pc game opinion - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

pc game opinion

i don't have time to game too much but when i do i'm a fan of the first person shooter, half life, castle wolfenstein, etc. into the ghosts and zombies and creepy corridor hauntings. diablo was great for this but i didn't make it past the 10th level when i started playing it. same old thing, and i could see doing 100 levels of that or however many there were. anyway, the makers of diablo now have a new game under a new co. name. who owns the game HELLGATE, and do you like it? i understand it's a first person shooter but with the diablo overtones. i'm not really looking for a slow role playing game....more a first person with the eerie feel....looks like this game has all that. give me some opinions on the game that fits this bill. i hear good things about crysis as well (sp?) but don't know much about it. i have a core 2 duo with an nvidia 8800 GT and i am curious as to what this card can do, since i have only used the machine for photos and video editing and will be using it for the new pro tools studio as well. oh, i did purchase FEAR awhile back but have not installed that. from what i hear it's pretty spooky to play especially at night. that's cool.
thanks,
steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Re: pc game opinion

Doom 3 was a good first person shooter. Diablo was not first person, though it was a great game.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:33 PM

I have an intel E6750 @ 3 Ghz (1500 Mhz FSB) and 2 x 8800 GTS 320 in SLI, I can just play crysis on very high at 1200 x 800 at 20 to 25 fps and I get 30 to 40 fps on high.

Crysis does does not officially support SLI yet and I get TERRIBLE fps with it enabled so I'll have to wait for the patch to come out this month then see if it's worth keeping both cards. Other than that it's a great game but really buggy, hopefully the patch will solve the performance issues but most people will allready have finished the game by then.

Call of Duty 4 has one of the best multiplayers ever made, but don't buy it you don't have alot of bandwidth because the single player is only 5 hours long and is only worth finishing once. COD4 is a walk in the park for any 8800 so don't buy it just to test out your rig.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 PM

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is a first person shooter in an eerie post-apocalyptic setting of modern Chernobyl, Ukraine... I suggest it for a bargain or rental. It is a difficult, sometimes stressful game, but if you can clear your mind and really try to be in the game, the atmosphere is quite incredible. And yes, it should give your 8800GTS a good work out, I was unsatisfied with how it ran on my 7900GS (1024, high graphics, full dynamic lighting).
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is a first person shooter in an eerie post-apocalyptic setting of modern Chernobyl, Ukraine... I suggest it for a bargain or rental. It is a difficult, sometimes stressful game, but if you can clear your mind and really try to be in the game, the atmosphere is quite incredible. And yes, it should give your 8800GTS a good work out, I was unsatisfied with how it ran on my 7900GS (1024, high graphics, full dynamic lighting).
That is a great game but very underdone, the graphics were very poorly optimized and eventually they fixed this (somewhat) with the 5th patch, it ran like **** on mine as well until they finally released that patch and it works fairly well now. So yeah it (unpatched) will give your machine a workout but it's only because it's poorly optimized, not because the graphics are any good.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Banned

Doom 3. The scariest game I've ever heard of. Turn off the lights, turn up your speakers, or head phones!!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 PM

Reviews: 120

Don't forget F.E.A.R either, been playing this since I finally upgraded my pc from an old Athlon XP to a Quad Core Intel and got a PCI-E video card.
LonePhantom is online  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
I have an intel E6750 @ 3 Ghz (1500 Mhz FSB) and 2 x 8800 GTS 320 in SLI, I can just play crysis on very high at 1200 x 800 at 20 to 25 fps and I get 30 to 40 fps on high.

Crysis does does not officially support SLI yet and I get TERRIBLE fps with it enabled so I'll have to wait for the patch to come out this month then see if it's worth keeping both cards. Other than that it's a great game but really buggy, hopefully the patch will solve the performance issues but most people will allready have finished the game by then.

Call of Duty 4 has one of the best multiplayers ever made, but don't buy it you don't have alot of bandwidth because the single player is only 5 hours long and is only worth finishing once. COD4 is a walk in the park for any 8800 so don't buy it just to test out your rig.
COD4 RULESSSSSSS.. i play with 150-250 ping and do fine..

frame rate > graphics.. i always aim for 70 fps.. i know that is impossible in crysis at the moment though lol.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
COD4 RULESSSSSSS.. i play with 150-250 ping and do fine..

frame rate > graphics.. i always aim for 70 fps.. i know that is impossible in crysis at the moment though lol.
I get 60 indoors.. sometimes :P

The humnan eye can only discern a change in fps below 27 hertz so anything above that is fine, Human reaction time is approx 1.5 miliseconds so anything below 150 ping is fine.

Either way any console games are childs play for modern PC's, COD4 and bioshock run at 75 fps which is the max of my monitor so they probably run alot higher.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys. i am going to load FEAR tonight....bought it a year ago and never loaded it. i just found a copy of doom3 as well that i never opened. yeah i know, that's sacrilege.....been busy i guess. thanks for the opinions and info!
Steve
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 AM

Reviews: 25

why not download demos of the games you think might be fun and that way you will know first hand if you like something or not...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
The humnan eye can only discern a change in fps below 27 hertz
That depends heavily on the conditions. Many FPS games involve rapid movement by player, and as a consequence, rapidly changing scenery, making even small changes in fps potentially very noticeable as lag or "jumps" in the game.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
thanks guys. i am going to load FEAR tonight....bought it a year ago and never loaded it. i just found a copy of doom3 as well that i never opened. yeah i know, that's sacrilege.....been busy i guess. thanks for the opinions and info!
Steve
I played FEAR on the console and it was sick as all hell...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr Machine View Post
That depends heavily on the conditions. Many FPS games involve rapid movement by player, and as a consequence, rapidly changing scenery, making even small changes in fps potentially very noticeable as lag or "jumps" in the game.
As long as it stays above 27 you won't notice any change, this means the min fps can't be lower than 27 and for that you need an average of at least 30. This is the main reason that SLI was created, in the vast majority of cases it doesn't increase the maximum fps (it more often decreases it) but rather increases the min fps so you should have a more stable avg.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Just installed the Crysis patch, SLI performance is better but that isn't saying much, it's still 10 fps below single gpu and it hung once.

Also no improvement in single gpu other than the frame rate is slightly more stable. Maybe the patch was just for the .000000001% of crysis players with SLI GTX's and Ultras

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode