In and Out of Disney on 1 salary ;) - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

In and Out of Disney on 1 salary ;)

I know a lot of folks here have done the Disney thing, and have picked up lots of "next time I'll...." type of tips along the way. My bride and I are taking the kids down for the first time in early September, and was wondering what the collective experience here could help me with.

We've looked at renting a house nearby, staying inside Disney, getting the "meal plan" and going without, all sorts of options. Any non-obvious benefits to any of this stuff? Are the "hopper" tickets worth the money? I'm assuming early September will be thnderstorm season, do they close the parks for the day for afternoon thunderstorms?

There are 6 of us; the bride and I and four kids ages 11, 9, 8, and 5.

We haven't booked anything yet, but we'd like to get that sorted in the near future. We're pretty much set on driving there and back and skipping the airfare and rental car charges. We're hoping to stay under 3 grand for 5 nights if we can.

Thanks!

jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: In and Out of Disney on 1 salary ;)

i've been there once with kids (last spring they just turned were age 4 & 2). was there when gina & i were dating (no kids).

watch the park tickets and factor that in your hotel. you'll see if you stay "outside the park" you'll pay 2x for park tickets. at 6 people it adds up.

if you only want to hit one major park per day you save $$$ too. You pay more to have access to magic kingdom and MGM studios both in the same day. Also you see that each day you stay the park tix are cheaper... 5 days is about the same as 4 days.

you REALLY want to figure out what you'll do now, otherwise you'll pay 2x in park tix. we always took the disney transportation and that is good and bad. There can be lines and always delays but it's convenient and we never rented a car. Check parking passes and what it costs to park.

meal plan is useless for young kids or if you're not regimented... sometimes you have to be in a set spot at set time also. You guys might benefit from it and to save $$$ avoid "character" stuff and just get the meals. IMHO the disney $$$ prices are not bad (like going to Yankee stadium or the Meadowlands) and actually fair. I've never fine dined there, and there is a dearth of restaurants with long lines however during peak times.

parks will be open unless lightening (great adventure is the same way here) or severe weather alerts.

disney.com has alot of prices to check

if you didn't drive i'd say no brainer to stay "in park", get the free airport transport, etc. i think the park tix would make staying in vs out the decider their hotels are somewhat reasonably priced and even if you just wanted to park the car and take the trams around disney you can't do that out of the park...g
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:35 PM

Also if you stay in a disney hotel you get into the parks earlier.
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that's true about the parkling. You can get a 5 bedroom house 10 miles from Disney with a game room and pool for 750 or so...the 'in Disney' hotel rooms are smaller than a pack of matches but I guess we won't be in them too often anway We'll probably end up staying in Disney this time, and getting a rental house next trip and do Universal. I've heard that the Universal tickets w/SeaWorld are quite a bit cheaper than Disney. My wife is dead set on Disney first, so we haven't really looked there.

Our local school system just anounced they aren't opening on 9/3 after all, but 9/10, so that's when we're going (9/2 through 9/8, likely). We're hoping the rest of the country will be back in school and the lines will be shorter for everything. Hoping being the key work in that sentence!
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Dang Jim.... driving down from Jersey w/ kids will be at least two day "adventure" both ways......(about 1200 mi. ?) Check with a local travel agency and see what they have to offer. I'll bet you can get airline, room, and passes for your 3G's. Be sure to get a package with "Disney Magical Express" service, that'll get you from airport to Disney with ease. Then your just working out car rental, meals & gas. I'll agree with Glen package deal is the way to go. Besides car rental for one or two days to sight see is not that expensive. And you eliminate all the logistics you'll be trying to figure out.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Jemsite has offered a lot of good info. You can also get a free travel planning DVD that might help you. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/dis...RGoogle&bhcp=1

I always get a discount for being a Florida resident, but I think for out of staters, the Park Hopper passes are probably the best way to go. Let me just tell you though, that if you can come at another time other than September you'll probably have a much better experience. August and September are the two hottest months here and it's also the height of our hurricane season when we get the most storms. I'd just hate to have you come down here and have a miserable time because of the heat or worse to have your vacation cut short by a hurricane. November is a much better month to come down if you can swing it then.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:48 PM

We just went in April (we'll pick a different time of the year next time.) I got hopper passes and for us it just wasn't worth it. You need at least a whole day for each park and traveling between parks during the day is just a time waster.

We were lucky enough to have relatives with a time-share in Orlando. The Sheraton Vistana was sweet!
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
Let me just tell you though, that if you can come at another time other than September you'll probably have a much better experience. August and September are the two hottest months here and it's also the height of our hurricane season when we get the most storms. I'd just hate to have you come down here and have a miserable time because of the heat or worse to have your vacation cut short by a hurricane. November is a much better month to come down if you can swing it then.
+1 on that...
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I'm told if you leave aroubnd midnight and drive straight through it's about 12 to 13 hours. The kids will sleep, we can swap the driving duties, etc. I figure about 300 for gas, which would be cheaper enough than 6 round trip tickets and a possible car rental. I will double check it before making any final decisions though.

And I ordered that DVD, thanks!
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:00 PM

Actually I think if you book now (before June) you get a discount too. November would be a good time..... but September isn't that bad either. Afternoon showers are always a possibility in the summer along with a hurricane. But what the hay..... you could have a heart attack too! Besides it's not really "hotter" during those months just higher humidity. Come on now you'll have them believing it'll be 110 in the shade!
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i dont think 13 hrs is reasonable. when i drove to atlanta from here (60-min north of you on turnpike?) it was 13 hours w/ barely lunch and bathroom breaks and that was about 840 miles & change. Disney has to be 1000+ miles.

check plane tix before finalizing and also if you take a plane consider skipping the car rental. i know you have the airport hassle and parking but you'll spend several hundred on gasoline... glen
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

It's often feels like 110 in the shade in NYC in July and August, so big deal there
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
i dont think 13 hrs is reasonable. when i drove to atlanta from here (60-min north of you on turnpike?) it was 13 hours w/ barely lunch and bathroom breaks and that was about 840 miles & change. Disney has to be 1000+ miles.

check plane tix before finalizing and also if you take a plane consider skipping the car rental. i know you have the airport hassle and parking but you'll spend several hundred on gasoline... glen
I'll double check, but I was planning on driving at night with a GPS and Valentine 1 At this point we haven't committed to anything other than simply going, so if we can skip the driving that's fine by me. I don't think my wife wanted to tell the kids where we were going until we actually pulled up though. She likes surprises!
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Yeah, that's true about the parkling. You can get a 5 bedroom house 10 miles from Disney with a game room and pool for 750 or so...the 'in Disney' hotel rooms are smaller than a pack of matches but I guess we won't be in them too often anway We'll probably end up staying in Disney this time, and getting a rental house next trip and do Universal. I've heard that the Universal tickets w/SeaWorld are quite a bit cheaper than Disney. My wife is dead set on Disney first, so we haven't really looked there.

Our local school system just anounced they aren't opening on 9/3 after all, but 9/10, so that's when we're going (9/2 through 9/8, likely). We're hoping the rest of the country will be back in school and the lines will be shorter for everything. Hoping being the key work in that sentence!
you are correct about the universal and sea world tickets being cheaper, they are way cheaper. You can do busch gardens and seaworld(owned by the same company) for like a week for the price of one day at Disney most of the time. Universal is cheaper too, you can do both universal parks for the price of a day at Disney. I've gone done to orlando and tampa twice in the last year and a half cuz I love theme parks. I must say that I like universal and buschgardens better then disney. Disney was fun but when you factored in the cost of the other places and more stuff older kids/adults at the other parks they were just more enjoyable.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:10 PM

Wow Jim! I didn't know you had (4) kids, you busy bugger Good choice with the The Disney parks. They are a lot of fun for kids and adults. My dad used to take us when we were kids, but after that, I hadn't been for years until just a couple years ago. I think I had more fun now than when I was a kid

Cheapest way would be if you happen to have friends in the Orlando Area who would shack ya up for a few nights Probably the best was to go about it is check out all the "Deal Packages" (and there are a LOT) Not only disney.com, but also check orbitz.com and travelocity.com. Both have great deal pacs available. Some include the airfare, parks tixs and hotels (in the park) Are you sure you want to drive?? Gas prices are rediculous You may be able to get a deal pac that would end up being cheaper if you fly. (just another option) Otherwise go for the deal pacs with the park ticks and in park lodging. They also have Value priced lodging in the park that are a LOT cheaper than the "big" hotels and still nice rooms, etc. Yet another option would be to just get the park tix pkg without the lodging as there are several Super 8's and Howard Johnsons very close proximity that have VERY reasonable room rates.

Magic Kindom (kids fav) and mine, lol is pretty big so you'll probably want a whole day for that park.

Epcot Center (even bigger) is pretty cool to, but a bit more of an adult theme although the kids will still enjoy Again, you probably want one full day.

MGM and Animal Kingdom - if need be you can probably do both of these in one day. also lots of fun!! The animal kindom is COOL!!

HAVE FUN

Tags
crystal planet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode