Nothing more annoying than a stoned drummer - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Nothing more annoying than a stoned drummer

Sometimes I jam with this really nice guy who is a great drummer, but like any human I have seen stoned, they simply can't keep time/tempo in that state.

I would rather let them watch and chill in the audience.

I am in no way against stoners and deeply believe in legalization but why get stoned if it makes you totally unable to sense tempo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 05:21 PM

Re: Nothing more annoying than a stoned drummer

I agree, if you are in a professional environment then you should have to decency and self respect to be at your best for the sake of the performance. He obviously doesn't take his craft seriously or has opposing priorities/beliefs. Try taking to him about it?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:06 PM

Reviews: 21

There's a reason Frank Zappa fired people for drug use.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilherme87 View Post
I agree, if you are in a professional environment then you should have to decency and self respect to be at your best for the sake of the performance. He obviously doesn't take his craft seriously or has opposing priorities/beliefs. Try taking to him about it?
I don't think he believes he can drum without pot. I finally figured out he doesn't want to drum but find an excuse to smoke the stuff. In his day job, he's very sober and serious and he had relegated music to chilling out and chilling out to have to always have pot.

Though I am for legalization, for many reasons, his behavior is a testament to why some people should never smoke pot. He kept on stopping, slowing down, and losing the beat and a few days later when he was sober he had to gall to ask why I kept on stopping. He wanted to be in the flow, but really just wanted to hyper focus on dragging the beat and ignore the rest of us.

It was just a jam but I will remember to do something useful, like iron shirts or clean headlights on car with toothpaste, or to put all my paper receipts from years ago in order if I have free time like this again!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 08:26 AM

I can empathise with him, have a chat and see if you can get him into playing drums sober again, I fell into a hole of only playing guitar under the influence.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
It was just a jam but I will remember to do something useful, like iron shirts or clean headlights on car with toothpaste, or to put all my paper receipts from years ago in order if I have free time like this again!
lol!

never been into any kind of drug, myself, so maybe talk BS here, but I always admired those first thrash drummers for their precision and discipline only to know later that they were on drugs. So? Are some drugs more drummer-friendly (as drumming requires the best physical state of all instruments) than others?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
lol!

never been into any kind of drug, myself, so maybe talk BS here, but I always admired those first thrash drummers for their precision and discipline only to know later that they were on drugs. So? Are some drugs more drummer-friendly (as drumming requires the best physical state of all instruments) than others?
First I will say I don't do any drugs.

But yes, some drugs affect drummers from what I have seen in different ways. Meth is a terrible drug in so many ways but many a thrash drummer have kept the beat and entered the set with a lot of energy.

Heroin is known by a lot of old school jazzers as a very inspirational drug even though its affects on the body are less than inspirational.

Pot, while extensively useful in medical applications and perhaps a much safer way to relax than alcohol, really has a way to screw up with meter. It's the drummer's key tool and if they can't keep time, then pot is certainly not the drug they should choose. Even the best drummers are really handicapped on it. I am yet to see any exception. I say this at the same time my MD gave me a marijuana card which I consider a tool like any medical procedures/drugs which can have an appropriate purpose.

I am fine with a drummer who smokes pot on their own time, every day if need be and several times a day, but there's nothing more annoying musically than somebody who has to smoke right before they drum and then end up dragging everybody down because their sense of time is relegated to another dimension.

A close second in terms of annoying is somebody who is just good enough at guitar to be fast, but then has to play fast on every song possible and play over the vocalist drowning him/her out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

All that anti-pot/drummer talk aside, I am strongly for the right to smoke it and I hope California follows the path of Colorado. It will let law enforcement focus on real crimes and not trying to regulate the sale of a naturally growing plant that has no evidence of being harmful. I suspect alcohol, tobacco, and textile companies have never been fond of the competition pot can bring to the table and thus the reason why it's illegal in most states.

Just like I don't think sex should be outlawed (there's a local church/cult I know of that believes this and only adopts kids to procreate), who would want their drummer to be having sex while playing drums at the same time? I am sure this would screw up (forgive the pun) their timing as they try and keep the band together. Pot pretty much mucks up the timing just as badly.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:48 AM

my drummer is always using a metronome.....works awesome for us in a live situation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode