playing drums is hard - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

playing drums is hard

i have a nice electronic / digital kit in the basement that i bought for when i setup the studio...it's operational...just no walls up. anyway, it isn't played unless a drummer comes over...which is really rare...a shame. i tried playing it while waiting for something to render and man......it's tough. how do you guys do it. i want to learn and may pickup a couple videos. i just need the basics. i wish there was more time in the day.....guitars, cameras, drums, piano....i need more time! especially for drums. i'm just starting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:48 AM

Re: playing drums is hard

for one, i am awful at drums. but I can play a few beats pretty solid. i just learned from various drummers I played with throughout the years. just practice one thing at a time to start. like, just doing 8th notes on the high-hat while hitting a quarter note with the bass drum. then add the snare later. (or just hi-hat and snare and add the bass drum later)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Keep practicing! Drums are very rewarding -especially when you record original music.
I've been hacking on drums for years - here's a little ditty I recorded in my basement a few weeks ago. I'm playing all the instruments.....

http://www.esnips.com/doc/dfc00f76-8...dy-of-the-Lake

~j
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:44 PM

I thought it was tough at first, especially when there are people watching you.

Perhaps try an acoustic kit, they are a little more...forgiving? as far as just messing around goes.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice. an acoustic kit is out of the question since the baby is here and i would rather buy another guitar...hehe. the electronic kit is awesome and will stick with that of course since it's in the basement. i'm going to get a couple dvds from GC or somewhere. not saying i'm going to be a drummer...but i would love to be able to just sit and screw around with it. i think it would be more fun than guitar, at this point in my life. i just don't have the speed in my fingers like i used to and i don't see myself sitting there for hours trying to get it back. i think drums would be more satisfying in certain ways.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

Funny thing is. Drummers hate electronic kits. They insist on playing acoustic kits. But when you are recording, an electronic kit with a quite good drum module is really the way to go. You can spend tons of dough on mics and stands and a mixer and gates and compressors and spend tons of time mic'ing it up and eq'ing. All just to get tone any where near as good as an electronic kit. Roland has already spent that money for you. Once you record into your computer with an acoustic kit, you now have a digital sample of your drum. Which is exactly what the electron kit already has.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributor

I disagree. Most drummers usually don't use electronic drums for recording, but for home stuff they are great- and quiet compared to acoustic drums- but I believe any serious drummer will tell you they prefer real drums over electronic kits any day.

~j
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 AM

Electronic kits have the primary advantage of VOLUME CONTROL! Very handy when playing small clubs or small practice rooms. Everybody doesn't have to turn way up to match the drum volume.

Many drummers think acoustic drums have a more natural "feel", but if you've ever played the Roland V-drums, particularly the V-Pro (http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-20K/index.html), you might change your mind.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

it can go either way, depends on the drummer. i totally understand they would rather record with THEIR kit and on an acoustic kit especially. a lot of drummers don't feel right on an electronic kit...then again some really love it, especially with the tones you can get. when i recorded a cd back in the mid 90's, there was this awesome studio in the chicago burbs and he only had an electronic kit to offer....and he recorded tons of bands. i think if drummers go into it hearing the end result, they will love it. if they are against it, they won't be recording with me unless they track drums somewhere else. i have all the mics and stuff to record live drums and i'm actually quite good at it but with a baby in the house and much more control over an electronic kit, there is no contest. i don't tell people when the electronic kit is used and most can't tell...not even drummers. you also can't beat jamming late at night with a drummer and headphones! awesome. you don't have to worry about compression, etc with drums....i love the electronic kit. for now i use it for my own music and my drummer friends who swing by to record tracks. eventually i will go more full force and open the studio to the public. for now it's just me and whoever wants to lay tracks via word of mouth.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Keep practicing! Drums are very rewarding -especially when you record original music.
I've been hacking on drums for years - here's a little ditty I recorded in my basement a few weeks ago. I'm playing all the instruments.....

http://www.esnips.com/doc/dfc00f76-8...dy-of-the-Lake

~j
jemaholic, sounds great! wish i could play like that. so cool you played everything.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

steve which kit do you have?

i haven't played drums in years and want to get back into it with a vdrums kit for reasons of space/noise limitations. along with making for a great practice kit, these would be great to have setup to jam with my newphews or anyone who plays guitar.

am i correct that anything below the Roland TD-3SW v-drums is probably a bad investment & idea? thanks...glen
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Glen, that is what i thought. after much checking around i wound up with a new yamaha kit. yamaha is great but of course i thought about yamaha vs. roland? i would rather have roland but i did some research and found that many players actually preferred the yamaha, and it does sound great. and it's like $1000 less. no contest. i will get you the model later and maybe some sound files here...i'm not a player but i will get some tones or better yet, post a tune my cousin recorded with me....he was rusty but you will get an idea.

steve
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
site founder 0% owner

lemme know what model Yamaha Steve, and if you can choke the cymbals. The TD3 is around $925 without kick pedal and throne which imho is very good considering it has dual-zone cymbals & snare (allows rim shots, etc.), choke-able cymbals and expansion for 2 more devices (ie. pad & cymbal). I need to play in-store but it seems like a great home practic gig, not sturdy enough to take on the road but very, very good with some expandability.. glen

Roland TD-3SW V-Compact
click here - http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=803&ParentId=60
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
You can spend tons of dough on mics and stands and a mixer and gates and compressors and spend tons of time mic'ing it up and eq'ing. All just to get tone any where near as good as an electronic kit.
Sorry Darin, I have to chime in my disagreement like jemaholic. I work in studios and mic'ing drums is the norm...and a nicely mic'ed kit in a good room is the mutts nuts - it is genuinely one of the things that make me happy in this world . You're right, though...alot of drummers dislike electronic kits and therefore will not record with them. At least not in a commercial studio environment, anyway. Of course, there are exceptions as some synth drum sounds thrown in there can sound pretty damn cool and at band practice they are sooo practical!

Shredmaster, I honestly wish I had an electronic drum kit in the basement Knowing how to play a decent beat on a drum kit is absolutely brilliant...great instrument. Good luck!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:15 PM

As a drummer, I agree acoustic is the way to go.

That said, I've got a Roland V-Stage kit and a Roland V-drums lite kit. Love the Roland products.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode