Poison Ivy - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Poison Ivy

Picked up an unpleasantly servere case of it. I've got some benadryl and some prescription cream but it still itches like hell anyone know any good home remedies to relieve the itching so I can let the medicine do it's thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:20 AM

Re: Poison Ivy

Apply Oatmeal to the affected area

as crazy as it sounds

Also, baking soda helps relieve skin irritations. Mix some in a little cup of water and dab on.

It helps to apply a little ~mind over matter~ as well. Don't think about it.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:17 AM

I take it you are referring to the plant, as opposed to the rather fetching guitarist from The Cramps here .........

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:48 AM

I wonder if meat tenderizer would work?? We use that for jelly fish stings and burns from fire coral and it works great. Just thinking outloud? Taking a bath with baking soda in the water might help as well.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 AM

Reviews: 16

Here's what you do. Fill your bathtub up with water. Then pour in beach, like Clorox. Pour a good amount of it in there. Enough to where it smells like a strong pool. Then get in for about 15min. Keep those portions of your body that have poison ivy under the water. 12 to 24 hours later those areas will be drying up. No more itching and no more poison ivy.

I'm very allergic to those types of plants - ivy, oak, etc. I would have to get a shot to dry it up or I'd get covered with it. I learned accidentally that this works. Although it's debatable whether or not it's "good" for you. I could care less about that and more about the poison oak itching me to death and spreading.

If you have a pool use that instead as it's easier. If you're near the ocean, saltwater will do it too.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

Here's what you do. Fill your bathtub up with water. Then pour in beach, like Clorox.
sitting in a tub of bleach??? Dayum that's brutal! But yeah, I suppose there won't be any more itch if you've got no skin left

So you in essence replace one skin irritation with another?? Talk about fighting fire with fire!!

Please no offense, court, but there has got to be a better (healthier) way to go about it. (especially if you already have sensistive skin) not to mention the long term effect on your skin if you do it often. If you suffer from a lot of allergies, there are herbs you can ingest that are proven to keep them in check.

Again, no offense I come from a family of holistic health freaks and bleach is on the BAD list

Something tells be I'd best shaddup now
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:32 AM

Not to mention the carpet won't match the curtains anymore
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 AM

I get it bad too. I go right to the Doc and get a shot. It heals it up pretty quickly. Salt water helps alot too.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
sitting in a tub of bleach??? Dayum that's brutal! But yeah, I suppose there won't be any more itch if you've got no skin left

So you in essence replace one skin irritation with another?? Talk about fighting fire with fire!!

Please no offense, court, but there has got to be a better (healthier) way to go about it. (especially if you already have sensistive skin) not to mention the long term effect on your skin if you do it often. If you suffer from a lot of allergies, there are herbs you can ingest that are proven to keep them in check.

Again, no offense I come from a family of holistic health freaks and bleach is on the BAD list

Something tells be I'd best shaddup now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post

LOL....well, it does work. Besides, that's what pools have - chlorine. If you pour enough bleach in your bathtub to resemble a pool, then there's really no difference. However, for a quick fix on a small spot I'll just get a cotton ball with bleach on it and dab it on the poison ivy spot, wait a few minutes, and I'm done. But then again, I can't remember the last time I had poison ivy/oak on me, so it's not often I'd do something like this.

When it comes to poison ivy/oak I don't mess around. Benadryl and others like it are crap....a waste of money.

Oh, and if you think pouring bleach in your tub and jumping in is bad for you, if you drink water at home then watch out. It's been cleaned somehow and they don't use a priest to clean it. They use chlorine.

As for the carpet....you have to replace it eventually because of traffic and just normal wear and tear. New carpet can be a good thing.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
As for the carpet....you have to replace it eventually because of traffic and just normal wear and tear. New carpet can be a good thing.
OK, either you didn't get my joke at all, or that was the best comeback EVER
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:

, if you drink water at home then watch out.
That's another one on the "bad" list
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:10 AM

I have a very bad poison Ivy allergy, and the only thing that really works is the steroids from the doctor. You need a prescription. I've done the bleach and oatmeal stuff, and the steroids are the only thing that actually make it go away. You could still have it for months with bleach.
When you get the pills, make sure your doctor prescribes them in such a way that the dosage drops, or else it will come right back. For example, if you get 10 pills, don't do two a day for 5 days. Take three on day one, two on days two and three, then one a day for three days. Get to a doctor and get the steroid pills ASAP if it is still spreading after a few days.

jim
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:20 AM

I'm just wondering how yous all seem to come in contact so frequenlty with poison ivy?? Yard work?? Camping trip maybe? A not so innocent roll in the hay??
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
(i got the joke Kev )

Seriously people.....the only solution is amputation!!!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
OK, either you didn't get my joke at all, or that was the best comeback EVER

I did get your joke, which is why I said what I said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode