Protect my gear in College - Page 2 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Re: Protect my gear in College

When I was in college, I came back to my dorm room one time, and I found some guy sitting at my desk, playing my guitar. He was a friend of my roomate, and my roomate let him in. He wasn't there to steal anything, but I found it annoying nonetheless.

Buy some off-brand Fender copy and maybe a small Peavey copy amplifier, is my opinion. Keep the good stuff at home.

ANOTHER option, since you've mentioned wanting to make a guitar of your own, is to make your own Strat or Tele copy from a Saga guitar kit. Might be fun to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_r152 View Post
When I was in college, I came back to my dorm room one time, and I found some guy sitting at my desk, playing my guitar. He was a friend of my roomate, and my roomate let him in. He wasn't there to steal anything, but I found it annoying nonetheless.

Buy some off-brand Fender copy and maybe a small Peavey copy amplifier, is my opinion. Keep the good stuff at home.

ANOTHER option, since you've mentioned wanting to make a guitar of your own, is to make your own Strat or Tele copy from a Saga guitar kit. Might be fun to do.
I'll probably try and find a used Tech21 Trademark60 because I rather not spend 500 on a new amp or a Trademark 30, but I haven't tested those. this is a pretty good sound though for a small amp
http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/tm30...ademark_30.mp3

and for guitar I will probably buy a body off the bay, paint and dings is no matter and get a neck like this bay item 230228503917 and paint the body EVH style since I like the paintjob (EVH not as much ) and put a humbucker in it and mess with the guitar to maybe relic it lol, I know some guy around my area did a frankenstrat so maybe I can see how he'd paint it and relic it or I could screw around with other paint jobs
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 05:57 PM

or just get a squier strat and a crate combo. you'll be less likely to have it ripped off, and you could store both under the bed hidden out of the way.

rich
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
or just get a squier strat and a crate combo. you'll be less likely to have it ripped off, and you could store both under the bed hidden out of the way.

rich
I use to like the Crate combos and lately I haven't been too impressed, but I will probably keep it around the same price with that 30 watt Tech 21, unless you have a Crate that you like and I haven't played

If I got a squier it would be like bay item 360030539378
just few squier's ive played I would consider buying, some I'd ask people to steal from me but there are good ones, its just finding the right one with em

actually If I could find one, I actually liked the Sam Ash Floyd Rose guitars, because they had OFR's not speedloaders, just they aren't produced anymore I think so it might be hard to find one, but they were only like 300 or 400 bucks when I was in the Sam Ash in NYC
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Perhaps keeping a beater in semi-plain sight, hooked up to a beater practice amp in semi-plain sight, and keep your guitfiddle of choice up and under your bed (not sure on the beds in dorms nowadays). But elevated under the bed would be win. Perhaps a stash of clothes and **** under there so it looks like theirs nothing there, even if they did rip things away.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
I use to like the Crate combos and lately I haven't been too impressed, but I will probably keep it around the same price with that 30 watt Tech 21, unless you have a Crate that you like and I haven't played

If I got a squier it would be like bay item 360030539378
just few squier's ive played I would consider buying, some I'd ask people to steal from me but there are good ones, its just finding the right one with em

actually If I could find one, I actually liked the Sam Ash Floyd Rose guitars, because they had OFR's not speedloaders, just they aren't produced anymore I think so it might be hard to find one, but they were only like 300 or 400 bucks when I was in the Sam Ash in NYC
nope, just recommended the crate,because...well, who would steal a crate amp?

rich
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 PM

Great thread bro. I'm planning to attend VCU in Richmond and was wondering about this exact issue today.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.P.R.O. View Post
Perhaps keeping a beater in semi-plain sight, hooked up to a beater practice amp in semi-plain sight, and keep your guitfiddle of choice up and under your bed (not sure on the beds in dorms nowadays). But elevated under the bed would be win. Perhaps a stash of clothes and **** under there so it looks like theirs nothing there, even if they did rip things away.
yeah, and I emailed floyd rose and they still make their cheap redmond guitars with ofr's so I might get one of those and just hide it like you said. Trust me I am good at hiding things, I once hid my moms car

Tags
amp head , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose guitar , jackson dinky , monkey grip , practice amp , sam ash , squier strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode