Photography lighting set-ups - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Photography lighting set-ups

Hello, y'all!

I know there are a few camera afficionado's on this forum, so I figured this would be the place to ask.
It looks like I'm going to be doing some shoots for an Interior Decorating company. So, strictly interior, furniture, drapery, etc.
As most people, I really prefer natural light as much as possible, but I'm pretty sure I'll be needing something extra.
Any suggestions on a light set-up for a first-timer?
Nothing too pricey, but something that will do the job.

Thanks...

p.s
Something like this maybe?

http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=9870

Last edited by RAI6; 11-03-2007 at 03:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 AM

Re: Photography lighting set-ups

sometimes simplicity can be the key. if you prefer using natural light, it might be an idea to stick with one or two reflectors and maybe a softbox.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I like it simple, and just love the look of natural light.
But I know there are going to be spots where something needs a little extra boost, or the setting is just a little too flat.
Any experience on what's good?
What I posted, would that suffice?

I guess I'll have to squeeze some time in and go to the Pro Shops and check 'em out....
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 05:11 PM

i rely on natural light as well and don't use flash that much unless the look calls for it or i need it. it sounds like you aren't wanting to go the flash route, but more the illuminating the area route. that will work fine as well. i have done lots of shoots for realtors and i just rely on my flash unit that mounts to my camera...use BOUNCE FLASH! i would recommend this. it turns out great, is much less to carry, and you will have a nice piece of gear for other things. what camera and lens are you going to use?
steve
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 05:56 PM

Flash photography is awsome. It's a whole nother level. Lots to learn and if your into it it's a lot of fun. www.strobist.com for some good info about doing it on the cheap.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 06:02 PM

This guy made some interesting devices for lighting.
http://home.comcast.net/~dougsmit/bounceflashtoys.html
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
i rely on natural light as well and don't use flash that much unless the look calls for it or i need it. it sounds like you aren't wanting to go the flash route, but more the illuminating the area route. that will work fine as well. i have done lots of shoots for realtors and i just rely on my flash unit that mounts to my camera...use BOUNCE FLASH! i would recommend this. it turns out great, is much less to carry, and you will have a nice piece of gear for other things. what camera and lens are you going to use?
steve
Yeah, I'm not going for the "obviously flashed" look, but rather just getting the proper/even illumination as needed. I was considering a regular flash unit, but it would have to be a wireless unit, as I want to be able to place it anywhere, and not just bounce.
I have a Nikon D50, with a 18-70 lens.
If the angle is not wide enough, I have a friend with a digital Rebel, with a super wide 10-20...
We'll see how it goes.
Thank you all!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 07:40 PM

Maybe you can look into doing HDR also. Don't go too crazy and maybe just do +&-1 stops. Properly done you should get natural looking results and get more details & even exposure across the frame without help of additional lights.
Not a substitute for a good light/flash setup, but definitely cheaper although takes more post processing.
Some examples here.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 07:40 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

that 18-70 lens really won't work for quality or width. you ideally want a nice wide prime but go with the 10-20 (not at 10) instead.
the problem is you're probably going to want a closed aperture (f/8-ish) to get a large DOF so you'll need good lighting even if you had a fast lens.

that strobe kit is nice for lighting a subject but an entire room is trickier. the 3-light kit can go a long ways toward lighting specific large objects however, including backlighting and fill lighting.

i would probalby rig some incandescent lights using home-depot type work light diffusers (look like large silver bowls with clip) to get the ambient light up, especially if there are white ceilings. Make sure to set the WHITE BALANCE prior to shooting.

bring a tripod. with still objects you can use a longer exposure avoiding blur. shoot in RAW. you can easily experiment and watch the histogram for exposure (not so much the jpg preview) to tweak what you're doing.

bounce flash is a no brainer too especially if the lighting is decent to begin with. in a large room will look natural but watch the coverage... glen
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Well, here's the result....

It turned out OK, but I can see the benefit of having the light set-up.
I'm looking into it for my next assignment.
Thanks for the help, guys!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 PM

cool shot. i like it a lot. what did you use for the shot; camera, lens, lights?
steve
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

I used a Nikon D50 with a 18-70 lens, on the 18 angle.
It was all room light, no flash at all.
If you look to the left you can see a window.
That was the biggest problem.
It was casting this really horrible looking blue cast over everything.
You can still see some of it in the highlights...
I ended up putting some boards over the window, which probably blocked about 75% of the light coming in. Just enough to still show the exterior light...

I had to do a little photoshopping to get it right.
The chandelier was way too bright, and ended up totally blown out.
So I took a 2nd shoot, which was way too dark for the room itself, but captured all the details of the crystals. So, the chandelier is from a different shot.
C'est la vie...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:57 PM

Excellent work! That turned out nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

is there a 5 way lighting switch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode