New Windows 7 Phone - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

New Windows 7 Phone

My wife just got me the new HTC HD7 Windows phone as a wedding gift. I was a little worried after hearing some of the Windows 6.5 horror stories, but it seems fast and responsive.
I know there is a lack of Apps compared to Iphone and Android, but wondered if any other users had any must have app recommendations. (I'm not big on games though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: New Windows 7 Phone

awesome right? i've had the samsung focus since november... really diggin' it. no crashes, no battery drain, etc.... glen
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Just got mine today, but I am loving it!
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM
site founder 0% owner

Here are some good references...

New app site/list - more useful than marketplace which has a few search hiccups to be fixed next month with an update (pushed to all carriers)
http://wp7applist.com/newreleases/

A couple of "great app" lists but not up to date:
http://www.intomobile.com/2010/11/09...windows-phone/
http://lifehacker.com/#!5719677/life...-best-wp7-apps

The apps overall are top shelf.

Here is my list of Indispensable apps:
Adobe Reader (official app)
Amazon Kindle (official app)
Amazon.com (official app)
Back Burner (free ReadItLater client)
Cardmobili (web sync all your keycards)
DOF Calculator
e-Bay (official app)
Facebook (official app)
Fandango (official app)
fasternote (evernote client)
Flashlight 7 (free)
Flixter (official app)
Free Talk (free google voice) orGVoice (both probably useless on Tmobile since they have no friends/family a-list)
handyscan (paid or lite - i bought it)
Hockey Tracker (instant toast notification of scores for whatever team you want)
Last.fm (official app)
LindBox Free! (free drobox client)
Netflix (official app)
News360
Resco Radio (paid, can use any internet radio stream)
Score Mobile (MLB coming soon)
Sling Player (official app)
White Yellow Pages
Where or Yelp (official app)
YouTube (official plugin app)

+ some cool games (free or paid)

... glen
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Glen, Great list. I will definitely check some of those out!!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:46 PM

Reviews: 25

can you jailbreak it
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

I have seen video of it being done. Not sure that's a road I am ready to go down yet. :-)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Is it as good as an iPhone?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 PM
site founder 0% owner

Full disclosure I have two (ad supported) apps currently on Windows Marketplace and I'm a registered Windows Phone Developer.

Windows Phone 7 has a jailbreak already but the hole will be closed in the March update. Not sure there really is a need as MS has more balanced/fair policies unlike some other systems. One marketplace for all vendors/carriers (unlike android). There also is the xbox live integration where cheaters need to be removed not encouraged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Is it as good as an iPhone?
This can lead nowhere good but WP is certainly worth considering alongwith iPhone.

I'll say it's onscreen keyboard & predictive text is better than iPhone. Really. Amazing keyboard & typing experience. It's smoother/slicker than iPhone and offers better visuals and intuitiveness than iPhone (whose apps start to look dated quick) and has more hardware choices (horizontal and vertical sliders with qwerty keypads, etc.). Integrated facebook and online photos is totally unmatched. The swipe/panoramic gestures & apps are refreshing on a small device. Great music player without the dreaded need for iTunes (plus full wifi PC sync automated and 100% cloud sync of contacts, etc. via 3G). Obviously better "office" support with built in state-of-the-art ms office apps.

It's just unfair to compare a 3 month old ecosystem to iPhone (with zero backwards compatibility with windows mobile apps, etc.). Obviously many iPhone apps don't yet exist on WP7 and many games (even xbox live enabled games) are ported over but this xmas will be more telling as both systems will gain updates (iphone in July and WP7 major system update in Oct timeframe).

That said iPhone is increasingly becoming more for people stuck on "brand labels" though and it's appeal is quasi-mental due to "i've been told i need to have that" more than actual need.

Windows Phone 7 is great in that it can appeal to any type users.... iPhone users, blackberry users, feature phone upgraders, tekkies, moms. More price points & variety. My wife on iPhone would be a tech support nightmare. Her windows phone 7 is hassle-free and requires ZERO "tech support". That is where i know they nailed it... glen
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

The only thing I don't like is that my PC doesn't see the phone as a drive when plugged into it, so there is no dragging files in or out, everything has to sync through Zune.
Also haven't found a way to import my custom made ringtones, or for that matter be able to use mp3's as ringtones.
Maybe an HTC issue rather than Windows.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 AM
site founder 0% owner

not htc... all standard.

you'll want to use dropbox to access files... the system doesn't and won't have capability of being used as a USB drive. imho that is great 'cause each (3rd party) app is sandboxed for security.

no custom ringtones is a perplexing omission... hoping that comes in march myself. I'd have at least have expected anything in zune music store available to purchase & make a ringtone... g
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Day three, not to sure about Windows.
No Swype or speech to text app available.
Maybe I got to used to my wife's Android.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Rumors of speech to text coming soon

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/default.aspx

Just have to be a little patient I guess.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
That said iPhone is increasingly becoming more for people stuck on "brand labels" though and it's appeal is quasi-mental due to "i've been told i need to have that" more than actual need.

My wife on iPhone would be a tech support nightmare. Her windows phone 7 is hassle-free and requires ZERO "tech support". That is where i know they nailed it... glen
while i will agree with this for most of the teenage loser population, there are many who use apple and use it well. being in IT since 1993, I know the ins and outs of pc and networking since windows 3.11 and proud to say that most nerds of today don't know the difference between irq and IO or what they do for that matter. apple is a fine product and i will use nothing but. i sold all pc and have gone all mac because not only does it just work, it works outstandingly well! windows OS is built on a terrible foundation of broken code, at best. this comes from a former pc nerd. i have been on both sides of the fence and will never go back to pc.

Glen, I find it hard to believe your wife would have a hard time with iphone? i fully support the iphone, HTC, droid, blackberry, and NO ONE comes back to us with iphone issues....and they DO require MUCH handholding over here. i have supported the HTC HD7 and it is a nightmare. If i had to get a phone other than iphone it would be the Droid X, and even then, i'm not fond of it...it's not laid out as well as the iphone. i phone gui just flows well. we have had many converts from blackberry and droid and HTC to iphone here at work.

...but, all in all, in the end, it's all in what the user likes. i'm not defending apple in anyway and i'm certainly not loyal to anything. i just found something that works rock solid in all areas... pro tools, HD video, graphics and phones
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

^^ Swype ain't happening on iPhone or Windows Phone 7 sorry.

^ Steve, you fail to consider that people struggle to sync an iPod with iTunes and current music . (she has never synced her iPod and since gave it to my 6 year old). Her friends have iPhones and can't even fetch email after spending countless hours at AT&T store.

You're in the "super tekkie" category... and not a knock but one that tends to admire Apple. Not everyone can even sync an iPod beyond purchasing a few songs... glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode