Oh how I hate evilbay - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Oh how I hate evilbay

I put my PSP on e bay last night.
Wake up this morning, someone has bought it with buy it now.

Wow, that was a quick sale...or was it?

I check my emails and there is a series of retarded emails from the buyer, who has 0 feedback and registered the day I listed the item.

Quote:
hello seller
i am very happy that i have made the payment for the
item through paypal.and paypal has contact me about
the payment confirmation and the money has been
deducted from my paypal account pls I want you to
ship the item ship to my daughter as its getting kinda
late.and i want this item send to my daughter as a birthday gift in west africa,and Rememeber to send the tracking number to paypal customer service for verifications so they can credited the money in your paypal account. Get back to paypal with the tracking number when you are done with the
shipping....
Here is the shipping address again...

Olalekan Williams
18 ipodo street
off awolowo road
ikeja lagos
Nigeria

love to hear from you
Thanks
Quote:
HELLO SELLER

I HAVE NOT HEAR FROM YOU, AND THE PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE TO PAYPAL, YOUR ITEM MONEY HAS BEEN DEDUCTED OUT OF MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT, PLS GET BACK TO PAYPAL WITH THE REFFERENCE TRACKING NUMBER SO THAT THEY CAN CREDIT YOUR FULL MONEY IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT OR DO YOU WANT ME TO LOSE MY MONEY AND THE ITEM IS URGENT NEED AS A BIRTHDAY GIFT TO MY DAUGHTER IN WEST AFRICA.

Olalekan Williams
18 ipodo street
off awolowo road
ikeja lagos
Nigeria

LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
THANKS
Now this is the first time I have ever sold something on the bay, but this has put me right off seeing it costed 11 to make the listing and someone has wrecked it...

Last edited by SeanB; 03-17-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: **** censor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 06:49 AM

Re: Oh how I hate evilbay

If the guy paid for the item, then refund his money and then submit to **** for a listing credit. You can just relist and it wont cost you a thing.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
If the guy paid for the item, then refund his money and then submit to **** for a listing credit. You can just relist and it wont cost you a thing.
they said they have, but there is not activity in my paypal account and it says the that the checkout hasn't been completed on e bay. I know that I've never sold an item there before. But is that normal?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 AM

NOOOOOO... it's not normal!

Ignore any further e-mails and report him to e-bay. Like Ayrton says, just tell e-bay it's not been paid for and they'll let you relist for free, but you have to wait 7 days.

Yep, e-bay sucks!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Oh how I hate evilbay

Some of the things I do when I sell-

1) Never use buy it now. It allows anyone to end the auction (as you saw), which means that many less people will see it. List the item for what you realistically want based on what they sell for. Or use a reserve price, and list it for less to entice bidding. Sometimes you'll get more at the end of an auction

2) Never end an auction early. People wait for the last second to bid

3) In the description, list all of your terms for sale, where you'll ship to, who you'll ship to, how you ship, so there are no misunderstandings...

4) Feel free to refuse any bidder with too many negatives or a zero feedback unless they specifically get email confirmation from you before bidding (one of the things you should list in your description)

A lot of it is trial and error too. You'll see what works for you as a seller...
Good luck
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:01 AM

All I needed to see was that "It's a gift for my sister" to know it was a scam. The fact that it's from Nigeria, the scam capital of the world, just reinforces that. They say it's a gift to get you to send it to an address other than the confirmed paypal address.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:14 AM

Reviews: 9

Nigeria should set off the alarm dude. Easy way to avoid this is when you set up your auction don't use worldwide shipping...keep it to North America and maybe Europe and set it so that anyone with under 5 feedback can't bid on your auctions. DO NOT give into this guy's claims that he paid...he didn't and never will.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

What worries me is that I'm probably going to get a negative feedback for this when I don't ship the psp.

Would evilbay remove this since it's from an obvious scammer?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:14 AM

You can explain that to that site, and they should drop your negative.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 PM

Reviews: 9

Negative feedback should be the least of your worries. Eeeee-bay would retract the negative feedback after they investigate the PayPal (non)transfer and even then you would be able to respond to the feedback so when someone looks at your feedback they will be able to read your response that the guy was a scammer.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Dee

Nothing wrong with e-Bay, it's fine most of the time, but if you don't know certain things (pretty much all listed by DEADTUNE above) then you might be in for a bad time.

e-Bay doesn't suck, it's a very useful site and personally I have had barely any trouble at all in the 3 years I've been registered.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
What worries me is that I'm probably going to get a negative feedback for this when I don't ship the psp.

Would evilbay remove this since it's from an obvious scammer?
Once you report the sale as being a non paying ****er, then he can't even leave feedback. However, I don't he is even going to remember you as I am sure he tried this scam with more than one.

Just relist and report the guy so you get a listing credit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode