Posture when playing sitting down - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Posture when playing sitting down

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering about something while sitting down today to play. We all know that sitting down to play is easier than standing for a number of reasons, but when practicing the main reason I would think is so that you don't get tired as quick (from standing).

A habit I have been in for as long as I have played is to sit in a chair that's low to the ground, with no arms of course, and have one foot propped up on another surface (like the leg of the chair). I tend to hunch over the guitar, with my head down, leaning forward as it is the most comfortable position.

BUT

Has anyone here done any research, or have any articles of any sort, that may show the effects of this slouching on say the spine? I can't imagine sitting for a few hours a day, every week, for years is good? As I am young now I don't know how what I do now might effect my health in a bad way when I'm older.

Anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 12:46 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Posture when playing sitting down

I'm a trained classical guitarist, and we study a lot of posture issues. The main rule is, whathever your position is, you must feel comfortable, and you must take a break periodically, and stretch all your body muscles. Let's say, 5-10 minutes each hour. With this discipline you can go for hours.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 PM

Reviews: 1

What Rach said ^^
I sit at a desk at work all day and believe me on busy days when I lose track of time and don't get up much..... I FEEL it
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 12:39 PM

I think traditional "classical" posture (if you're a rightie - sitting, fairly upright, left leg on something, guitar sitting on your left thigh, fairly steep guitar angle) is considered the best practice. That said,

1) I tend to rest the guitar on my right leg, both feet flat on the floor - it's just more comfortable for me, though it's probably more of a casual, "rock" playing position, and
2) since almost all of my practice is standing up, that's actually the position that feels the most natural for me - sitting down doesn't feel as natural.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post
A habit I have been in for as long as I have played is to sit in a chair that's low to the ground, with no arms of course, and have one foot propped up on another surface (like the leg of the chair). I tend to hunch over the guitar, with my head down, leaning forward as it is the most comfortable position.
I would advise you to break the "hunching over the guitar" habit, if possible. I do the same thing as you, except I rest the guitar on my right leg like Drew and usually prop my right foot up on a low desk shelf in from of me. After a few months I started having lower back pain and finally figured out it was due to the slouching and hunching over while playing. I find that if I don't prop my foot up on something it makes me sit up straighter... but I still find myself hunching over out of habit. Makes it easier to see the fretboard while practicing scales and such.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM

If you plan to stand on a stage and play, practice standing up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
If you plan to stand on a stage and play, practice standing up.
this^^^^
whenever I think I really know a song or passage that I learned sitting in a chair, I try to play it standing to see if I really can play it. If I can't, I play it standing up until I get it
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:32 PM

Reviews: 13

I second this ^^^^

For most people, playing sitting and standing modifies the way the hands reach the instrument (mainly the right hand). So it's important to practice standing up as well, if the stage is your goal.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Well I play standing up all the time, just more than an hour I have to sit.

Tags
back , posture , spine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode