight. Forgot to check it on standard monitor before going live. That's what I get for designing on widescreen monitors. Thanks Rotti.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:55 AM
dex

Both pages are good but I like the new one better.
The page is very clean, user firendly, great colour choice and it offers just the right amount of candy and content blend.
Very very good.

Your pics are ace as well.
That site would def make me book you if I had an event or something that needs photographing.

One thing I'd say - offer a "One photographer 3-4 hour session" option where you catch the church and the reception and then go before everyone gets all mashed up.
So many young couples pay for the wedding themselves these days and the things add up - by the end of it you don't want to spring $1800 on 2 extra people you don't know to be around you all day.
Esp considering most people own half decent digicams these days.

Otherwise the site is great. Now go pimp it on all the local wedding forums.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

dex brings up a great point. i'm figuring you talk online to established wedding pros or have read a few books about the biz. talking the biz side, not the photography/artistic side. That said, it appears you are going for an upscale clientele which is more typical of an established studio with the luxury of picking & choosing customers who wish to LIMIT their work (too busy) rather than trying to build their client base

you need to remember Business 101 for your type of service... your business can be a self-referral business, in that one young happy bride will tell 5 of her friends (all desparate to be married themselves hehe), she might use you again for 1st pregnancy photos, one happy older bride (with kids) would consider you for family portraits.

Your customers (ie. bride and her mom most typically) will shop by word of mouth (direct recommendation), vibe (how they feel you can make their special day that of a princess) but price will limit choices (if they can't afford you then you're out regardless).

So you should try to offer "quality yet within budget" photography in 2-3-4 hour sessions as well whatever is needed to cover ceremony and/or ****tail hour pre-reception. One hour (plus travel) package for just formal portraits on location of the bride/groom/family, bridesmaids, etc. Alot of couples nowadays forgo the church completely and do vows on-premises. You could do noon and nightime bookings. You might want to go the "foot in the door" route allowing the brides to think they are getting alot and stay within budget... by offering less time and less photos. Realizing a shorter session with large bridal party could generate extra sales (order more prints/enlargements) vs a longer session.

food for thought... glen
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Dex, i agree, for some reason i like this new site more...and it wasn't supposed to happen that way. oh well. maybe i will switch the domain names and use this new one as the "real one" for awhile. you guys are both right. i do have an hourly thing with 3 hours minimum but i don't think it is getting seen much. Glen, you are right, i was striving for higher clientele instead of the tire kickers. had my fill of them. i have read a lot and i agree with the lower rates, get your foot in the door. the odd thing was, when i raised the pricing, i got more bookings...what they say is true. when they were lower i was actually told by a bride that almost signed that she loved the work but couldn't figure out why i was much less than most studios...that scared her. she was comfortable paying more to make sure her day would be fine. it's a rough call. maybe i will tweak them a bit again.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:05 PM

I was just at a wedding this past weekend. I have no idea what the couple payed for photos, but they had two photographers at the wedding itself, and then just one at the reception.
One thing I thought was cool, was they actually had printed a couple shots from the wedding and had them on display at the reception. The reception photographer also was uploading his photos in a laptop at the back and had a slideshow going of the photos he was taking.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM

I agree too, I actual like the second site better!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
site founder 0% owner

Steve some shoppers want to overspend. they won't take the same item from Target, it has to come from Nordstrom. Prices should be kept in line with the worth/value/competition BUT to exclude the promotion of 3 hour sessions at an appropriate rate will limit customers.

In stopping tire-kickers you are probably limiting your bookings at this time.

To curb the "i want to spend an hour with this guy then book some other guy who is cheaper" (real tire kicker) is a totally different story...glen
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Neither site is loading for me at the moment.
I was sending a link to someone and neither of us can access the sites.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

weird...ok over here on these pc's. Glen....i did change pricing around, covering more area. we'll see what happens. thanks, Steve
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 AM

Working now...
Who knows?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 10:51 AM
site founder 0% owner

site is working good. the samples page is a bit bandwidth intensive on load but all is well.

i'm not sure what you changed but i see only 8 hour photo bookings. what some of us were saying is that offering a package between 2-4 hours might be desirable by customers who could refer other customers. either way wishing you success... glen
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Glen, thanks. i added the basic package...wanted to bring it down to $1200 for 8 hours, which i did, initially being 6 hours. maybe i will drop it even more and only make it 6 hours. that sounds pretty good to me. $900 for 6 hours...to get them in the door. thanks for looking everything over. i agree, there is a wait while the photos load on the samples but i couldn't decide, out of 650 samples i loved, which ones to include so i think i narrowed it down to 400. i may trim some more as time goes on. thanks again, have a good weekend. Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode