New Camera, Any Suggestions? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

New Camera, Any Suggestions?

Right, I have just sold my Samsung Digimax and now I am after a new Camera as I am starting a new Photography course next week. I have a budget of around 200-250. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Re: New Camera, Any Suggestions?

I'm no expert when it comes to photography, but I don't think you'd go to wrong with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8. It's 7.2mp and has a 12x optical zoom and got a Best Buy rating from Which magazine. They also do a 10mp version, but I'm not sure how much that costs.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 02:00 PM

ask eddie...
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 02:16 PM

speaking as a photographer and as someone whose gone through numerous photography courses. rule 1: try and get your hands on a camera and get a demo, just like guitar, some just dont feel right for certain people. also lens quality is way more important than the number of megapixels, for example sony use carl-zeiss, panasonic use leica and canon and nikon are just generally amazing. i highly recomend visiting dpreview.com (a great resource for amateurs and professionals alike).

if its for a course i imagine that you will need programmable manual modes such as TV(time value/shutter speed priority), AV (aperture value/priority) and Manual mode. This is important in understanding the physical ways in which images are recorded. its also good if you can get a camera with raw mode as this will open up more opportunities in the future. i worked for a photographic retailer for 5 years and can recommend that just getting your hands on a camera and talking to a professional is allways good. i used to work for Park cameras (www.parkcameras.com) i can assure you that if you ring them up they can do you a good price and alot of them really know they're stuff. enjoy your photography matey.

tim
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion_and_Warfare View Post
Right, I have just sold my Samsung Digimax and now I am after a new Camera as I am starting a new Photography course next week. I have a budget of around £200-£250. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks.
Canon S5 IS. Check that camera out, it's right within your budget. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...anon_s5is.html

My girlfriend is currently going crazy for this camera.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 04:08 PM

I've just bought a Panasonic DMC FZ18 on the bay from a seller in Bristol for 265 - with free 4Mb card
Brilliant!
18x zoom - 8 Mpixels
dead easy to use and has loads of great features - the stabiliser is VERY good!
PM me if you want the name of the seller..........

Max
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectjem View Post
speaking as a photographer and as someone whose gone through numerous photography courses. rule 1: try and get your hands on a camera and get a demo, just like guitar, some just dont feel right for certain people. also lens quality is way more important than the number of megapixels, for example sony use carl-zeiss, panasonic use leica and canon and nikon are just generally amazing. i highly recomend visiting dpreview.com (a great resource for amateurs and professionals alike).

if its for a course i imagine that you will need programmable manual modes such as TV(time value/shutter speed priority), AV (aperture value/priority) and Manual mode. This is important in understanding the physical ways in which images are recorded. its also good if you can get a camera with raw mode as this will open up more opportunities in the future. i worked for a photographic retailer for 5 years and can recommend that just getting your hands on a camera and talking to a professional is allways good. i used to work for Park cameras (www.parkcameras.com) i can assure you that if you ring them up they can do you a good price and alot of them really know they're stuff. enjoy your photography matey.

tim
Good Advice!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 05:24 PM

Theres a Fuji E900 I've had my eye on. It looks like a decent camera able to shoot in RAW and has optical zoom. You might wanna check that out.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 06:29 PM

Look for a good used digital SLR. For $500US you can get a used Canon Rebel or Rebel XT, 20D, xti, something like that. Any of those with the "kit lens" would do a nice job for you. If your serious at all don't bother with a point and shoot.
The prices have really dropped lately. I would check out the buy and sell section of www.fredmiranda.com.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Right, I have just sold my Samsung Digimax and now I am after a new Camera as I am starting a new Photography course next week. I have a budget of around 200-250. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks.
you need a SLR or dSLR to take "photography courses". you'd be surprised, many require film but factor dSLR capable of full manual mode (exposure, aperature, focus). i'm not sure about Euro pricing but used dSLRs are plentiful that would offer a tremendous learning experience... from the canon 10D to it's little brother 300D (first digital rebel).

forget specs, megapixels and point/shoot if you are interested in learning & classes. now if you want a cheap, small walkaround digital camera, that's another story... glen
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:07 AM

I gotta go with getting a SLR/D-SLR cause if you taking photography coruses, you will need a lot of different lenses, I've looked into classes over here and down in texas they require a 35 mm SLR cam, they do not require different lenses, however it's always great to have.

it also depends on what kind of photo's you take
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
ask eddie...
haha ya know something, I'm suprised with all the pic's you've seen of me, you've never run into me at guitar center, with you being from corpus and whatnot. I always have my cam with me I'd be easy to spot
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 03:42 AM

Sue took this on Saturday night at our gig

pictures on the panasonic are great and on the 4mb card that came free you can get about an hours worth of movie........ i'd be done in 5 mins though

Max
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

"Who wants to be a sheep and play a Strat or Les Paul.......yawn!!!"

I believe you know that quote very well, Max

I am just having a look at a review of the Panasonic DMC FZ18 now.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:

I am just having a look at a review of the Panasonic DMC FZ18 now.
It's still a point and shoot right? Tiny ccd, very high noise levels at any iso above 200, hard to get narrow DOF, stuck with one lens. Very cool camera but a Big mistake for someone taking a photography course.

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode