pc problems AGAIN :( - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

pc problems AGAIN :(

hi lads.got some pc issuse's here fxxxing getting sick of it.ok pc running very slow compared to how it used to run,pc freeze's sometimes so have to turn pc off by wall (socket) also programe not responding message aswell.ive googled how to fix problem but i cant find any free downloads to fix the problem,can anyone help,cheers folks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 PM

Re: pc problems AGAIN :(

Maybe you have some malware running in the background? I'd run these programs:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

Avira Antivirus Free:

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html

CCleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Those programs should get rid of most little peskies.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Maybe you have some malware running in the background? I'd run these programs:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

Avira Antivirus Free:

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html

CCleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Those programs should get rid of most little peskies.
hey top man waylay,cheers mate.ill let you know how i get on.thanks
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

i already have that cleaner waylay.and you have to buy those other ones you mentioned,but hey thanks bro
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM

Na, you don't have to buy the other ones. They're all free. I use them.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Na, you don't have to buy the other ones. They're all free. I use them.
i downloaded them and after running anti virus its says it can only fix 20 problems,think it found 278.then it was asking for a liecense key.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
i downloaded them and after running anti virus its says it can only fix 20 problems,think it found 278.then it was asking for a liecense key.
Well, Avira free only fixes viruses/worms/trojans, whereas the premium version fixes virus/trojans/worms/spyware/adware/etc...

So really the other problems that it couldn't "fix" were probably spyware. But of course, you can easily solve this by using the Malwarebytes program to get rid of the spyware instead.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Well, Avira free only fixes viruses/worms/trojans, whereas the premium version fixes virus/trojans/worms/spyware/adware/etc...

So really the other problems that it couldn't "fix" were probably spyware. But of course, you can easily solve this by using the Malwarebytes program to get rid of the spyware instead.
ok mate ill check it out ah nearly forgot ive got spybot ive ran that and it has fixed a few problems,pc is running a bit better but im used to it being lightning fast.cheers waylay
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM

Reviews: 2

An absolute must: once your pc runs fine, make a ghost image of your OS, mostly C, drive.

I have all my data on another partition or disk (D: in my case), which contains all my variable data like: email, adresses, browser bookmarks, line6 presets, music and all that stuff that changes almost every day. When I accidentally bump into a virus or other crazy stuff, or I do something completely dumb that messes up my pc, I just put the ghost image back and I'm exactly back to where I was when the ghost was taken in problem-free world, but with my to date data which is on the D: disk. Only thing you maight have to redo is program installations or settings you did after your last ghost-backup. If this gets too long, I just place back a healthy ghost, do all these installs one after another and take an up to date ghost and I'm good to again.

Placing only takes 10-15 min depending on the size of the ghost, but this is far more faster than having to fight against viruses and fixing things. and btw, while the ghost is being put back, you just play on the guitar, relaaaaax
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Reviews: 25

Could be Virus, spyware, defrag....

re-install is your only hope of returning your pc back to its former glory!!!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 PM

look for ad-aware, i believe its free as well as avg which are both cracking programs, if your on a shoe string budget.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

ok lads thanks for the advice.rob
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 01:54 PM

hey man, good luck. personally i wouldn't rely on any "free software" to fix registry or OS errors. they mostly just cause more headaches and pains. the way to fix it is manually and / or with a great antivirus installed. check to see what is running in startup and kill whatever you don't need that's there. go to start / run, type: msconfig

this will bring up a window and click through the tabs. check the box that says hide microsoft services. uncheck whatever you don't need to load under the startup folder. that is one thing. delete your cookies and all temps from IE, defrag, run complete scan for virus' and spyware with a leading virus program. i'm using mcafee. do cntrl alt del to bring up task manager and check to see what processes are running and taking up cpu memory...then stop them / uninstall them. these are just a few ideas.

as someone said, the best way is a reinstall...then image it. keep your data on different hard drives always! then you just have to reinstall C: and programs. data will be kept elsewhere and won't be touched. i usually do this once a year to keep things running great.

good luck
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
hey man, good luck. personally i wouldn't rely on any "free software" to fix registry or OS errors. they mostly just cause more headaches and pains. the way to fix it is manually and / or with a great antivirus installed. check to see what is running in startup and kill whatever you don't need that's there. go to start / run, type: msconfig

this will bring up a window and click through the tabs. check the box that says hide microsoft services. uncheck whatever you don't need to load under the startup folder. that is one thing. delete your cookies and all temps from IE, defrag, run complete scan for virus' and spyware with a leading virus program. i'm using mcafee. do cntrl alt del to bring up task manager and check to see what processes are running and taking up cpu memory...then stop them / uninstall them. these are just a few ideas.

as someone said, the best way is a reinstall...then image it. keep your data on different hard drives always! then you just have to reinstall C: and programs. data will be kept elsewhere and won't be touched. i usually do this once a year to keep things running great.

good luck
thanks mate.my anti virus is called eset smart sercurity think it used to be called nod32,but when i run this its not finding any problems,but ill have a go at what you said,thanks again
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 07:52 PM

Reviews: 2

Allow me to set this straight.

PCs generally run slow because of spyware, adware, malware in general that load up when your computer starts. That is they come in throngs, and stay there. If you had a ton of viruses, most likely you'd have a ton of application crashes, and windows rebooting/being totally unstable/unusable. That, or fragmentation, but there's only so much you can do about that.

Your grail for anti-spyware is, of course, Spybot S&D. Update it, scan it, it should remove a lot of your problems. Don't use ANYTHING else, the other software is just ghastly. Spybot is continually updated, the immunization blocks suspect websites from entering your computer (i.e. in the hosts file), and after you update it, clean it, and immunize it, pretty much nothing should ever enter your computer and slow it down. Not even on the naughty websites. No offense, I meant myself. :P

As far as the antivirus goes, your best bet (and the one I use, after years of trying various cruddy software) is avast! antivirus. It's the best, it has a ton of shields and protections, pretty decent scan speed, and! the best part -- it has both a FREE and a paid version. It's actually so good I bought it (and I am loathe to buy software in general!). Always runs in the background, it DOESN'T gobble up memory like Vista does (I'm running the 64bit Vista, and it likes to chew on 1,5 of my 4 gigs of RAM), and it does what it's required to do.

Don't be so quick to ALWAYS reinstall windows every time a problem pops up. I've lost some things that way. If you use avast & spybot, you shouldn't ever have problems.

There's several ways you could go about fixing your registry, although it's not really a critical step. Have a go at TuneUp Utilities, they have a pretty decent registry cleaner, and I believe you can use it for 30 days fully unlocked. That's a pretty decent deal, it should tide you over. It also has a relatively decent partition defragmenter (which you should run if you're out on an errand or something; takes around 16 hours on a 700gig partition full to the brim, but it works better as a result. Of course, less capacity on a partition, the less it takes).

Also, it's a good idea to run Disk Cleanup (yeah, the thing in windows) as it usually clears up the muck Windows likes to accumulate like the pig it is. (and it's usually a fair deal). Don't bother with the defragmenter in Windows, it's junk.

Way I go about bussiness and cleaning up is going to control panel, uninstalling whatever programs I don't *really* use, or perhaps deleting old ones that the computer still thinks it has, and then clean the registry values with TuneUp Utilities.

Also, you may want to switch to K-Lite codec pack for viewing movies, and whatnot. I've found other codec packs tend to make a mess of the individual codecs, and the computers gets confused. And slow. And annoying.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. This is the kinda stuff I excel at. No offense, guys, I've just spent a fair amount of time breaking my computer, and I'm tired of reinstalling windows. (he said, being ashamed at how all the people talk about guitars and he knows very little)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode