New York City hotel/lodging at a decent price? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
New York City hotel/lodging at a decent price?

Never been to New York City and I'm thinking going there for a few days.

Anyone would know a decently priced hotel/lodging/accommodation for a family of 5. I don't mind for only 2 double beds as I can bring a small inflatable mattress for my younger one.

I haven't made any offcial budget yet but, doing some quick searches I was surprised at the price of some hotel rooms in the Big Apple. If you've been there or know some good address please share.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM

Re: New York City hotel/lodging at a decent price?

If you don't mind staying in other peoples apartments try subleting.
Use craigslist to find an available apartment for the relevant dates.
That's what I did when I spent a vacation in NYC, twice.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 AM
site founder 0% owner

what is the most $ you want to spend per night?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

I did a quick search on trip advisor and similar other web sites this morning.

I've found a few interesting hotels at around 250$-300$... And some of them are so well located that it's park and walk!

So I could say now that I could go up to 300$ a night if it's worth it and very well located. But if you have cheaper interesting options, I'm open to them. That means more gear money!!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:47 PM
site founder 0% owner

$250-275 is a realistic goal for nice place near times square. closer to central park is more expensive AND you have less travel options (further from penn station, etc.)

my sis recommended these having stayed under $200/night on many occasions but note that right now is a peak season. cost is widely dependent on season & availability.

marriott courtyard times square 114 w. 40th.
$259 nightly rates but shows $199/king this weekend.

marriott residence inn

mariott fairfield inn - 330 w 40th
$249/night

hilton times square - showing around $300/night.

... glen
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Glen! My wife did some search and we found something interesting for my family of 5 at the Embassy, including breakfast.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM
site founder 0% owner

cool. breakfast deal is a no-brainer enjoy.. glen
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Yep, feeding those kids for free on breakfast is indeed... a no-brainer!!!

ANy "restaurants" not too miss in NYC?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:43 PM
site founder 0% owner

Carmines is my favorite for casual, awesome Italian. Two locations... on broadway uptown a little and right at times square. Weekdays lunch is great (smaller portions), dinner/weekends is homestyle (large portions can be shared)

http://www.carminesnyc.com

... glen
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 08:39 PM

Carmine's is very pricey... $13 for garlic bread and $19 for a tiramisu is exorbitant.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Carmine's is very pricey... $13 for garlic bread and $19 for a tiramisu is exorbitant.
Other suggestions?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 PM

Lodging in NYC is pricey . . . good eats are not.

Gray's Papaya or, if you're visiting the Upper East Side (the Met & Guggenheim), Papaya King.

A bazallion pizza places where you can get a huge slice that hangs off the paper plate with a soda for a few bucks. The best New York pizza is thin, with a crispy crust. If you can pick it up by the crust with one hand and the rest of it doesn't flop down, you know you've got the real thing. Cheap, hot, and good.

Chinatown is adjacent to Little Italy and each neighborhood serves up the best of their respective cultures. Eat Chinese for the entree and Italian pastry and coffee for the best value.

One of my favorite "musts" of New York eating is to have a drink, maybe an appetizer, at the Met. You can sit surrounded by priceless sculptures inside or enjoy an incomparable city and Central Park view on the roof. Expensive and . . . come to think about it . . . probably more enjoyable for adults than kids. Oh well, one of my favorites, anyway.

Try to avoid tourist traps. Use your nose. Don't be afraid to walk out, if it smells bad or feels weird there's probably a place right around the corner with a meal of a lifetime.

Peace

Mike
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenoA View Post
Other suggestions?
I like going over to Brooklyn. There are lots of nice places with really cool atmospheres. Definitely get a slice of cheesecake from Junior's of NY. The best I've ever had. Also, you can check out the "infamous" Peter Luger steakhouse, but they only take cash.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

NYC is pretty expensive overall unless you stick to dive pizzerias... and those will have better food than most places worldwide. You'll get better pasteries or bagels at the Penn (train) Station than you will anywhere in florida or canada Avoid the chain stores obviously. Carmines food is FAMILY STYLE (huge portions in dinner menu) but imho the best italian there... it's the one restaurant in NYC i'd go out of my way for though. If you eat at the Applebeas nearby you'll spend as much. Carnegie Deli is family friendly around midtown too. Some classic places are worth stopping in and eating at.

If it were me i'd play it by ear and wing it not make reservations & such, especially with kids. Anyplace you go you'll find good food. There is a lot to cover in NYC and it takes a few days. You should pick a destination (or two) for each day and work from there. You could spend the whole day uptown around Central Park alone. If you want to hit the museums that takes time. Enjoy... glen
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Tags
accommodation , city , hotel , lodging , new york

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode