OMG no more guitars - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
OMG no more guitars

Ok, last month I was setting up my guitar and I took the neck off and the bridge out to clean it. My mom saw it and started yell at me along with my grandma. I had to shim it because the action was sorta off from my tech setting it up and forgetting the shim. I clean everything and put back together. The same guitar I bought some pickups for and took the stock pickups out. Again my mom and grandma saw me and started yelling at me agian. Everyday I pickup my guitar and play it, they start screaming at me because I unplug it. Everyday they tell me "If those were my guitars, I would have them polished, shining, in cases, strung up, tuned up, I would take them apart or anything you are doing to them." They dont know one single thing about guitars. They dont even know how to put them in a case and lock it. It made me soo mad today. Monday my mom told me I am going to take your check(in P.S.) and pay off her washer. I couldn't do anything because im 14 and didnt want her to take my guitars away. She told she would buy me a laptop instead of giving me the money.Today I told her instead of buying me a laptop I want a guitar. Again she started yelling and screaming. I tried talking to them but they started yelling. Im wanting a new guitar and the first of the month is coming. What should I do?

P.S. I get a check because I am physically disabled. My hips are disintegrating and its in both hips. $594 aint bad every month. I can walk and run but I cant do everything all my friends do. They told me since I take them apart and cut out the pickups they wasnt going to buy me anymore guitars or let me have my check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 PM

Re: OMG no more guitars

Sounds like my life back in the eighties, except I got my money from my paper route! Just tell her if you had a GOOD guitar then you wouldn't have to take it apart and fix it all the time. You need to save two checks to make this work. Saving makes you look responsible. Two checks will get you a Made in the USA San Dimas or a Prestige MIJ Ibanez. That is what you want when you are 14 to be cooler than your friends and make your gramma proud.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Sounds like my life back in the eighties, except I got my money from my paper route! Just tell her if you had a GOOD guitar then you wouldn't have to take it apart and fix it all the time. You need to save two checks to make this work. Saving makes you look responsible. Two checks will get you a Made in the USA San Dimas or a Prestige MIJ Ibanez. That is what you want when you are 14 to be cooler than your friends and make your gramma proud.
+1...
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:34 AM

Maybe just wit until they're in a calmer mood and then educate them about guitar maintenance and upgrading in a rational and mature way. Let them know you're improving the guitar, not hurting it. Take them to a guitar shop and let them talk to the tech about setups if they need independent verification.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 AM

Man I feel your pain I used to get that all the time, I had to bloody restring my guitar in private to avoid getting my head ripped off. Just be real *smart* and hand them the guitar(s) you own and tell them to get them looking good themselves, they'll be dumbfounded. Unless of course you want to take a more mature and nice approach that is.

Last edited by prydogga; 04-13-2009 at 11:19 PM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 AM
Banned

your mother sounds like a total a.s.s.h.o.l.e.if my son was disabled id want to make his life as comfortable as possible,not shouting at him every 5 mins.tell her to xxxx off
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:58 AM

Reviews: 2
Smile Re: OMG no more guitars

The best thing to do is to find a moment when they are in a good mood. Then start talking very calm and easy. When they argue wait untill they finish their words and only then say your answer.

You could start talking about something else first to make them comfortable with that.
Usually I am a nasty mouth, very angry and harsh but when I want something from someone I use the mother Teresa voice. It always works.

You could use some apologies and then some explanations about guitars and stuff. Try to be very clear when you state your point. You could rehearse the dialog in your mind. I usually work at stuff like that for days or weeks. When I go in front of the person it works so nice and smooth. It takes me no more than 5 minutes to get what I want.

Don't forget to smile, jokes are very useful.

There are some more tips but I didn't need it for some time so I'm not in the mood for explaining such strategies.

Don't forget, all that matters is what you get in the end. There's no room for pride and joy in here. It's just a fight of the minds, senses and feelings.

You have to win.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochimaru View Post
The best thing to do is to find a moment when they are in a good mood. Then start talking very calm and easy. When they argue wait untill they finish their words and only then say your answer.

Ive tried this many times and she just doesn't talk to me.

I plan on saving my check and buying me a PGM100 original or reissue. I love those things. Or a 550, 565, or 770.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 PM

practice like hell and get good on guitar so you can make them eat thier words.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Reviews: 2

Maybe she doesn't like the music you play. Try to find out what is she listening and maybe playing one or two songs of her favourites could make her change her mind.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
your mother sounds like a total a.s.s.h.o.l.e.if my son was disabled id want to make his life as comfortable as possible,not shouting at him every 5 mins.tell her to xxxx off
Sounds like suicide to me but then again my mum is a geordie and keeps threatening me with a biff round the lug holes, whatever that means.

kshands, when you take the guitars apart, do you put them back together and get them working? I could see their point if you were just pulling them apart, but as long as the all go back together, what is the issue.

Why not write a song for the female members of your family. If they see you doing something creative and positive with your instrument, then maybe they will cut you a little slack, and there is no more personal gift than a song

Do not cover "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama" though
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:55 PM

this is a really funny thread hahaha. your mom and grandma yell at you whenever they see you modding?

hahaha they must think you're that character "sid" from "Toy Story" hahha

lets clear this up though: who do you get a check from because you're disabled? Did you win a lawsuit against someone who hurt you and thus you are entitled to free cash every month?

also, good call on the guitar vs. laptop theory. Rule #1 in technology is planned obsolesence my friend. 2 years from now whatever you buy will be out of date, too slow, and too big. As much as I love computers, its true- they're the boob tube of the 2000's

Spend that money wisely on a valuable or rare guitar that 1) doesnt depreciate 2) never goes out of style 3)you can have fun with and practice.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 PM

What a horrible woman, she doesnt want you to buy any more guitars, and atleast one side of the story has her yelling at you all day every day, why did she even bother giving birth to you, feeding you, or giving you a place to live.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Reviews: 22

Now 'cid, is life without guitars life worth living?

you were a teen once....
along time ago
in a galaxy far far away
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 PM

yeah I was, but I wouldn't just sit back while someone called my mom a "total *******".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode