Okay this one is just plain nuts! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Okay this one is just plain nuts!

I have noticed that my daughter's math text books attempt to be more integrated by adding multi cultural names to their word problems. I'll see stuff in there like Juan and Sheniqua were collecting sea shells etc etc but this one that I just saw takes the cake!! This is a direct quote from her math book....

"Demosthenes had a bag of pebbles when the sun came up. He put 17 pebbles into his mouth. Then there were 46 pebbles left in the bag. How many pebbles were in the bag when the sun came up? Write a subtraction pattern and solve the problem."

Who in the world comes up with this stuff???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 06:17 PM

Re: Okay this one is just plain nuts!

My g ay cousin is named Demosthenes, but when the sun comes up it's not marbles in his mouth. Some would say they are just plain nuts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 06:23 PM

HAHAHA.......brutal

on another note......speaking of homework, these kids never have homework these days! i got hours of it every night. i had every subject, reading to do, at least 50 math problems, no joke. my 2 step kids NEVER have homework. the most i have seen them do is write a few sentences or play connect the dots or some lamo BS. no wonder they can't write or read that well and they are 12 and 13. i see this with friend's kids as well. school systems suk and it doesn't help the irresponsibility of these kids either. they're lazy and don't want to do a damn thing. not only in this home but in other homes of friends.....what's up with the schooling?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
My g ay cousin is named Demosthenes, but when the sun comes up it's not marbles in his mouth. Some would say they are just plain nuts.
I have to give you credit for this one Scott. It is a rare gift to be able to come up with a retort of this calibur in only 5 minutes!! You've got skills my friend! lol
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 06:25 PM

You know what sucks more, being 30 and back in school. I have to do homework after work. The math is the worst, I havent taken a math class since my sophmore year of HS.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You know what sucks more, being 30 and back in school. I have to do homework after work. The math is the worst, I havent taken a math class since my sophmore year of HS.

I hear you man!! I went to college at night after working 50+ hour work weeks. It took me 4 years to get my 2 year degree and I had to take a math class every single semester!! I cannot even tell you how many times I failed College Algebra. I never did pass it. I finally had to go to my advisor and beg them to let me take a different math class for my math credit. They let me take statistics instead which I failed twice before I finally passed it. I had straight A's in all my other classes but had a GPA of 2.0 because of failing so many math classes!! I HATE math!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 06:30 PM

I spent years of GCSE papers wondering why Nahasafeet couldn't count his own f**ckin change.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 06:32 PM

I have to take off form work every other Tuesday and not get paid to go to a class to learn stuff I cant use, then after a year I have to go 2 nights a week after work to learn stuff I already know.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 07:36 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
You are terrible!!!! do you ever rest???
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 PM

ahaha I've remembered that in the florida school system since i can remember. Even now in high school they do it, i personally love watching some kids try and pronounce the names hahaha. The worst thing is most of the names i've noticed is from mexican heritage. I really don't like how they teach in florida, If i would of stayed in my hometown St. Louis for all my school years i wonder if i'd be ahead...
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
You are terrible!!!! do you ever rest???
I cant rest man, my Jemsite brothers and sisters are counting on me to drag everything into the gutter.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 PM

Many years ago now lol, my maths teacher used to set us homework all the time like, I want you to complete page 54 questions 1-3.
yay only 3 questions you'd think till you get home and see,
Q1.1

And so on till you want to shoot your own face off.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
I have to give you credit for this one Scott. It is a rare gift to be able to come up with a retort of this calibur in only 5 minutes!! You've got skills my friend! lol

With skills like that...you'd make a good lyricist.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 08:23 PM

I prefer to be known as a Cunning Linguist
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
ahaha I've remembered that in the florida school system since i can remember. Even now in high school they do it, i personally love watching some kids try and pronounce the names hahaha. The worst thing is most of the names i've noticed is from mexican heritage. I really don't like how they teach in florida, If i would of stayed in my hometown St. Louis for all my school years i wonder if i'd be ahead...
I'll tell you how they teach in Florida!! I am a glowing example of the fine public school education we have here in the Sunshine State. I was a good student all my life, because if I wasn't my parents would kick my ass! I got good grades all through high school and graduated with A's and B's and a pretty high GPA like 3.8 or something.

I get to college and I had to take all these Pre-college courses in order to prepare me for getting college credit, that I had to pay for! I think for 3 semesters I had to take pre-college classes. This was all the crap I was supposed to have learned in my 4 years of high school!

At any given time Florida ranks anywhere from 47th -49th out of the 50 states in education. Every governor we get promises to improve the educational system and nothing ever changes!

It sucks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode