NYC Guitar shops - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

NYC Guitar shops

Thought I'd throw this out there.... I know its a big place
I'm going to be in NYC this Saturday with the whole day to kill. Thinking it might be a good Guitar shopping day.
I wouldn't mind checking some pawn shops either.... you never know
Fun part is I don't even know what I want, just feel like getting something.
Where's the cool places, or any places that I shouldn't miss?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 AM

Re: NYC Guitar shops

Sorry, missed this one. Have you already been and gone?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

This weekend coming up 5/15-5/17
It looks like the real estate tyrants have claimed the section of 48th street where some real big music stores have been for awhile. Manny's is closing at the end of May as well as some others. Maybe I can snag some sort of door closing blowout sales.
I know its a LARGE area but I didn't know if there is some places that shouldn't be missed.
With the economy in the can there's gotta be some nice pawnshop scores somewhere.

thanks
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 PM

Most of those places are actually owned by Sam Ash, including Manny's. There's a big GC on 14th St as well. Let me think, I'll get you a few more tomorrow.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:57 AM

I went to Sam Ash near Time Square, just happened to stumble by it while visiting NYC a couple of years ago.
I saw some of the most expensive guitars i have ever seen. 10 grand for an acoustic here 15 grand for an electric there. I was waaay out my league. LOL!
Aaah NYC what a city!
Anyway just wanted to wish you luck on your search.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIFF View Post
This weekend coming up 5/15-5/17
It looks like the real estate tyrants have claimed the section of 48th street where some real big music stores have been for awhile. Manny's is closing at the end of May as well as some others. Maybe I can snag some sort of door closing blowout sales.
I know its a LARGE area but I didn't know if there is some places that shouldn't be missed.
With the economy in the can there's gotta be some nice pawnshop scores somewhere.

thanks
Actually, that other building (where Sam Ash sheet music and wind instruments used to be) was recently condemned. The back wall is collapsing. Rumor is that a disgruntled employee tipped off the building inspectors. The inspectors showed up and they were told to vacate the same day.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:18 PM

Here's a list that I got online. I've been to one or two of them with my sister, but I can't remember which ones. This list is a little out of date, given the fact that they call Rudy Pensa's guitar shop "Pensa-Suhr." The list is also missing the Sadowsky custom guitar shop.

http://www.raveny.com/music/manhattan/index.htm

http://www.raveny.com/music/brooklyn/index.htm

Sadowsky Guitars is located in Brooklyn at:
20 Jay Street #5C
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode