NHL '16-'17 BS Thread - Page 7 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:53 AM

Reviews: 21
Sutter and Lombardi sacked in LA.
$20 says Mr Excitement is your next head coach, Dorian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:36 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: NHL '16-'17 BS Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Sutter and Lombardi sacked in LA.
$20 says Mr Excitement is your next head coach, Dorian.
Nooooooo...please no - we don't want Sutter here =o[

I would like to see the Canucks bring up Travis Green - he's done a great job in Utica and is ready to make the step up to the NHL. IF they don;t bring Travis up then I'd like to see the Canucks go back to Marc Crawford - I like him and he did a good job last time he coached here. Lindy Ruff wouldn't be bad either...anyone but Sutter please!
post #93 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Ok, since my wife isn’t interested in my NHL playoff predictions I will go ahead and post them here I know my playoff predictions have sucked in previous years but I’m feeling pretty good about these =)

• Washington Capitals VS Toronto Maple Leafs – Do I think it would be fun to see the Leafs win this one? Hell yeah! However, I think their youthful exuberance will get beat down pretty quickly by the high flying Capitals and their playoff experience. The Leafs might win one game but I think that will be about it. I’m hoping for a miraculous Leafs win but it’s very unlikely. Caps win in 5.

• Pittsburgh Penguins VS Columbus Blue Jackets – I’m not a Columbus believer. They’ve won lots of games this year and have over achieved but that will end in the 1st round. I know Letang is out but Crosby is still amazing and the Penguins have a team that is pretty deep with skill and experience and I think they will swat out the pesky Blue Jackets. Pens win in 6.

• Montreal Canadiens VS New York Rangers – the Rangers are a good team, and possibly the dark horse in the east, so I think this will be a close series but the Habs have home ice and the best goalie in the NHL with Carey Price so if he plays well then I think the Habs can pull out a win here. Habs win in 7.

• Ottawa Senators VS Boston Bruins – I like the Sens and what they’ve done with their team so I think they can win this one. Also, the Sens played Boston 3 times in March and April and the Sens won all 3 games. Sens win in 6.

• Chicago Blackhawks VS Nashville Predators – Not a huge fan of the Hawks but they’ve been playing well in the 2nd half of the season so I don’t see the Predators pulling off the upset here. Hawks win in 5.

• St. Louis Blues VS Minnesota Wild – Hopes are high in Minnesota but St Louis finished the last quarter of the season as one of the hottest teams in the NHL (15-2-2 in their last 19 games) so I think the Blues will win this one. A Blues win would technically be an upset since the Wild have home ice advantage but I don’t think a Blues win would really surprise many people who follow hockey. Blues win in 6.

• Anaheim Ducks VS Calgary Flames – This will be a tough physical series with some bad blood likely spilling over. The Ducks are a big tough team with lots of playoff experience so I think they will lay a beat-down and douse the Flames. I would love to be proved wrong here and have the Flames win the series but I think it’s unlikely. Ducks win in 5.

• Edmonton Oilers VS San Jose Sharks – San Jose has a deep lineup but they are bruised and tired. They’ve played below .500 in March and April and I think McDavid’s hungry and youthful Oilers will be too much for the older Sharks to keep up with. Oilers win in 6.

With all that said, I sincerely hope I’m wrong with the Leafs and Flames because I really would love to see all of the Canadian teams advance to the 2nd round. Anybody else want to make some picks?
post #94 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:07 PM

I haven't been good at this in the last few years but I'll give it a go.

• Washington Capitals VS Toronto Maple Leafs – Caps are still a great team but their window is closing. If Ovie, Backstrom and company can score and Holtby can hold - Caps will win in 5.

• Pittsburgh Penguins VS Columbus Blue Jackets – Columbus is good but they remind me of the 96 Panthers with a lot of lunchbox non-marque names. Even though I don't like Syd he is talented as are the Penguins in general. Pens win in 6.

• Montreal Canadiens VS New York Rangers – Like the Caps the Rangers window is closing I think, especially for Lundqvist who IMO has been hot and cold. I like Hank but I'm not sure the Rangers will get a Stanley Cup with him in net. Still as talented as the Habs are I'm going with my gut. Rangers win in 7.

• Ottawa Senators VS Boston Bruins – I like the Sens and have been following them this season. B's are banged up too I think even with Marchand being top five in points. Sens win in 6.

• Chicago Blackhawks VS Nashville Predators – I'm picking the upset. Preds in 5.

• St. Louis Blues VS Minnesota Wild – I've been following the Wild too this season and they are just amazing! Wild in 5.

• Anaheim Ducks VS Calgary Flames – Being a Kings fan its hard for me to pick the Ducks. Also I want the Flames to win and they look hot lately; pun intended. Calgary in 6.

• Edmonton Oilers VS San Jose Sharks – Connor McDavid is just.... ridiculous! And former Ranger Talbot is paying dividends in net. They will steamroll the Sharks. Oilers win in 5.
post #95 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:03 PM

Nice picks Mike! We agree on half of the series. I like that fact that you're picking some upsets. There's usually at least 1 or 2 upsets in the first round. I hope you're right about Calgary - I'd like to see them win - I just don't have a good feeling about it.

We should bet a beer on the Habs vs Rangers series I think I might already owe you a beer from a previous bet but can't remember...lol
post #96 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:46 AM

Yeah, the Habs are good but we can add to the beer tab.
Just for fun I went and looked up Calgary's odds on the internet. They're a longshot and I think I only found one pro analyst who picked the upset on that one. I'd like to see the Flames do well.
post #97 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:33 PM

3 Canadian teams in action last night and 3 losses =( I watched the entire Sens vs Bruins game and the Sens were the better team for most of the game but a couple of defensive zone breakdowns cost them big...

I hope the Flames win too - I just think they are in tough against a bigger stronger more experienced Ducks team.
post #98 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:04 PM

Gerard Gallant is going to be the Golden Knights first coach. I kind of saw this coming when he was waiting for that cab.
Also Hitch is Back to the Future in Dallas!
post #99 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:25 PM

Good to see Gallant get a job - his firing in Florida was terrible. Good article about it here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...t-nhl-history/

I kind of thought Hitch was done. Look at the Blues after he left - they went 15-2-2 to end the season after Hitch was unhitched. Dallas can't get much worse...they have a good team there yet they sucked this year. Couldn't defend and couldn't offset that with scoring.

Back to the Blues, I thought they would beat the Wild in that series but I thought the Wild would be a little better than they are...the Blues might actually sweep that series. If that happens then I think some heads will roll in Minnesota.

It looks like the Penguins could sweep too - I never was a Columbus believer this year, and I can't stand Torts...he was terrible here...almost as bad as the Keenan/Messier blotch on Canucks history.

I've been watching the Rangers and Habs games and that has been a pretty exciting series. The Caps and Leafs series has been exciting too. The Leafs have shown they can skate with the Caps - I would love to see the Leafs win, even though I still think it's unlikely.
post #100 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:15 PM

Yeah, the Panthers had a run with Iron Mike too. His overall record in three years between 2001-2004 was 45-73-23; not great.
I'm very surprised by the Wild. Maybe they're the new chokers in the NHL. Or I suspect there's a Babe Ruth style curse on Parise for leaving Jersey.
I might owe you more beer on that NYR/MTL series, Dorian. I was so upset at the end of game 2. It looked like the Rangers stopped playing in the 3rd and just decided to skate in their own zone until the Habs scored. And giving up the game tying goal with seconds left! That wasn't Hank's fault. Their D just fell apart. And last night was worse on game 3.

And this Alexander Radulov goal at 5:16. What can you say but he totally clowned the Rangers and Lunqvist!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7__hG8e4uVc

Feh!!!
post #101 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Devs beat the Wild 2x this year ... they are not good and Parise was totally overpaid as was his BFF who went with him. Too bad the Rags can't win $1 any size Dunkin Donuts each time they do around here.
post #102 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:50 PM

I don't know. I've seen the Wild hand a lot of teams their a** this year but they can fall off a cliff here and there. They really tank in the post season though.
And the Rangers are horrible at home! I still don't think Hank is going to win with the NYR nor the NYR win with him. Gut feeling and he's a tad overrated.
post #103 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Wild never seemed like a playoff ready team in my estimation but i don't watch them often. I'd be more shocked if they win the cup than the NYR... who i agree won't likely win a cup with Hank. Most friends here grew up NYR fans and all have lost hope.
post #104 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Yeah, the Panthers had a run with Iron Mike too. His overall record in three years between 2001-2004 was 45-73-23; not great.
I'm very surprised by the Wild. Maybe they're the new chokers in the NHL. Or I suspect there's a Babe Ruth style curse on Parise for leaving Jersey.
I might owe you more beer on that NYR/MTL series, Dorian. I was so upset at the end of game 2. It looked like the Rangers stopped playing in the 3rd and just decided to skate in their own zone until the Habs scored. And giving up the game tying goal with seconds left! That wasn't Hank's fault. Their D just fell apart. And last night was worse on game 3.

And this Alexander Radulov goal at 5:16. What can you say but he totally clowned the Rangers and Lunqvist!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7__hG8e4uVc

Feh!!!
That was a sweet goal! There's still lots of hockey left in that series - I wouldn't be surprised if Habs and Rangers went to a game 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Parise was totally overpaid as was his BFF who went with him.
I totally agree - not only are they overpaid but the terms on both of those deals are crazy at 13 year terms...I still shake my head at those 2 deals.

RE: Rangers - NYR fans have been pretty lucky in that they've had a pretty good team pretty consistently in recent years - they've only missed the playoffs once since '05 - '06. My Canucks have missed the playoffs 5 times in that same period.
post #105 of 158 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 AM

I've followed the Wild a bit on TV but I also follow them on Facebook. They had a promotion this year where fans could get a Wendy frosty if they scored more than 4 goals and won. Minnesota being cold AF in winter I had to ask people on one of those threads if they really eat a frosty when it's -8 F outside - many said yes. I guess it's me being a Florida guy. They beat a lot of good teams and gave away a lot of frosties I think.
Lately, not so much looks like...
As far as Hank is concerned I look at him in comparison to guys like Quick, Holtby, or Price and IMO Hank seems less on the ball than those guys. Also, Hank is vulnerable side-to-side so if the Rangers leave an opponent undefended near the net, as their D has been, a good pass can get past him. Heck, that Radulov goal seems to show him vulnerable right to left and that was one Hab on his own with a guy on his back.

Also this happened in the Preds / Hawks game. At 0:38.
When you see it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0we1anEVew

Last edited by mike570; 04-18-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Tags
baseball < knitting , nhl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode