playing injuries/tendonitis - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
playing injuries/tendonitis

What are some of the best ways to avoid getting tendonitis/carple tunnel? I've been paying close attention to my technique but some of my friends are getting bad cases of tendonitis and it's making me a bit nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:21 PM

Re: playing injuries/tendonitis

Well you know what they say, it makes you go blind if you do it too much.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 120

Just make sure you are playing with your left wrist as open as possible, not bunching it up at all.

Yeah also what ibanez2005 said
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:45 PM

Hahahahaha couldnt resist that one. I used to get terrible pain in mine, thankfully its cleared up now, dunno what caused it or why it stopped, although i did break my left thumb a few years back which may have something to do with it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:08 AM

I have carpal tunnel in both wrists. It sucks. If I play for more than five minutes at a time, my hands will fall asleep. My dad's hands do that too, so I guess it's structural for us. Plus, at my job I'm picking up 50 pound boxes and crates of food for 10 hours at a time, so now they hurt too. I'm having surgery in June to open the tunnels up, so I'll be out of commission for 4 to 6 weeks. God, I hope it's not that long before I can play guitar again!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 01:15 AM

Be sure to post about the experience, and your recovery - I also have CTS in both wrists, and am pondering the surgery...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 01:20 AM

Take more banana
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:12 AM

Good luck with the surgury, the stats aren't in anyones favour usually with this kind of operation so I wish you all the best.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:37 AM

Yeah good luck.

I was just curious, does anyone ever get pain in the back of there left hand? (or right for left-handed players.) I've had a pain come up recently and I'm not sure where it has come from (playing guitar, typing, etc.) Maybe I slept on it? or a combination of everything?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:51 PM

I had really bad pain in the top of my wrist, couldnt stretch my fingers out. Dunno why but it went.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
Take more banana
There is truth to that. Potassium is great for your joints, tendons, etc. I've been playing for 20 years now with no ill effects. Maybe I'm just lucky. I'm sure part of it has to do with your style of playing and the other heredity.

I am not a free floater. I use a base of my 4th and 5th fingers on the pickguard. Also my forearm on the body of the guitar. Maybe that has something to do with it. Dunno
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:58 PM

I've had the pain in the back of the left and right hands from typing and mouse work. Be careful my friend if you have these pains, it's not too pleasant. Take a break, give your self some time to recouperate and reasses how you are doing things when you are using a computer and playing a guitar.

While I can still get aches and pains from computer work I've adjusted my playing a little so it doesn't cause as many problems.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 10:27 PM

Exclamation Re: playing injuries/tendonitis

Hi,

A few tips to avoid damage:

1> Warm up SLOWLY. This can't be repeated often enough, so WARM UP SLOWLY!

2> Play in a technically correct position. (No, hanging your guitar below the waist like Slash is NOT a correct position. It might look cool, but it is very bad for your wrists) The best position is probably the classical position. Lately I been using it again, including the footstep, and I DEFINITELY play more accurate with less strain and am able to access the fretboard better and more comfortably. If you never have tried that position, do so and you will notice how much more "accessible" your guitar will become, fretboard-wise.

3> Tendonitis is caused by systematically overstraining the muscles that control your tendons. It means that the spots where the tendons grap into the muscles get sour. The first symptom of overstraining is when your upper arm remains tense, although your not playing. A pulsating feeling may be perceived. I've had it, but not from playing itself alone, I was using a trainer, a gadget that consists out of an ergonomical grip with a spring-actioned buttons for the 4 "play fingers" that, supposedly, increases control and strenghth. It was due to this gadget in combination with stretching my hand and fingers continuously to be able to play very wide arpeggios that I quit playing for several years. I'm OK now, by the way.

Just my $0.02

Regards,

D.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Be sure to post about the experience, and your recovery - I also have CTS in both wrists, and am pondering the surgery...
Will do. I'm having the endoscopic procedure where they just make a couple of small incisions and go under the skin to release the tendon. The doc says the recovery time is usually about 2 weeks less than the traditional surgery where they slit your wrists

Last edited by Spider-Skot; 05-01-2006 at 02:50 AM.

Tags
playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode