from one generation to another - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

from one generation to another

Hey people of the Jem, I came to thinking the other day and realized - my generation(I'm 17) is pretty much buried.not going to delve to deep into that, but just look around at people my age, and for the most part, they're all entitled... people...

What I'm curious about is, how old are you, and what do you think of the adolescent generation of today?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:47 PM

Re: from one generation to another

I'm 35, and I think the younger generations are extremely lucky. You have every single little bit of information at your finger tips.

Google, and Youtube are amazing sources of information.

You can learn for free, if you know what to look for and how to learn.

A quick example, my fiancee came home one day with a 300 level maths uni assignment, which had some complex calculus equation solving rubbish in it. I recognised the notation from when I was at uni, but I couldn't remember how to do it. Even then, when I did do it at uni (15 years ago) I futzed my way through it because I didn't quite understand it then even....and the tutor and lecturer for 300 maths I had were useless.

Anyway, I looked it up on Youtube and someone had actually put up a video explaining exactly how, why, and what to do. He did multiple examples on the video showing his working and thought process the entire time. After 5mins of that, I remembered how to do it, but more than that, I understood it more than I did back when I was actually at uni.

Everything is available now. It's amazing.

The guitar stuff, my God. Be happy that you will NEVER know the pain of hearing a guitar part, looking to find a tab book in the store, seeing the tab, and going, "HUH?!"

...AND THEN, going back to the guitar store to try and find an instructional book that explained how to do what you had just seen, finding the book, reading he explaination and trying to play the exercises and going, "HUH?!?"

Now, Youtube, search, find, watch someone's hand close up, and slow, then fast, click on description and find tab. lol. It's just all there now, on demand.

My fiancee is of a younger generation, and there I can see many differences. The main one being, she doesn't care about the HOW of the way things work. Me, I always go out of my way to find out how things work...to the point of disassembly, and reassembly. She just cares that whatever is meant to come out, comes out at the end.

But in the end, there are gems in every generation.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM

Oh one thing I really don't get. WTF do people of your generation see in PewDiePie (on youtube)??? I can't stand the way he talks on his video's!!! It's so annoying! LOL

But he's super successful, and I think targets your generation....and it works. It's cool and everything, it's just, why does it work? What does your generation like about him?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM

Actually IMO older generations are more entitled. They get angry at thinggs like outsourcing instead of admitting they are replaceable and should have worked harder to make themselves more valuable than someone in a third world country.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Actually IMO older generations are more entitled. They get angry at thinggs like outsourcing instead of admitting they are replaceable and should have worked harder to make themselves more valuable than someone in a third world country.
I haven't come across that.

I disagree about "should have worked harder to make themselves more valuable than someone in a third world country".

Basic economics shows that, due to the global nature of business now and in the future, all a third world country needs is the infrastructure to begin down the road of becoming a first world country.

India is a perfect example. They started with a telephone infrastructure and helpdesks. Now big companies like IBM, HP, etc have skilled workers based in India. It's not just the support people now, it's Developers, Project Managers, Program Managers, Project Executives!

Big business will always invest wherever there is a cheaper workforce, as long as there is the infrastructure to be able to support it.

IT use to pay very big dollars in the 90's. It now pays less than 1/2 of what it did back then (in Australia atleast), and the cost of living here is now more than 5 times what it was back then.

As one of the older generation compared to those in their twenties I consider myself extremely lucky to have been able to start working when I did, and have enough to purchase property when I did, and in no way do I feel "entitled". Everything I have I worked extremely hard for. Maybe you have a different definition for entitled? But I consider anyone that gets anything for nothing and then assumes they'll keep getting anything for nothing as "entitled".

If I was starting now as a 20-30 year old there is no conceivable way that I could afford to buy a house on a big block of land in Sydney. The average buy in 45mins out of central Sydney is now $1,000,000 (more than double what it was in the mid 2000's.

The best work to be in these days in some kind of local labor work. Electrician, Plumber, Carpenter. Especially in a developing area. You will never be offshored, the need for reskilling is not that high, and the pay is good and frequent. ...and the requirement for unpaid overtime doesn't exist...AND the amount of money you make is directly proportional to how hard you work. The older generation (to me) that I've seen have worked their arses off, and have had their jobs given to multiple, less-skilled people in a cheaper geo. If they're grumpy about that, I can understand why. It's justified and not anywhere near a sense of "entitlement".

Hell, even I'm disappointed that I missed out on the good old days of working hard for one company, and rising through the ranks and achieving better pay each time. It just doesn't happen anymore. If you want more money, you have to leave the company and go to a competitor. Large companies appear to put little value on people now. It's just the way things are, but not the way things should be. If you dedicate your life, as some of the older generation have, there should be some reward. But there isn't.

Last edited by wilch; 09-02-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: grammar and additions...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:03 PM

I'm 38 and definitely see the entitlement in the younger generations. Also as already mentioned, the younger generations have everything at their fingertips because of the internet. When I was a teenager, you had to really work at researching and finding information. Now days, that same information doesn't require any effort and IMO isn't appreciated as much.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the whole "Daddy will buy me a new one" attitude really sucks sh*t, I'd like to think I'm not that way, hopefully. Pardon Mon français, I just wish it wasn't so taken for granted.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 09:46 PM

It's definitely different in many ways... the same in others. I'm 45 fyi.. As for music and learning guitar? Just like Wilch said... whole new ball game now! The hours I spent rewinding cassette tapes trying to learn a song... arg! So easy now.

I don't see the work ethic in the younger generation as in older generations. Maybe its an entitlement thing... but nobody starts out as a CEO. It is nice to see teenage boys out throwing hay in the summer to earn a few dollars, working HARD all day. Far too many are loafing around, and some of that may be the fault of the parents in providing everything in excess, but thats just my opinion. Look at the role models for today's youth... more often than not it's a pro sports athlete or mouthy rapper. Not their dad that worked hard his whole life just happy to make a living and raise his kids with a clean house and decent clothes. Not their grandpa that fought his way through ww2 to make the world a better place. (geez, I sound OLD... lol)

As for making a living in this world, I think it is a lot tougher these days. Everything has gone up in price so much that its hard for a kid to get out there in the world and make a living without getting themselves buried debt in college. I don't envy the younger generation... much... lol!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

I get where you're coming from, I guess the benefit of being a farm kid and having absolute CRAP for Internet has helped out. Gotta love the simple things
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 09:58 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetar_kid View Post
What I'm curious about is, how old are you, and what do you think of the adolescent generation of today?
I'm 33, and I think adolescents of today rely too much on technology to think for them. It's like technology isn't there to help their brains... but rather to replace their brains. Comparing to adolescents of my generation, adolescents of today, to me, seem a lot more stupid and less creative because of this. Maybe I'm too pessimist, but I see the future of Idiocracy getting closer every day.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post

Hell, even I'm disappointed that I missed out on the good old days of working hard for one company, and rising through the ranks and achieving better pay each time. It just doesn't happen anymore. If you want more money, you have to leave the company and go to a competitor. Large companies appear to put little value on people now. It's just the way things are, but not the way things should be. If you dedicate your life, as some of the older generation have, there should be some reward. But there isn't.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Nobody deserves anything. If you don't pull your own weight and make yourself an asset to the company you work for, then why should they keep you around?

I own my own company and there is no way I would keep someone around if they were jeopardizing the well-being of the company by failing to make themselves worth more than their competition. Everyone is replaceable as far as I'm concerned, don't want to be replaceable? Then risk your own life savings by starting your own company
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 01:17 AM

I'm 24 and even though I'm considered one of the 'entitled' generation, everything I ever had wasn't given to me for nothing.
I had a roof over my head and food on the table. We were never hungry or wore tattered clothes. Dad did well for himself, so did mom, but they grew up working their butts off to get where they are now, so they instilled in me and my sissy the ethic that you 'reap what you sow'. Even when we were kids, we had 'jobs' to do. Sure it was just chores, but if I wanted a new mouse, or to upgrade my PC, or a new pair of 'dirty jeans' (I was a bit of a Tom-Boy) I'd be given certain 'extra' jobs to do to earn it.
I've been working since I was 17, part time while in school, full time now (full time a few times while in college too) and I don't expect anything to be handed to me, nor do I think I deserve anything more than to be treated fairly in what's expected of me.
I worked at Wal*Mart for several years, and they refused to work with me about my schedule even though when they hired me they knew I was in school and during the school year I couldn't work certain hours.....but I digress......
I look at people my age, some of my friends even, and think 'My God, how are they going to survive when mommy and daddy finally tell them to get out of the house and get a job'?
I'm sure many of them will end up in my guest room, until I decide to kick them out. LOL
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Nobody deserves anything. If you don't pull your own weight and make yourself an asset to the company you work for, then why should they keep you around?

I own my own company and there is no way I would keep someone around if they were jeopardizing the well-being of the company by failing to make themselves worth more than their competition. Everyone is replaceable as far as I'm concerned, don't want to be replaceable? Then risk your own life savings by starting your own company
Already there. But I have no employees and also work full time to actually earn a living.

As a company owner, depending on the industry you are in, you should know (or look into if you haven't already) outsourcing is extremely beneficial to your bottom line. If your industry already has the infrastructure in place there is no reason at all to hire anyone locally no matter what they appear to be able to do for you.

In IT for example, it's not as black and white as you seem to be putting it. We have reached a point where cheap no longer means unskilled.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:34 AM

And by "already there" I mean I own a registered Australian business and pay taxes to the government on the earnings of that business.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:00 AM

I certainly prefer to hire locally just because its a bit of a PITA to coordinate things across multiple time zones, but yes, outsourcing is great.

Tags
adult , compare , kid , teen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode