I've decided WHAT I NEED to do and what I'm GOING to do in order to make music my CAREER FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!! Yay!!
In chronological order:
1. Record all of the songs I have right now (11 or 12 I think...) with my guitar teacher, Donovan, this winter. He's busy up until then, or else I'd be doing THAT instead of typing on jemsite right now, hahaha!
2. Find two volunteer musicians: one on cello, one on drums, who are willing to work for free and not make a profit off of the CDs. I need all the financial help I can get right now, since I am NOT able to get a job, and there's NO way for me to earn money!!
3. Work with those musicians on what I already have recorded and see if they can add their two cents to my music. I already have a cello part for one song, "I Need You", so the cellist won't be writing their own music. I just need the drummer to improvise for me, and like.. ATTACH himself to my head so he can hear what I have invisioned.. Does that make any sense??
4. Finish recording and make the finishing touches on the actual CD.
5. Spend all my money on getting CDs made, (can't I just BURN them from my computer?!?!), then make labels to put on the CDs (is there a place on the net where I can do this?), then spend MORE money on an album booklet, so that everyone can see the lyrics and sing along! (I want my music to inspire, affect, and touch people, so I think that putting lyrics WITH the CD is a good idea, right?)
6. Sell, sell, sell!!! I'm hoping that jemsite will be a big help with this, so will CDbaby.com, and school!!
7. Go around to local (and maybe even outer-state) radio stations to see if they are interested in my music. I don't know how exactly to approach this, but I'm confident that by then people superior to me in the recording / music industry will be helping me out...
8. From the sales of my CD (I'm hoping it will be successful?) I'll be able to buy a sufficient acoustic-electric guitar, (maybe from someone on jemsite?? haha, I'm going to be sooo poor! hahaha!!), a new amp that I can play live with, and all the equipment that an acoustic artist with a keyboard and a guitar will need to play in places like Borders Book Stores, etc.
9. Go to the local radio stations again, if they liked my music, and PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE!!! I can play live on the stations (I've heard it done before!), I can do whatever I need to do to get the word out!! I can also create a myspace, so that a younger crowd can have access to the music!
Of course, I understand that YES, I'll be turned down several times before I 'make it big'. I just can't picture doing anything else with my life, and it's not just because I'm young. It's because the music is flowing through my blood right now. It's because I feel like music can be and IS going to be my entire life, (except family and friends, and jemsite, duh)... I will make my music my identity!!
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any advice on WHERE to buy guitars/equipment, and HOW to just.. get movin'?
I think my plan is pretty good, but if you see error or a way to improve, help me!!! PLEASE!! haha, I'm such a dork, I know, but I really think that all of this is possible.
Sometimes, dreams CAN become reality, and I think that this is going to be one of those times. As fellow musicians and guitarists, I think you know what I mean when I say the music is flowing like blood through my veins, and I can't just be playing guitar and singing and writing songs and playing piano as a HOBBY. It's just not enough!!!!
This is a HUGE post.
Now.. It's your turn!!