New photography thread - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up New photography thread

The photography contests kind of died and there seems to be a lot of people here into taking photos so I thought I'd post a new photo thread where people can just post and share some of there recent work. Maybe get some constructive criticism.
Please keep it to one or two photos at a time. I'll start things off with this one I took a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Rotti; 11-23-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 10:12 AM

Re: New photography thread

Good idear Rotti

That's a very nice shot. Looks like something right out of a wildlife magazine

Here's a couple shots of a October snow storm we had. Tis the season (athough you'd never be able to tell with all the mid 70's weather we've been having all November long))

post #3 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 10:54 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Rotti - that is an awesome photo... exposure, focus dead on what body/lens did you use for that?

jjemmer - that powershot is holding you down... i don't think it's software you're downressing with because the shots are so devoid of crisp detail, they're distracting to the eye. that is a bad thing as the framing and shots have alot of potential otherwise, especially if you had some depth of field control ...glen
post #4 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:02 AM

Yeah, I hear ya. It's just a little cheapy A60. If I could ever stop gassing on Jems, I'd get myself a decent digi-cam.

I tried the EOS350. But it's not very user friendly..

Any suggestions on a nice digi-cam that is a little more (USER friendly) for low intellect folks such as myself??
post #5 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 AM
site founder 0% owner

what's not user friendly about it? where did you get stuck? you could use total automatic mode and just zoom and press the shutter button grab a rebel xt or xti with kit lens for dirt cheap and dig into it. they're sub-$600 very often... even a clearout on the original digital rebel is a great entry to dSLR... glen
post #6 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:13 AM

Yeah, I did use the auto mode. The shots look nice and crisp on my PC when I open them up, but when I download to photobucket, they come out blurry and resized. That's why I've been using the Powershot for any shots that I'll be link here (or anywhere else)
post #7 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:17 AM
site founder 0% owner

Rotti's doesn't look blurred ... the "photobucket" upload software is no doubt using too much JPG compression... have any samples (full res and downrezzed?). i doubt the above pics look crisp on the PC. Rule of thumb... if they look good on the PC they *really should* be able to look good on the web too ... glen
post #8 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:22 AM

Glen, is it not that jjemmer's camera is not coping very well with the dramatic light and dark? My video camera does that when there is too much contrast of light in the frame itself....
post #9 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:24 AM

The above shots aren't from the 350. so no.....that's as crisp as they get with the 3.5 mega pixels

My VRMR pics where all taken with the EOS350. They look awesome on my PC, but once dowloaded to PB, like total crap! I could send you samples to show you what I mean.
post #10 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:34 AM
site founder 0% owner

chimp - those shots are limited by a poor sensor that can't resolve detail. it's not even megapixels... my elph SD110 is 3.2MP and can look very good.

jjemmer - are you using digital zoom with the A60? ... glen
post #11 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:38 AM

No zoom. Just auto focus and take the shot.
post #12 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Jjemmer I think you did a good job considering the very tough conditions you were shooting in. snow, night time, shade with sunny background. These are tough conditions.
If you want a dslr and don't have a lot of money to spend a used 300D or 10D would do you very well. The kit lens is actually quite good despite what some people say. If you are into photography at all you should get a dslr and learn to use it on manual mode. I use mine on full manual mode 95% of the time.

Don't let Photobucket resize your photos. Use Adobe Photoshop or similar and resize them yourself before you upload. Make them 800x600 or smaller and keep them under 500K. That way Photobucket wont mess with them and they will look beter.

Quote:
Rotti - that is an awesome photo... exposure, focus dead on what body/lens did you use for that?
Thanks. The body is a 300D. I've been holding off replacing it and buying lenses instead. I plan to get the new 400D (xti) soon though. The lens is a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 -4.5 DC macro. It's really an awsome lens. Nice and wide and fast at 17mm. Prety good zoom to 70mm. Realy sharp and the macro ability is amazing. I can actually focus on an object when the glass on the front of the lens is touching it. At any zoom level. Very cool lens.
Heres another from the same shoot. It's softer but thats kind of the look I was going for with these photos. Soft and desaturated. Sort of "high key".

Last edited by Rotti; 11-23-2006 at 04:45 PM.
post #13 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the advice, Rot

I've been told I have a good eye for photography, but obvioulsy my skills are crap

BTW- that second photo is awesome too! You should work as a professional photographer
post #14 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post

I actually do like this one, but obviously with a better camera it would be even better...
post #15 of 174 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Your skills are not crap. I think your just limited by your gear.

Tags
guitar playing , local music store , music store , truss cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode