New Years resolutions, and action plans - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

New Years resolutions, and action plans

I usually don't have any since I know any big changes have to be preceded by a lot of thought and desire, at least for me. I would be thrilled to lose 25 pounds but I have thought this for the last decade or more. Without a plan it's hard for me. I can't think of anything harder in life than consciously losing weight and sticking to a plan. For some it's quitting smoking or starting a business, but weight is my big nemesis. But that is its own thread. So 2016 is coming up!

So this year I plan on embarking on a one year intensified grad school from an interest I developed taking a class last year. The good thing is that it's short in its 14 months but the bad thing is that cramming almost two years of honest grad level work into that short of a period of time will again have to make me change regular schedules of a normal life.

While working and being a musician twenty years ago I wanted to add the last year of regular college work, some additional fun art classes at another school, and some graduate school all into three or four years. I did all those things but pretty much gave up music and at times didn't even have a guitar. I love TV and I had no idea what was on for those years. I often listened to what was on the charts musically but a whole generation of musicians came and went and I never noticed a thing. So much can happen musically in just four years. (I missed Nirvana's follow up and Cobain's eventual death, the Seattle scene then rap-metal, a new president, my 49ers' fifth championship, some baseball guy named Barry Bonds, etc). It's like I went to Bhutan or something. I had to talk to my parents to see what was cool in rock and roll music. There's only so much time in a week, especially with work, that something has to give. In the end it was all worth it, yes even to give up music for a time, but I never wanted to make that type of sacrifice again.

So for 2016, here it goes again.

Let's hear of your resolutions for the new year!

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-30-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 02:05 AM

Re: New Years resolutions, and action plans

I made a short list of resolutions. The first and most important is to develop a circadian rhythm. My sleep patterns are all over the place and it's been bothering me for years, so I am making that a priority. The rest are relatively minor in comparison. Read for one hour a day, spend an hour outside each day. I also intend to take more photo's, so when I feel like I'm wasting my time in life, I can reflect on how much has actually happened.

Lastly is to reflect upon every day the things I did and how I could have done them better to become a better person, but also to look at the good things I did that day so that I don't feel like I'm completely flawed. I'm trying to live to impress myself from now on.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:38 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blootuthe View Post
Read for one hour a day, spend an hour outside each day. I also intend to take more photo's, so when I feel like I'm wasting my time in life, I can reflect on how much has actually happened.

Lastly is to reflect upon every day the things I did and how I could have done them better to become a better person, but also to look at the good things I did that day so that I don't feel like I'm completely flawed. I'm trying to live to impress myself from now on.

This is a very good list! One of my resolutions, although minor in comparison, is to buy less guitar stuff and focus more on playing the stuff I already have better =)

Last edited by doriangrey; 01-08-2016 at 05:31 PM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:37 PM

At least 700 hours practice/jamming/performing this year. On keys and guitar together. Everything else is secondary.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 12:31 AM

Reviews: 15

My main focus this year will be my weight (even though I started a couple months ago making some dietary changes), followed by playing my guitars. Since my mother-in-law moved in 3 years ago I haven't really been able to play. I used to use my living room as my studio/tv room, but we let her have it so my gear has been packed up in a corner in my bedroom collecting dust. I also brought a kid into the world which really put the kibosh on playing, let alone playing loud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode