The Photography Thread - Page 5 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:59 AM

Re: The Photography Thread

I had blood on my chopper once, but, that's another story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
I had blood on my chopper once, but, that's another story
it can be a bit worrying at first m8!! you mean raleigh chopper i take it?
post #63 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:11 AM

Erm, no, not the raleigh
post #64 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
Maybe a higher aperature like f16 would have been better for that photo. That would have given you more depth of field and more of the photo in focus.
Are you converting your photos to sRGB before posting on the web? If not you should try it. Your photos will have stronger color and more "pop" when viewed online if you convert then to sRGB.
So if you wanted sRGB do you need to convert it in PS or can you do it in camera?
post #65 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:29 PM

Rotti, I had seen the option to convert sRGB but never tried, I will give that a shot some time. Thanks everybody for the kind words and ideas.
post #66 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 PM

Wilch, I like that idea you and your friend came up with to challenge each other. I really like the lighting on your photos.
post #67 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:56 PM

Here's that same picture converted to sRGB and a bit of photoshop tweaks:

This is the original (to make it easier to compare):
post #68 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalAe86TypeR View Post
So if you wanted sRGB do you need to convert it in PS or can you do it in camera?
I do it in PS. I think that the "save for web" option defaults at sRGB conversion. Maybe some cameras have that option but I think "adobe RGB" is better for printing and editing. Converting to sRGB just looks better on the web for some reason. As you can see in Distantshore's example the sRGB one has more contrast and more color saturation.
post #69 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 02:12 PM

I'll post a couple to keep things going. These were taken today while snowshoeing with my daughter. Sigma 17-70mm

post #70 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

I like the More Vivid option on my D80, but is there a way i can tweak it a little?
post #71 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Distantshore, I reckon you could make some money off that fan shot of yours if you put it up on redbubble.com (or similar stock photo site).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieboy View Post
i too liked the B/W fan picture from D-shore... Wilch's "coming to get ya in the night" pic is interesting.. your murderer?? could do with some blood on his chopper!! (does that sound rude?) and maybe a white t shirt with tomato sauce splashes on it.. very atmospheric.. great images..
lol! I did think about blood, or even adding it in post. But decided against. Too gorey.

Yeah, I had 3 concepts in mind, and was somewhat forced into using the one in the pic above.

The other two concepts included, guy sneaking outside bedroom window with camera (but it's been raining, so that was out), and large shadow cast on wall of person holding implement of death (gun, knife, crow bar, something) but I decided against that after a few test shots as there wasn't really much in the images if you know what I mean. If I had a location with a more interesting background, then it would've been doable.

Quote:
Can be done in-camera (depending on the camera). Don't you shoot RAW though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
Wilch, I like that idea you and your friend came up with to challenge each other. I really like the lighting on your photos.
Thanks dude. We decided to try and challenge each other. That way we hopefully learn at an exponential rate. There are a few forums that do the monthly assignment, but that's too slow IMO.

Also, because we're also close friends we can give immediate feedback. So it should work out well. Breaking down each others images (the how) will be good too.

The shots I've posted have all used remotely triggered strobes. Up to 3 at any one time.

Very little processing in the images (curves, individual colour saturation). I use to do a lot more processing when I didn't have the strobes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
I do it in PS. I think that the "save for web" option defaults at sRGB conversion. Maybe some cameras have that option but I think "adobe RGB" is better for printing and editing. Converting to sRGB just looks better on the web for some reason. As you can see in Distantshore's example the sRGB one has more contrast and more color saturation.
Depends on where you're printing the image. Alot of stores will require sRGB as they don't have Photoshop, or an Adobe toolset for printing. Which means the images will be printed dull.

Adobe RGB doesn't save any colour profile into the image because it assumes that it will be opened on software that can put this colour profile back in. sRGB is a profile that gets saved to an image - firefox, IE, etc can all read it.

It's best to edit images in the colourspace that you intend it to be viewed on or printed from. Or atleast "edit->convert to profile" (in photoshop) before saving/printing/uploading.

Quote:
I like the More Vivid option on my D80, but is there a way i can tweak it a little?
Always, in post. Have you got Photoshop? Curves adjustment can make things pop.
post #72 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:07 PM

That's really cool Rotti! Do the wild birds in your area always do that? Is there any special challenges in shooting against that bright white snow? (Not that I plan on doing that anytime soon )
post #73 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Distantshore, I reckon you could make some money off that fan shot of yours if you put it up on redbubble.com (or similar stock photo site).
Thanks I never heard of that site before, just shotting to learn right now.
post #74 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
That's really cool Rotti! Do the wild birds in your area always do that? Is there any special challenges in shooting against that bright white snow? (Not that I plan on doing that anytime soon )
Well these birds are in a wildlife reserve so they are used to people feeding them. Not sure what kind of birds they are. Chickadees? As for shooting in snow I find I just have to bump up the exposure a little because the camera wants to tone down all the white.
post #75 of 3488 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:14 PM

this is one I just took. It's not great I was just try to work on lighting. C&C is welcome. I had a lamp to the right side and used an external flash.

Tags
aperture , canon , flash , guitar collection , lens , morbid angel , nikon , parker guitars , paul gilbert , playing guitar , practice amp , solid state amp , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode