Outlook Express Address Book Lost - Any software?? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

Outlook Express Address Book Lost - Any software??

When I had to do a reinstall of everything last month due to a virus, somehow my OE Address Book was lost. It should have been backed up by the backup program but after everything was put back in, it was empty. That's around 13,000 contacts gone ;/

I have a much older version saved but it's only about 6000 strong.

Is there any software made for this situation, that can go through your inbox folder[s] and data mine up a new address book from all the saved emails?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:49 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Outlook Express Address Book Lost - Any software??

did you try to recover the addybook file(s) from disc? chances are it might still be recoverable unless you overwrote your entire hard drive to capacity a few times... glen
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

Remember, I'm not the genious here

My computer guy does all the work. He reformatted the drive I'd guess. How can I tell if the data can be recovered?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:38 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

email sent. worth a try or digging around more... glen
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

It's fixed. It was still in the backup file, it just wouldn't restore. We restored it into a temp folder and imported it, so it's back.

Now, I could still use a email address bot to go through all these folders of price quote requests, It would make a monster Ibanez email list
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:37 PM

Rich, you might want to consider upgrading to Outlook - it is an upgrade in every sense, and it's way more robust than Outlook Express. Besides, it's also extremely easy to backup contacts and messages. The biggest advantage is having all your data in a single (or multiple) .PST file which can be stored on a file server or on a secondary partition so hard drive crashes don't affect anything. OE's storage system is a bit more complicated than that.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

The only problem with making a change like that is, I know where all the folders are I need to backup for OE, I don't have a clue where there are for O, and I wouldn't know how to get everything changed over
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM

That's the thing, Outlook is easier... YOU pick where you want to save your mail (PST file). If you store it on a secondary partition other than your primary (Windows), you wouldn't need to back it up in the event of Windows crashing.

Your computer guy should know how to import all emails/addresses from Outlook Express into Outlook and set it up for you to get you going. I would have been happy to set you up for free if I wasn't living a few 1000 miles away
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:25 PM

I use web based mail thru my ISP Comast. I can't lose any of my contacts or saved mail if something happens to my PC. Since I stopped using OE I have not had any virus issues at all as all the mail that hits their servers is automatically scanned.

I also use a second hard drive to back all my important stuff like music etc. If my main drives gets wiped I still have all my stuff. Been running current install for three years with no probs at all.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
That's the thing, Outlook is easier... YOU pick where you want to save your mail (PST file). If you store it on a secondary partition other than your primary (Windows), you wouldn't need to back it up in the event of Windows crashing.

Your computer guy should know how to import all emails/addresses from Outlook Express into Outlook and set it up for you to get you going. I would have been happy to set you up for free if I wasn't living a few 1000 miles away
I might consider that next time something goes crazy, but right now I'm back to a comfortable status quo.

It wasn't an email that gave me the virus, as far as I can figure it was a link on ibanezregister that was sending me to somebodies my space or something page, and that's where I got it.

My system backup backs up onto my D drive so it's [mostly] all good.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 07:09 AM

Reviews: 25

Might I suggest buying a second Hardrive for the sole purpose of mirror imaging your hardrive. Each week or every day totally up to you, you make an exact mirror image of your HD, and when you system dies, or virus kills it or for whatever reason, you just switch HD's and in 30 secs or less your back to normal...

its the best system Hands down........ sometimes I prefer it to raid, as the backup HD is seperate from the system, so if the system is shocked or blows up its seperate from the computer...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
its the best system Hands down........
Hardware-based RAID 1 is the best system, zero downtime My desktop has been running on it for years.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

I have a second drive that I backup everything to daily. As for RAID, I've heard of it of course, it kills bugs dead!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:35 PM

Hah, yeah it does that too
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:47 PM

Reviews: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
Hardware-based RAID 1 is the best system, zero downtime My desktop has been running on it for years.
Yeah like I stated I said I sometimes prefer it to raid, and also if your computer is shocked or both drives go at once, and dont say it will never happen cause it can and has happened then your screwed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode