People who you know, arn't always the people you think they are - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

People who you know, arn't always the people you think they are

OK, so something crazy happened today.

About a year ago I had struck up a great friendship with Dan in our corporate office for telephone issues. This guy was awesome, knew everything you ever needed to know about phone issues and was just an all around great guy, He would always get things done, and get them done fast. I talked with him everyday and even on my days off. Now I wasn't the only one in the office, a lot of people, including my former supervisor, and 2 or 3 other supervisors and well as many other phone reps struck up a great relationship with him and he ended up being the guy a lot of us went to for issues. He was well on his way up the ladder. He became such good friends with us, that we were even thinking on taking a trip down there to visit him, and my boss at the time ended up having to go down there anyways and hung out with him for a while. now fast forward a few months, Dan ended up getting sick and missed a lot of work, and ended up getting fired for "absentee issues". I sent a few letters to a few very high ups on what a great person he was etc etc, didn't get very far with that.

Fast forward to now. He was working as a Regional Manager for another company. About a week ago we tried calling him and go answer and haven't heard anything from him since then, now keep in mind this guy would send you txt messages at like 3am, that's how easy to contact him was. we called his office, they rudely said "This is not his number anymore" and hung up, then my former supervisor e-mails me this today:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...7?OpenDocument

That's pretty screwed up, huh? It just shows you that no matter how nice someone is, no matter how much you think you know them, BAM! complete 180.

Perfect quote for this:

Quote:
we're not going to white-collar resort prison. No, no, no. We're going to federal POUND ME IN THE ASS prison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 05:50 AM

Re: People who you know, arn't always the people you think they are

Wow that is messed up! I guess you never really do know someone, except what they are willing to tell you. Just like the people we chat with day to day on here.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Very disturbing.
Who knows what lurks in the minds of mortal men?
(there is only one answer)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:08 AM

the answer is bewbs, right?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 05:36 AM

Hmm, goes to show.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:53 AM

The Shadow?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM

Next thing you'll know is that your wife is in fact, a man!!! :P
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:16 PM

Today, false fronts and manipulative deception is common, people have learned to be good at deceiving others, and playing mind games to get what they want.

Online is absolutely a frenzy for fake fronts and hidious manipulations.

Behind the phone, in person, hard to know anyone much anymore.

I miss the days when making an honest living and hand shakes had meaning to them.

Miss phone booths too!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

The real scary thing is this guy had access to a fortune 500 company customer database for a long time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney James View Post
Today, false fronts and manipulative deception is common, people have learned to be good at deceiving others, and playing mind games to get what they want.

Online is absolutely a frenzy for fake fronts and hidious manipulations.

Behind the phone, in person, hard to know anyone much anymore.

I miss the days when making an honest living and hand shakes had meaning to them.

Miss phone booths too!
I agree completely. Integrity in the human race is slowly eroding away. Unfortunately, we can't allow ourselves to distrust everyone right off the bat. We have to give people the benefit of the doubt that they are, in fact, decent people. If we don't then we all enter this vicious spiral where no one trusts anyone and we're all collectively f$%ked!
Still, you have to keep your guard up, especially on the Internets! If there's one thing I've learned its to never underestimate the capacity for someone to deceive you, real-world or otherwise!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode