To be, or not to be - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Question To be, or not to be

A salesman??

As some of you know, I was laid off about a month ago. (insert plenty of colorful metaphors about the reason why)

And I am finding that the job situation is quite bleak around here at the moment. Especially in my line of business (insurance)

I have mainly been on the service side of things including managing departments and overseeing agency operations, etc. But...grrrr Everything along those lines seems to be filled.

So...
I have been offered a sales position. Strictly sales on commission alone. No salary or ANY compensation other than the commissions you bring in from sales. The commission they offered me is 50% of what the company receives from the deal which is quite good.

So hence the reason for this thread. Are there any Salesman on this forum???

I've never been a salesman (producer). I'm seriously not sure if I am a good enough Bullsh*tter or even have it in me for something like that??: I dunno

Plus the fact of no salary so it will take a while to build commissions and actually make a decent income.

So.....is anyone here in that position or have been in that position?? I'm not talking about just an insurance salesman. But anything even if you were selling Hoovers or "Clap on Clap off" devices, etc.

Since Jemsite is the place to seek eternal knowledge, I thought I'd inquire as to your experiences, etc. (if there are any)

Input / advice is appreciated as always

To be.....or not to be?????? THAT is the question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 PM

Re: To be, or not to be

I work in an electrical store and i'm what you would class as a middle salesman, i'm not one of the high money takers but i do take alot of money. The thing that separates me from the rest is i'm very honest and won't hide anything from the customer. I've been a salesman for 4 years now and i'll give you some sound advise here from my experience.
If a customer turns round to you and says ok your offering me this product at that price why should i buy from you?
The answer you should give is "because you've got me". Then you gotta be there 100% of the time for your customer. If a customer goes away happy they will come back and find you again. The top money takers in my store dont give as good customer serivice as I do and so there are alot more problems with their sales.
NEVER EVER bull**** coz if you get found out, and you will, people won't come back to you. The only problem with this approach is that there is a fine line between being there for the customer and them taking advantage of you, and that only comes with experience.

Hope that helps, feel free to quiz me more if you like.
Dave
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:13 PM

I have one of the hardest sales jobs there is.. Shoe Sales..

There is a old saying that if you can sell shoes you can sell anything..

Its a rough business because your not just selling on the want factor or the need factor.. You also throw in a ton of variables..

Sales is not hard, the main thing you need to know is the product.. If you know that you can answer any question a consumer might have.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
Sales is not hard, the main thing you need to know is the product.. If you know that you can answer any question a consumer might have.
I don't agree that sales are not hard. It depends what your selling. If your in a shop its not too bad because the customer has come in so chances are they must wanna buy something. I definatly agree with knowing your product, if you don't know be honest and say "I don't know but i'll just go find out". It's just common sence, treat the customer how you'd like to be treated, if they really don't want the extended warrenty don't force it on them.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:30 PM

Sales to me are not hard.. I have been in sales for over 16 years in various things from guitar stores, electronic stores, shoe stores, computer stores etc..

Its product knowledge, customer service, and the most important is making a customer feel relaxed.. If you can do that your golden.. Its not rocket science.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:41 PM

Sorry I didn't explain what i ment well. What i ment by it being hard is if you are in a competitive market, for example my dad and grandad used to be partners in the print trade and that was very tough to get sales, so much so they had to close shop after struggling through for years. It wasn't there selling skills or customer service it was several big companies undercutting everone so they rule the market.
I don't know what it's like over in the states but here in the UK shop sales as a whole are down due to the internet being able to undercut store prices so much. For example Theres a TV in my store for 3000, I know I could buy that on the web for 2000. Most tv's are aleast 100 cheaper online, even our own website undercuts us. It's harsh and stores will no doubt soon be closing. People come in pretending to be up for buying a TV then turn round and say "well thanks for the info but i've seen that 900 tv 200 cheaper online". That is a pure insult and no matter how good a salesman you are you'd be doing well to make a customer spend that much more with you.
But having said that as you say, product knowledge, customer service, making the customer feel relaxed certainly makes the sale i'd say 95% of the way there.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 PM

Reviews: 10

all I can tell you Jim from my experience is that sales are rough!!!
I used to sell cars and at another time IRA's, annuities and things like that
It would be helpful if you let us know what kind of sales you're going into...
If I may suggest why don't you try to stay in your line of work but in a different department like underwriting, Claims intake, adjuster etc... there are plenty of those jobs out there, you might not make as much as you're used to but it's a steady income VS sales where you are always running on empty waiting to make the sale... besides if you stay in the insurance field chances are that a position might open up in the dept that you were in before... just an idea mate!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 PM

well in the case scenario above you could explain it like this we will say a Plasma TV..

Maam/Sir im aware these tv's are on the internet much cheaper then we offer, and the reason they can do that is they do not stand behind there products. If your TV was to have a issue here at "Whatever" stand behind our merchandise 100% "getting them ready for your warranty pitch"

When you buy online from some of these places im sure your aware that most sell factory 2nds and factory refurbished which they fail to tell you. When you buy from us not only do we offer customer service you would expect but if there is a problem feel free to call me and I will help you. I wish I could say the same about the online experience but im sure you have called someone and been put on hold for hours. How did that make you feel..

etc etc.. I could go on forever.

People will pay for customer service and a sense of well being, if you easily give up when they mention online prices then you need to re-evaluate your salesmanship.. Cause your not being a salesman your being a clerk..
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:54 PM

I used to be a hamburger salesmen, and Burger King. But that was a very long time ago... "You wanna make it a combo?" "You wanna upsize that?"

I guess you could say I'm somewhat of a salesman at my job now, but not really. I'm in a pretty specific field, so the people who call us are 90% going to use us anyway.

The most important thing I can think of that comes to mind is knowledge. You've got to know your deal inside and out, up and down. Every aspect of it. Some people are very good at bullsh*tting around this to make themselves "sound" like they know what they're talking about.

But if you know your product, can speak intelligently about it, and work with the customer, simply put, the sales will come.

The worst and most noticeable thing that comes out is a pushy salesman. You have to be one notch below this.

Most people who are going to buy something are there for a reason. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

I had two friends who were car salesmen at the same dealership. One of them made an absolute killing. The other one didn't do worth a sh!t. Ben was there all day everyday with car sales in mind, while the other guy just hung out and talked on the phone. Ben was very successful. The other one was not.

Be motivated and knowledgeable and you will have no problem.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 PM

well, I sell sugar on the streets. If you go into that line of work, make you are always armed and make sure you have good sources. just kidding!
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 PM

I don't think Jim looked at the matter from this perspective. I rather he was seeking advice on whether he should agree or not given the circumstances. I am hardly the person to give advice on this matter since I just got into college I could empathize.

If I were in need of a job and stumbled upon this offer I think I'd get it. Doing something is always better than not doing anything as far as I am concerned. As you have already said Jim the lack of salary is an important put-off since you will definitely need time to earn as much as you would be able to spend some money on JEMs I know some of this stuff, because my father's been doing sales for as long as I can remember. He sold security systems. Well he himself didn't sell, he organized the whole stuff but he always says that it is most important that you knoe what you are selling. And honesty is the most important thing.

I wonder what you will be selling... Anyway just learn everything you can on the matter and then learn some more. That'll make a difference between you and other people apart from you being a mod on the warmest and funniest forum on the net.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis Redz of Silvanost View Post
Doing something is always better than not doing anything as far as I am concerned.
That is the best piece of advice I can give anyone.

Not necessarily in Jim's case, but I really wish I could give this advice to a lot of my friends who just coast around and do nothing.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Right on guys! Thanks for your insiteful responses! MUCH appreciated!

Quote:
I have one of the hardest sales jobs there is.. Shoe Sales..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
I used to be a hamburger salesmen, at Burger King.
You guys crack me up!!

I.C. - how could being a shoe salesman be hard?? People need shoes!! Especially da ladies!

And plus you get to fit all those lovely little....well.....

I can definitely see why you are a shoe salesman, Mr. Bundy

Jax - People need food as well

And they NEED insurance (so this job should be easy
right?)

Selling a necessity can't be that hard...right??

Too bad they sell toilet paper in stores.............cuz I could make a killing..........

Dave - thank you for your input and I totally agree with everything you say! ;O)

But that's what worries me....is....I may be too nice and honest for the job. I mean....don't you have to be a dirty dog to be a salesman??

And I don't know if I posses the "Bullsh*tability" for it.

Anyway - I've decided that I'll take the job "IF" I can talk them into some salary compensation for the first few months at least till I can get off the ground.

BTW - FL, folks......I'll be visiting there this spring. (relatives)

New Smyrna / Daytona area. Maybe we could meet up Mikey, ~D and Jax??

Up for a (friendly) spar, Jax??
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 PM

yeah people need shoes JJemmer but they all have fricking problems, this is to loose, slips in the heel, to tight, not the right shade of black, you name it.. Shoe sales is the hardest damn job..
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Shoe sales is the hardest damn job..
besides keeping a new guitar for more than a month, right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode