Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Are Nishiki bikes any good?

199K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  VanWyck 
#1 ·
There is an ad in my local paper for a 21-speed Nishiki sport? bike. It's for sale for $50. I don't really do any mountain biking, so I don't need a mountain bike...I mainly just ride on roads and streets. I'll probably call in about it on Monday, but does anyone have any information on whether Nishiki bikes are good, bad, what to look for, etc.?

#3 ·
Waaaaay back, maybe christ, 15 years ago now, I had a Nishiki road bike. I raced 3 seasons on it as a Cat 3.

It was a fine frame (which is all Nishiki has anything to do with anyway) but after 3 years of racing, it was toast.

Get some specs from the seller. Type of bike, frame size (inches is a MTB, centimeters is a Road bike), component group (likely Shimano, maybe a mix).

Although, $50, it's hard to go wrong unless it's just trashed.

#4 ·
Oi! 300lbs!

microdmitry said:
Speaking about bikes (which I know nothing about) - what bike would be a good choice to ride to/from work (about 5-6 miles daily)? Price is not a major concern, but I'd like to stay within reasonable limits. Also, I'd like it to be heavy duty as I weigh 300 lbs, and I'm tall.
Yikes! Yer a big one. :) Guys like you used to scare me when I still built custom bikes. :D

If I were you, I'd buy a STEEL (caps, so you don't think I said Aluminum haha) framed HARDTAIL (no suspension, they aren't made for guys as heavy as you) mountain bike and put either 1.7" or 2.0" slick/street/hybrid tires on it.

So you have the durability and gear selection of a MTB but the lessened rolling resistance of a road bike (or slightly more if you go with hybrid tires, like Continental Grand Canyons).

It'll also hold up to potholes, curbs, loose dogs, pedestrians not paying attention, etc. ;)

If you are exceptionally tall, you may have to go custom, which isn't cheap. But bikes typically aren't made for anyone with an inseam greater than 38", and even those are VERY hard to come by.

#5 ·
$50 sounds like a steal but if it needs new cogs, brakes, derailer, cables, etc. you're better off buying a $199 special somewhere with warranty... especially if you can't do the fixes. either way gotta ride it, see if it's your size, etc.

best bikes for a large, male commuter imho is a "comfort mountain bike" ala the Giant Sonoma or Trek Navigator line. These go from $250-400-ish which is a rediculous price for what you get. Great bikes. These come with a thicker tire with subtle tread (designed for 80% road 20% off-road use) so they can handle city riding along the lines of what J said above. The biggest benefit is the neck and handlebars are very adjustable to let you sit up more in a comfort zone, unlike traditional mtbs... glen

#6 ·
The ad said it was "like new" so I suppose it's in good condition. Good enough condition to warrant a $50 purchase! I just hope it's still for sale...the ad was in the Sunday paper, i.e. Easter, so I didn't want to call him...hopefully it's still available. I'll fill in the details as they come.

#7 ·
Nishiki used to be a good bike name. They haven't gone "Department store" yet,,like Mongoose, Schwinn,Fuji and a few others. If you are looking for a bike to just cruise around on or commute on ( providing you don't have far to ride ) then go for it. Like Glen Said,, if it need stuff like brakes, cogs,chain etc... you would be better off just buying a new cheapo bike for 100 to 200 bucks.
I used to sell bikes in Southern California at Performance bike in Escondido. I've been around bikes for over 25 years. If you need some help making a purchase please feel free to tell me what your needs are and what your willing to spend. There is always that fine line there. I feel that if you are going to committ to buying a bike especially for getting in shape reasons. I would have to compare that to buying a guitar. You want to get something descent so that you enjoy it, and will stick with it,, but you don't want to go broke in the process.

Let me know.

~A

#8 ·
Right now I'm riding an old Schwin bike about 9 - 10 miles daily...it's one of those old ones with the ram-horn handles and really thin tires. It can get quite uncomfortable to ride, and the brakes and tires need replacing. I saw this ad for the Nishiki and thought I might as well go for it (as new, only $50.) I don't really have a whole lot of money to spend towards biking right now, but this should at least get me started.

#9 ·
Micro, these are the best places to get what you need.
Honestly its cheaper to buy a used bike from mtb review..but then you could be buying someone's cracked frame with no recourse at all. All depends on $
http://www.mtbr.com/
this will give you reviews...its like cnet of the mountain bike world.
Keep in mind that Trek and Cannondale are no longer what they used to be. Supergo has some nice cannondales for a cheap price.
Your best bet is an ironhorse or a weyless at supergo..they have awesome closeouts

WWW.SUPERGO.COM

has a nice weyless

if you want new you could go with an Iron Horse

WWW.JENSONUSA.COM

You may be able to build a bike starting with the frame and add what you deem necessary.

Bamm

#10 ·
I've seen some Nishiki bikes in some sporting goods stores, they look decent, especially for $50 if everything is in working order. They are fine commuter bikes, I wouldn't call them "mountain bikes" unless your idea of mountain biking is a concrete trail or gravel road at worst. I do live in Boulder, CO, so my reference of "moutain biking" may be a little more intense than others8)

Roger

#11 ·
Just got back from looking at the bike. It was definitely "not new." It looked to be at least 4 years old. The tires and brakes looked pretty good, but the frame was kind of beat up and small bits of rust in a few places. The cogs and chain both looked good. It was also a women's frame. I am a teenager, and I am concerned with looking cool, and that is not going to happen with Jeff on a women's frame. :lol:

So I have about $200 to spend total on a bike. What recommendations could you guys make? I mainly ride roads, but I would like something that could handle some trails (trails around here aren't very rugged, but they definitely aren't cement roads either.) I am 6'1" and the length of my pants are 34" if that helps you at all. There are a couple used and new bike stores around here, so what can you guys recommend?

Edit: The Nishiki kind of sucked, but it was the first "real" bike I've gotten the chance to ride...not something from Wal-Mart or the old heavy Schwinn I'm riding now. I did notice it was really light and comfortable to ride. I'm not really looking for anything special, but just something that's sort of the "next step up" from department store bikes...something a little nicer, but probably used.

#16 ·
Yeah i used to race mountain bikes but quit for a few reason....the main one being that it is too easy for people to cheat in a race because a whole 8mile loop(or how ever long the track is) is too hard to watch the whole thing. That really made me mad so....i gave it up and took up motocross. Bikes are great. If you not looking to spend too much money i would really consider a cheaper gary fisher of a trek. I raced a cheap trek and it did fine. My bro has a garyfisher whaooo and those aren't too much and they are good bikes. I'm currently riding my dads bike which is a proflex(now know as k2) frame with a noleen carbon fiber fork, its all custom built. I wish it was mine LOL Also if you want a bike that is mainly on road try looking at some inexpensive cyclocross bikes. Those are basically road bikes that can do some off roading. GOOD LUCK!

#17 ·
Check for an entry level mountain bike, they have a less aggressive stance, there is also comfort bikes ( which I'm not big into at all ) there are hi-bryds, These are what I call " bicycle Messenger style" typically they have mountain bike style frames, with 700c wheels.

Specialized
Giant
Trek
Jamis
all have nice entry level bikes starting at around 180 - 220 bucks. Also may want to check with dealers and see what they may have hidden the back either used or employee owned. Bike junkies always have something for sale.

Good luck...
~A

#19 ·
My current bike looks something like this:

I'm not really sure if getting a new bike will fix my current biking grievances, but here's what I don't like about it:

- After doing my daily 9 miles, my arms really hurt afterwards. I don't have a soft, cushy grip on it -- just some cheap grip tape. At the end of my route, my arms start going numb, and my fingers can get pretty numb. And it's not because it is cold outside (temperatures are at a very nice 65- 70 F right now)

- I think this might be because the handles are pretty close together. I prefer to grab on to the top part so my hands are perpendicular to my body.

- The seat is really uncomfortable! And my butt is swimming in sweat afterwards...this can be kind of embarassing if I'm communiting somewhere!

- The bike is very unforgiving. I don't ride trails, but the roads I ride on aren't the smoothest either. I feel every little bump in the road, and riding over rocky areas can get a bit scary sometimes. Could this be related to the thin tires?

- The bike is heavy.

Some of these might be able to fix with just upgrading the parts, but I think a new bike would be my better bet in the long run. What are your suggestions?

#20 ·
For the numb hands and arms, no matter where you grab the bars, your wrists should be straight. Meaning, the back of your hand should be straight with your forearm, if it is tilting back, i.e. the back of the hand "upward" it is cutting off circulation which causes numbness.

Also, the seat looks too low, with a pedal at the bottom of an arc, the leg on that pedal should be almost straight. If it is already set like that and you seat is that close to the frame, the bike is probably too big for you.

Seats are easy to replace, try one of the new more anatomically correct ones (the ones that look like they are split).

Yeah, heavy bikes suck, and road bikes are very unforgiving. Unfortunately $ and weight are inversely proportional (meaning it costs more for less weight).

No, this may not be the bike for you, definitely shop around, but remember the first points and find a bike that fits. It is that important!

Roger

#21 · (Edited)
So I went to the bike shop today, and here's my options basically:

Giant Boulder (I suppose it would work well on trails, but would it suffice for a lot of road travel?)
Giant Sedona (The store didn't have any in, but they gave me a magazine, and they look really wimpy for trails. I plan on going about 85% road, 15% trail, so this might be good.)
Giant FCR (not sure which model, most likely the FCR4) I bike for fitness, and it looks like a good road bike (comfortable seat, no goofy handles, bigger tires than I have now)

I would obviously have to skip out on the trails for the last one, but I think I could manage. Anyways, give some thoughts.

#22 ·
FCR is worthless anywhere but smooth roads. It's a road bike with thicker tires.

Sedona is most versatile & comfortable... good for light trails & dirt roads but not heavy mtb use and huge climbs. designed to be rode sitting.

Boulder is a low end MTB. If you are going off-road alot then you'd want this to handle the terrain and will have to compromise for city driving. will handle better while standing/climbing & severe downhills.

not a tough decision... glen

#25 ·
I tried driving a Cypress, which is similar to the Sedona. It just didn't feel "right." I didn't like sitting so upright -- sitting road-bike style seems more serious and lets you go faster/work harder. I can really live without trails, as I just bike on roads now, and next year I will bike around campus, which is just more roads.

But maybe I'm all wrong about this, so fill me in.

#26 ·
they are similar, but you need to drive it for 5-10 miles to get a feel. they're for general purpose & longer rides. you're used to an old road bike, which imho are a disaster for anything but racing/training... but if you like that style bank the $$$ and keep it.

i think your best buy is the cheap Boulder given what you want. you can train with it... the thicker tires are not an issue, plus it allows trail riding. the road bike won't handle offroad or even gravel... glen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.