Plasma TV questions - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Plasma TV questions

Here is the deal. I bought myself a 42" plasma tv a couple of days ago. I was actually going out to buy some pants and ended up with this thing.

After reading through the manual I discovered this.
Quote:
WARNING CONCERNING STATIONARY IMAGES ON THE TV SCREEN
A characteristic of Plasma Display Panels is that displaying the same image for a long time can cause a permanent after-image to remain on the screen. This is called phosphor burn in. Normal use of the TV should involve the showing of pictures that contain constantly moving and changing images that fill the screen.
What first came to mind was how this will work with my XBOX. Should I forget the idea to play XBOX with this TV or is it safe?

My other question is that most TV channels has got some sort of logo on the screen somewhere. Could this logo burn in?

Like i said, I was going out to buy some pants so I didn't do any research about the TV before I bought it. I just figured that it was big and I want it!

Oh, it does not say for how long you can display the same image. Right now I'm scared of pressing the pause button when watching a DVD. It has to be a couple of minutes right? At least?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 03:28 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Plasma TV questions

xbox/videogames should not create a problem w/ plasma. the main "burn in" you can face is watching 4x3 sources for hours at a time... over and over. That will create trouble in the unused widescreen area as you'll see a distinct border. this is why most bars/restaurants use a stretch mode to fill the screen for 4x3 tv viewing (ie. non-widescreen stuff).

those network logos are annoying, but most are transparent, hence they shouldn't cause burn-in under normal use. just shut off the plasma every few hours and you should have no worriees... glen
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Re: Plasma TV questions

Thanks for the quick reply glen! Really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode