New hockey rules... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

New hockey rules...

Am I the only one who hates the new hockey rules? I'm a casual hockey fan. Lately I've been watching the Leafs games. It's just one penalty after another. Often times there are two guys in the box at the same time. I think it just kills the momentum and the game in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 08:21 PM

Re: New hockey rules...

So far I'm not a fan of most of the new rules, but I'm still going to give the players and refs a little longer to adjust, then the penalties should decline.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 04:07 AM
Banned

The New Rules make the game cleaner and much more entertaining for me. The only rule I CAN'T STAND is the one about putting the puck out of play. When you're trying to dump the puck, and it's clearly an accident that the puck goes into the stands, you shouldn't get called. That penalty is going to screw some one in a crucial play off game.
Nik
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:10 PM

the new rules, or rules that are more heavily enforced, hooking in particular,
are making olympic atheletes out of NHL hockey players.
Too much Diving!
the reffs are taking HITTING out of the game.
as soon as someone falls on the ice, they assume that guy was hooked or otherwise interfeared with. I for one think it's ridiculous!
Tonight the Flyers play the Leafs!
should be an exciting game!
...IF the reffs put away their wistles.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:17 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I've only watched a handful of complete games and attend two in person - the games where they retiremed of Stevens & Dano's NJ Devs jersey.

One problem i see STILL is inconsistency in the calls. I saw ALOT of hooking that was NOT called. To make it worse i then saw 3 BS penalties that the refs just cannot call. People are AFRAID to hit and when they do they immediately look for the zebras if they have a hand up. That is not good.

Unfortunately the Olympics killed all the momentum of the NHL because the refs seemed to have taken steps back and several teams have been negatively impacted.

Overall they need to remove the goalie trapezoid next year and work to eliminate the diving along with curbing the nonsense penalties. I don't think the system can be evaluated until after a full year due to the lenghty hiatus where alot of players are playing their B game not their A game most nights still... glen
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
One problem i see STILL is inconsistency in the calls.
I couldn't agree more.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

LEAFS vs FLYERS tonight is a prety good game. Not toio many penalties so far.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
Am I the only one who hates the new hockey rules? I'm a casual hockey fan. Lately I've been watching the Leafs games. It's just one penalty after another. Often times there are two guys in the box at the same time. I think it just kills the momentum and the game in general.
Some of them are good in a way, but generally I don't care for any of the new rules really....

I think under the old rules, the team that's willing to take a hit to score a goal and hit anything that moves and play real hard had a real good shot of winning - now physical is just for show really and you can't just fight all game long without getting thrown out
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 PM

I've only saw a few times where delay-of-game was called on dumping a puck....and it was clearly obvious the player was just trying to get a whistle.
I'd agree with the previous point about inconsistency. But then that's always been an issue, be it NHL, or MLB, or NFL or ___________ (insert sport here).

The upcoming off season will be slam-full of 2nd guessing, I've even heard talk about awarding 3 points for a win in regulation time. Is that really needed? As it is, here we are in the last week of March, and there are only a few teams that are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. That's not only good for the fans, it's good for the game.

$.02
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 PM

did you see Darcy Tucker NOT get called for boarding???????
talk about inconsistancy!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Banned

I don't know. Yeah, there is alot of inconsistency in the calls, but I think the rule changes as a whole have not been detrimental to the league. There has been alot of slow, defensive hockey over the years, where teams have played the trap and used physical play to win games. I HATED THAT! Watching teams like the Devils (sorry Glen, I'm a Rangers fan) was (and still is) excrutiating. I love the fact that they took away the two line pass and made hockey offensive again. Don't you guys miss people with 100+ point seasons?
About the whole trapezoid behing the goal thing, I don't know, I think it's kinda dumb, but It gives the goaltender restrictions, which is good.
The calls were hard to handle in the beginning of the year, as it seemed as if people were constantly getting called for hooking or holding or slashing, but I think things have settled down considerably. Like Surfdog said, inconsistency with the refs has always been a problem in every sport, because the refs are human. Maybe the NHL could review penalties the way they review goals...
Any how, like I stated earlier, the only call that I hate is the delay of game. I mean, sometimes it's quite obvious that some one isn't intentionally dumping th epuck into the seats, and those times should not be called. It already cost the rangers a game when kasparitus got called for it with 2 minutes in the third while they were on the PK. I don't remember who they were playing, but I'm pretty sure it was either Tampa or Florida... maybe Carolina... I don't know. Either way, why would some one intentionally throw the puck into the stands when they know they know it's going to get called when on the PK?? It doesn't make sense.
Just my 2 cents.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:58 AM
site founder 0% owner

The delay of game certainly needs to go. That is a really silly change and will possibly ruin a playoff series with penalty called for something non-intentional. You can't let dumb luck effect games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezPrestigeBoy
(sorry Glen, I'm a Rangers fan)
my condolences

Quote:
There has been alot of slow, defensive hockey over the years, where teams have played the trap and used physical play to win games.. I HATED THAT!
The term "trap" is widely misunderstood but that boiled down to poor enforcement of the rules. I've seen ALOT of "skill players" dive, hook and grab with the goons. Also alot of teams misued players (ie. Bobby Holik on the Rangers ROTFLMAO at that signing and contract) relegating them to mediocre players.

Quote:
I love the fact that they took away the two line pass and made hockey offensive again. .
I assume you meant to say they now ALLOW the 2 line pass but this really has not done much, except perhaps backup the defensemen more because now they need to watch for the long pass. Proper rule enforcement would be more effective for "offense" but the jury is out on this one.

Quote:
Don't you guys miss people with 100+ point seasons?.
Not at all. I miss big, clean hits and physical play along with good EVEN STRENGTH scoring chances.

Quote:
About the whole trapezoid behing the goal thing, I don't know, I think it's kinda dumb, but It gives the goaltender restrictions, which is good. .
You want offense, yet you want to restrict stick-handling goalies who could make a TWO-LINE PASS to a breaking winger and get a breakaway?

I think alot of these rules will be revisited and tweaked. Really i think this season shoudl have an asterisk in the books as it's more like a prolonged spring training than a real season in my book with all the player movement, cuts, buyouts, rule changes, veteran lockouts (younger players were in the AHL) and 3 week olympic hiatus. The shootout IMHO was the saving grace of the season to date.. (I watched alot of IHL games live and they had the shootout which was great live).

Watching the season unfold is like driving on a highway and coming up to a "SLOW DOWN TO 25 - CONSTRUCTION ZONE". I do think next season will be a good one if they tweak the changes and get the refs on the same page. .. glen

Last edited by jemsite; 03-29-2006 at 02:27 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:16 PM

There's definitely good and bad. The trapezoid behind the goal is the single most idiotic rule change, IMO. Glen nailed it, how many great offensive break outs are being snuffed by that stupid rule. That just makes no sense, it's like when the NFL changed the field goal rule to where the kick is instead of the line of scrimmage so there wouldn't be as many field goals - yeah, now teams punt from the 35 instead, great idea to make the game better...

Anyway, back to hockey. I also don't care for the shootout, especially since they still give a point for a regular OT loss. What's the incentive to try to win in OT if you can get the same in the shootout?

The real test will be in the playoffs, will they do what they normally do and just forget about the rule changes and go back to the ol' clutch and grab garbage that they usually allow in the post season?

Worst is that here in Chi-town, the 'hawks, behind the times as usual, got a bunch of old, slow guys (Barnaby, etc), so they just sucked, but that's hockey here in Chicago. And, since we never really see much on TV, it's hard to have too much opinion about the rules, I guess.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

LOL i hate that FG rule too.

The shootout is for FANS. It also gives NHL some buzz 'cause they are exciting for newscasts, highlight reels, etc. Casuals can understand/watch a breakaway goal (single skater from mid ice trying to score) more than a deflection

it's also a real treat to the crowd at the live game watching a full game, hard played OT then the shootout IMHO...glen
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I like the shootout as well, except for the stick measuring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode