Playstation 3. How does it compare to the XBOX360? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Playstation 3. How does it compare to the XBOX360?

Well, now that it is out, how does it compare to the 360?

They are a couple of titles that are available for both machines and the reviews seem to favour the XBOX360.

How does Resistance: Fall of Man compare to Gears of War? How does it compare to early XBOX360 releases like GRAW of Perfect Dark Zero?

Also, anyone had a try at WII? Is it worth buying as a "party console"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:05 PM

Re: Playstation 3. How does it compare to the XBOX360?

I havent followed the specs for a while but i think the PS3 is more powerful but the 360 has a hell of alot more features.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

it's not out in the USA yet until Nov 17, only japan with 3-4 games (none spectacular as we all should have expected)
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
RCB

oops my mistake. Well, I guess this thread will come back with a vengance the day after tomorrow...
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:19 PM

you may find this usefull http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614783p1.html

for a more in depth read try this http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:24 PM
site founder 0% owner

you probably want to wait a few months until real-people get these (ie. non-biased types) or those e-bay-ing them for xmas.

really, unless you MUST have blu-ray movie playback, there is no reason to buy a PS3 anytime soon. (PS3 is 1/2 the price of any other blu-ray player today). for example, the software library will look pathetic next summer compared to 360 alone. no publisher is going to worry much about making a perfect game for a system in short supply and with only limited hardcore customers (will buy any shovelware at launch)... glen
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Yeah, I read those "specs" comparisons, but now that both machines are out, all that talk is pointless since you have the chance to compare games in both machines.

If you read the XBOX specs vs the PS2 specs, the XBOX is 10 times more powerfull than the PS2, but if you compare GT4 to Forza, they are both great, and I couldnt pick one over the other. Even though XBOX games do look better than PS2 games, its not the difference is not as HUGE as the specs would let you believe.

Thats why Im always skeptical about all that tech talk, and I feel that now we have the chance to really compare both systems.

I already have the XBOX 360 (with every decent game there is.... yeah its insane). I dont plan on getting the PS3 unless they release some pretty amazing software.

I may be getting the WII if playing with the new controler turns out to be fun (Im atracted by WII sport, super monkey ball and those kind of party games)
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:29 PM
site founder 0% owner

well developed 360 & PS3 games will look about the same.

developers will be cross-coding more than ever to recoup high costs. no developer will scratch the surface of the systems power anytime soon - and if they could they'd have marketing deadlines and "next version" compromises to add.

the few exceptions will be exclusive titles and even those will be about the same... halo3 aint' gonna trounce the best 'graphical' PS3 and vice versa... glen
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Yeah, that's also what I m expecting. Cross platform games were also similar in the previous gen, and Im beting it will be even more so this time around. The exclusive titles are probably going to to try to push the boundaries of each console a little more. If I buy the PS3 it ll be for those exclusive titles.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:53 PM

well im an xbox fan, there aren't that many games i like on playstation (grand tourismo, metal gear solid, gta). but id probably get a 360 for halo 3 alone, anyone who has halo 2 will understand.
of course there is the whole blu-ray vs hd-dvd thing all ill say is sony dosent have a good history when it comes to its own formats.
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:54 PM

today is wednesday - i was at Best Buy this monring picking something up and there are guys (and girls) camping out on the sidewalk...some of them in TENTS...since last night...for saturday's PS3 release.

Insane, fanatic or retarded...you pick.

Presumably they're going to buy them for $600 and try to sell them on **** for $3000. Is 4 straight days outside in the rain worth $2400?

~K
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:56 PM

Hi,

I have a PC I use for recording and gaming. It's got a high-end NVidia graphics card and an additional soundcard (non ASIO) just for gaming.

IMHO the high res graphics on a 19" sony TFT (1280x1024 and up) and hifi surround sound delivered by this machine will NEVER be beaten by (analogue) TV-based consoles (400x300 res max).

I have played the Godfather on both X-box and PC, and the PC experience was MUCH MORE gratifying.

That's why I don't use consoles (Have an old PS/2 though, but NEVER use it)

anyway, just IMHO of course.

Regards,

JP
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
today is wednesday - i was at Best Buy this monring picking something up and there are guys (and girls) camping out on the sidewalk...some of them in TENTS...since last night...for saturday's PS3 release.

Insane, fanatic or retarded...you pick.

Presumably they're going to buy them for $600 and try to sell them on **** for $3000. Is 4 straight days outside in the rain worth $2400?

~K
Huh? I thought they'd be only available in Japan. Or is there a batch sold in US too?
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
Hi,

IMHO the high res graphics on a 19" sony TFT (1280x1024 and up) and hifi surround sound delivered by this machine will NEVER be beaten by (analogue) TV-based consoles (400x300 res max).

JP
wait till you see a high def tv
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
Hi,

I have a PC I use for recording and gaming. It's got a high-end NVidia graphics card and an additional soundcard (non ASIO) just for gaming.

I have played the Godfather on both X-box and PC, and the PC experience was MUCH MORE gratifying.

That's why I don't use consoles (Have an old PS/2 though, but NEVER use it)

anyway, just IMHO of course.

Regards,

JP
Dude, lets not turn this into a PC vs console debate, because its not the point and it has been debated to death.

Tags
playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode