Not as much motivation to write anymore. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Not as much motivation to write anymore.

I have a couple thousand dollars of recording gear. Not real high end, but pretty darn good stuff. And it sits. I recorded a lot more when I had basically no gear but lots of ideas. So I spend a bunch of money so my ideas will sound better recorded. Now? Nothing. I sit down with my guitar, and nothing. I guess I've reached that age of mortgages, kids, horses, jet ski, never turning down work etc. I don't even listen to music much anymore. I'm a talk radio junkie. I listened to Suspended Animation the other day when I was mixing for a thing at our church. I cranked Suspended Animation through my Makie system while they where playing volley ball. It was great. No one had heard it before and I got asked a lot who that was. Anyway, it was new to me again. It was inspiring. I was like, "wow, I forgot what amazing guitar playing sounds like, man I need to get practicing and recording again!"

Anyone else in the same boat? Besides Shane Regal!?! I pay every weekend in church and am working on a cover project with my daughters for a couple different events.

If you know Christian music, you'll know that there are some great bands. Some are getting secular radio air play, Like Red, Thousand Foot Krutch, Flyleaf, and I think Fire Flight. We are doing Fire FLight, Pillar, Anberlin, and even Shimmer from Fuel!

There are no real guitar solos in that stuff, and the ones there are my daughter is doing. Just playing is fun, but I think most of us around here have that guitar virtuoso gene waiting to be unleashed! Fact is though. You practice for ever, shred like mad, and no one cares. But they do care if you play a song that just rocks and they can move to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Re: Not as much motivation to write anymore.

Same boat for about the last year to year and a half. No motivation after work and school. The real problem was I was working between 50 and 70 hours a week from last November until March so there was no time to practice and after not playing for all that time my playing suffered. Now it's disappointing to even try to practice. Hopefully this will get me motivated again

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Same boat for about the last year to year and a half. No motivation after work and school. The real problem was I was working between 50 and 70 hours a week from last November until March so there was no time to practice and after not playing for all that time my playing suffered. Now it's disappointing to even try to practice. Hopefully this will get me motivated again

If THAT doesn't inspire something, then your beyond help.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 03:04 PM
MFB

Would you rather have half a song and writers block or no song at all?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 05:17 PM

Reviews: 21

I was so burnt that I gave guitar up for over three years. I barely played at all; period!
I think there's a natural progression to these things sometimes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Reviews: 1
Thumbs up Re: Not as much motivation to write anymore.

Don't sweat it - I also go through the same cycle of no motivation/huge motivation, and I also invested in some decentrecording gear.
For me, I just know it is only a short time until I'm back in 'The Dungeon' writing cool new stuff.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 PM

I have to be in a decent mood to want to play. I have had a bad cold all week so havn't wanted to play. Now that I feel better my ears are still clogged and everything sounds weird.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 10:28 PM
the

im there with ya, for my birthday i rebought the entire satch collection, just cuz that was the music i grew up on, the music my memories were made too, and dont heat it anymore. its all this stuff that i dont care about , sure some of its good songs, other of it is bs. the downer i get though the more motivated i get. i just wish i had it in me to be some great writer/player.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Alright, this should be funny. For the sake of comparison, I set up a couple mics (a Sennhieser 906 and a SM57 in front of the JSX) and set record. I have this track that came with a TAB book. It's fun to jam along with. Well, after not noodling for months at least. This is what came of it. The comparison will be in a week or two after practicing some, if I can find the motivation that is. This is pretty scary rough. But the tone is good, so it's worth a listen anyway.

www.christianbattleofthebands.com/jam.wma
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Don't sweat it - I also go through the same cycle of no motivation/huge motivation, and I also invested in some decentrecording gear.
For me, I just know it is only a short time until I'm back in 'The Dungeon' writing cool new stuff.

That looks a little too organized for a guitar player in there.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I don't record and I've not written anything for over 10 years and I've never been happier with playing guitar.

You just have to realise that you need to find the "good" in the time in which you're living now, rather than pining for what used to make you happy.

Playing in bands used to make me happy, and that was great then, I wouldn't be wanting to live out a van nowadays or take my precious geat out on the road. Nowadays, jamming along to backing tracks and enjoying the time I'm playing is what makes me happy. Recording and writing? Meh.
jono is online  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Reviews: 18

I too have been feeling on the same boat lately. I have nice equipment at home and I keep dumping money into it but not doing anything with it. Having a 1 year old at home and working/taking care of the house/spending time with my family leaves me with very little room to pick up a guitar and do something usefull with it.

Jimmy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Not as much motivation to write anymore.

With my wife and I running our own business, and 4 kids, I'm on the little league board, my son takes piano and violin, so there is not a lot of time, obviously. Once I started to gig again I had an excuse to practice...I always find a little time to play now! I also have to stay one step ahead of my son who is really learning and growing quicker, musically, than I ever did.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post

What model exactly is that Elcid? It looks looooovely

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode