Ok, since my wife isn’t interested in my NHL playoff predictions I will go ahead and post them here
I know my playoff predictions have sucked in previous years but I’m feeling pretty good about these =)
• Washington Capitals VS Toronto Maple Leafs – Do I think it would be fun to see the Leafs win this one? Hell yeah! However, I think their youthful exuberance will get beat down pretty quickly by the high flying Capitals and their playoff experience. The Leafs might win one game but I think that will be about it. I’m hoping for a miraculous Leafs win but it’s very unlikely. Caps win in 5.
• Pittsburgh Penguins VS Columbus Blue Jackets – I’m not a Columbus believer. They’ve won lots of games this year and have over achieved but that will end in the 1st round. I know Letang is out but Crosby is still amazing and the Penguins have a team that is pretty deep with skill and experience and I think they will swat out the pesky Blue Jackets. Pens win in 6.
• Montreal Canadiens VS New York Rangers – the Rangers are a good team, and possibly the dark horse in the east, so I think this will be a close series but the Habs have home ice and the best goalie in the NHL with Carey Price so if he plays well then I think the Habs can pull out a win here. Habs win in 7.
• Ottawa Senators VS Boston Bruins – I like the Sens and what they’ve done with their team so I think they can win this one. Also, the Sens played Boston 3 times in March and April and the Sens won all 3 games. Sens win in 6.
• Chicago Blackhawks VS Nashville Predators – Not a huge fan of the Hawks but they’ve been playing well in the 2nd half of the season so I don’t see the Predators pulling off the upset here. Hawks win in 5.
• St. Louis Blues VS Minnesota Wild – Hopes are high in Minnesota but St Louis finished the last quarter of the season as one of the hottest teams in the NHL (15-2-2 in their last 19 games) so I think the Blues will win this one. A Blues win would technically be an upset since the Wild have home ice advantage but I don’t think a Blues win would really surprise many people who follow hockey. Blues win in 6.
• Anaheim Ducks VS Calgary Flames – This will be a tough physical series with some bad blood likely spilling over. The Ducks are a big tough team with lots of playoff experience so I think they will lay a beat-down and douse the Flames. I would love to be proved wrong here and have the Flames win the series but I think it’s unlikely. Ducks win in 5.
• Edmonton Oilers VS San Jose Sharks – San Jose has a deep lineup but they are bruised and tired. They’ve played below .500 in March and April and I think McDavid’s hungry and youthful Oilers will be too much for the older Sharks to keep up with. Oilers win in 6.
With all that said, I sincerely hope I’m wrong with the Leafs and Flames because I really would love to see all of the Canadian teams advance to the 2nd round. Anybody else want to make some picks?