PC Gaming - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
PC Gaming

OK Guys, here's a thing. For a while I've not really enjoyed PC gaming, there simply haven't been any new games I've wanted to play that haven't been on playstation.

My favourite games on PC have been Deus Ex and Knights of the Old Republic and really old school classics like Syndicate.

Next year though, the third installment of the Deus Ex series comes out and I'm actually thinking, 'Hey, my old PC just isn't going to cope with that'

So I've started looking into getting a new PC. But DAMN!!!! Things have moved on since I last bought one so I don't know what I'm looking for, to be honest I don't even understand the terminology anymore, and how much RAM I need, how big a graphics card I need and so on. Having said that I don't want to spend a year's wages on a gaming PC that will cost thousands and thousands of pounds. I want something that will let me and my wife do everything our current (and 5 years old) PC does, but that will also let me play some decent new games.

In particular Deus Ex 3.

So what do I want, aqnd what do I need? Talk to me like I'm a moron on this (n.b. - this is your only chance to talk to me like I'm a moron, normally I'd ban yo' ass fo' that ), because the nearest I get to "Hi Tech" is my Line 6 gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 PM

Re: PC Gaming

How much are you willing to spend?

Do you need a new monitor, keyboard, etc...?

If not, I can spec out a great system for under $800. Probably cheaper than that.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

What I'm sort of after is an "off the shelf system" where it can be delivered to the house with an onsite maintenance policy.

I'm rubbish with PCs and have NO intention of actually doing anything more technical than opening the door to the set up guy

What I'd really appreciate knowing is how fast a processor I want (what's a quad core etc) and how much memory I need, and why I want 2 graphics cards?

I'm after a desktop and a monitor and a keyboard and mouse. I'd like to spend about 1000 which is probably about $1600 when you factor in exchnage rates and local pricing.

Thanks in advance,
jono
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:08 PM

For gaming, I would go with 4GB of RAM without a question.

You don't need two graphics cards at all. A lot of the time, SLI (Nvidia's dual card feature) and Crossfire (ATI's dual card feature) are a big waste of money unless you are playing games at extremely high resolutions. Even then, you can get a single card that offers close to the same peformance.

As far as processors go, most gamers today go with either a quad core or a dual core. Single core processors (Pentium 4, etc...) are a thing of the past for gaming. However, most games don't fully take advantage of quad core CPUs.

This leads to an issue when picking a dual core versus a quad core. Effectively, you have to pay more per core with a quad core CPU. For example, a quad core CPU with the same speed as a dual core CPU is significantly more expensive, since it's has four cores. This is well worth it if you play games that take advantage of quad core CPUs. Yet if the game you want to play doesn't take advantage of quad core architecture (ie - most of the games out now), then you're going to get the same performance you would have gotten with the dual core CPU, making those extra cores a waste of money.

For example, if you are spending $300 on a CPU, and you play games that don't support quad cores, then you would want to go with the $300 dual core over the $300 quad core, as you would get better performance.

With that said, there are probably going to be more games coming out within the next year that take advantage of quad cores, so you have to keep that in mind. It really comes down to what games you are desiring to play.

Keyboard, mouse, and monitors are all relatively personal preferences. I'd recommend a 22 inch widescreen monitor though. Samsung usually puts out grat LCD monitors these days.

I know might sound daunting, but building your own PC isn't difficult at all, and you can save a lot too. It's really just like building with LEGOS, . There are tons of helpful guides and forums out there (Anandtech, [H]ardOCP). Plus, if you put you're own quality time into it, you'll probably encounter less stability problems, whereas a kid in some sweatshop in China slaps together a hundred computers a day without putting quality work into it. I built my first computer three years ago, and I've yet to encounter any problems whatsoever. It's been rock solid.

Last edited by waylay00; 09-28-2008 at 12:17 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

Jono, what waylay said... get the fastest GHz dual-core or quad-core box with 4GB RAM is needed (assuming you have Vista32 - if you use Vista64 then 8GB would be recommended as it can be addressed.

The key is the video card you add, and that should really be done yourself or you'll vastly overpay. You can do that and not void any warranties. The ones Waylay said the faster and more RAM on the card will let the dual/quad-core CPUs to have more system RAM at their disposal... glen
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 02:12 PM

If it is just the one game, I wouldn't necessarily bother if your current PC is fine for everything else you need it for. My understanding is Deus Ex 3 is coming out for PS3 and X-Box 360 as well, even if you don't have one already, it is cheaper to just buy one of the consoles than a PC.

What you need is going to depend on the specs, the minimum you need to actually play the game might be quite low or quite high, it really can vary a lot. There are some games where the minimum specs can still basically ramp almost every setting up pretty high and others where the minimum specs can't even really play the lowest setting at all. It really depends on the game and that isn't something that can be predicted until it is out.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Dee

Jono, you sure you don't want to build a PC yourself? It's very easy. Waylay's advice is spot on. I'll add another small point: quad core CPU's = higher electricity bills.

1000 would build you a ridiculously fast PC nowadays. If you ever want a cutom PC, I can build you a great one.

If you're planning on buying a ready-built system, a fast dual core setup is the way to go for now, IMO. Quad cores are for later as not much software or games take advantage. For gaming and general use? Go dual for a dual core of around 3.00GHz and higher. 2GB of decent RAM (something around DDR1066/PC2-8500) is usually sufficient, but 4GB would serve you well with certain games and depending on your operating system.

For the record, I'm currently running an Intel E8600 overclocked to 4.33GHz on an Asus P5Q-E board with 2x1GB CellShock PC2-800 RAM @ DDR1154 (uses Micron D9GKX chips, for those in the know). This system screams.

Last edited by Dee; 09-28-2008 at 03:12 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'm quite good at LEGO, I can build racing cars, or spaceships or...

But building PCs I SOoooooooooooo don't think so

The PC world website has stupdily expensive systems, but all I want is Deus Ex 3 on PC (the other ones sucked on console.) I'm probably not going to pull the plug until New Year but I might be intouch in a bit Dee if I decide not to go the off the shelf route

What's DDR PC2 Ram? Does it bleat
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Dee

Yes, it bleats! At least, I hope it does. I paid good money for this!

You can get a pretty decent gaming system from overclockers.co.uk. I'd avoid PC World. Although, saying that, OCUK can be a pain when it comes to after-sales service.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...php?groupid=43
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 PM

dude, you can pick and choose your parts from newegg.com and they will build your computer for you, my buddy who is legally blind had them do that for him.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Dee

Jono is in the UK. They have no Newegg.

"Legally blind"? Does that mean one can be illegally blind?

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:33 PM

oh right...lame...overclockers.uk looks similar though...

Legally blind simply means that the government recognizes it as a disability, and can get benefits from the government if he so chooses.

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 09-28-2008 at 04:42 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Dee

I know. Newegg were supposed to get a UK store a few years back but it never happened.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM

I'm with you Jono. Deus Ex was the last PC game that really held my attention. Looking forward to the new installment myself.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Plus Alex Brandon who worked on the music for the original Deus Ex
(which made the atmosphere of the game so perfect) is a member here - although I've not seen him for a while

Tags
pc gaming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

24WMGX³ good for gaming?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode