Protect my gear in College - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Protect my gear in College

Hey guys, since I am a junior in HighSchool the big topic is college and I have been wondering, how do I keep my stuff safe in college? If I am to keep my guitar and amp and pc in a dorm how will I know it will be safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 PM

Re: Protect my gear in College

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
Hey guys, since I am a junior in HighSchool the big topic is college and I have been wondering, how do I keep my stuff safe in college? If I am to keep my guitar and amp and pc in a dorm how will I know it will be safe?
You won't know it will be safe.

The best thing to do is keep your good stuff at home, and get a beater and a POS amp, and take that to your dorm.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 PM

What do you do if you're in a band at college?

I will soon be in the same boat.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking along the lines of some rusty mechanical contraption like from saw, and like when you try and lift up my amp head or something it pulls a pin out that is attached to a wire and it closes the door, idk.... its a work in progress... lol
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:20 PM

Well, do you have to live in a dorm?

If you can get an apartment then I would do that. Also having some time of locking closet like people have for guns is a good idea. But, like others have said you probably won't be able to keep it as safe as you want to.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Well, do you have to live in a dorm?

If you can get an apartment then I would do that. Also having some time of locking closet like people have for guns is a good idea. But, like others have said you probably won't be able to keep it as safe as you want to.
there are some nice apartments but I have to see if I can afford them, this scholarship will be paying for full tuition for me and I should have other scholarships, so maybe I'll be able to afford it, then I'd probably get some type of security device for them, and maybe like make a motion sensor cam that takes a pic or vid when it senses something so I can catch the bastard. I've made one of those cams for a friend before and they work well if you hide em good
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM

That's the best way to go. I had a friend who was in the same position when he left for college. He had to get an apartment too. He had a bunch of really nice gear and couldn't trust fellow dorm dwellers.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 PM

dude

your dammed if u do and ur dammed if u dont

u never know who sees what at ur place, and who says what to others and who they say what to

sounds confusing...let me tell u, i was popular, i partied, and i had great reoommates, not even in the dorms, and my **** still got jacked, and as well known as i was, i never heard a rat fart about my stuff

so really man if u have something u really value, dont bring it, get a el-cheapo at ur local used or consignment shop and sleep better at night
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
dude

your dammed if u do and ur dammed if u dont

u never know who sees what at ur place, and who says what to others and who they say what to

sounds confusing...let me tell u, i was popular, i partied, and i had great reoommates, not even in the dorms, and my **** still got jacked, and as well known as i was, i never heard a rat fart about my stuff

so really man if u have something u really value, dont bring it, get a el-cheapo at ur local used or consignment shop and sleep better at night
alright, I like the Tech 21 combo's pretty well and I could deal with a cheapo used like fender strat with a floyd or something, just something that is beat down to crap so no1 thinks they would want it lol, 24 frets and floyd just is were it is at even if I am going cheap lol

edit: or how bout a jackson dinky? even though i would like an ofr on it which would bring up the price >_> , tell me what beater you guys would get, it doesnt have to have 24 frets but a recessed floyd would be best, if not recessed i can make it recessed lol

another edit! (srry) I just had an idea, since I have wanted to learn how to relic a guitar and get better at painting, I could get some fender body and a fender floyd neck, and make a EVH relic for fun and I wouldn't have to worry bout price much since technically if I can beat up a guitar I can have it stolen

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 03-05-2008 at 09:50 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:23 AM

Another use for a monkey grip.... sink an eyebolt into the floor, run a chain through grip and bolt, lock with large padlock.

Steve would be so proud!

The simple answer is 'nothing whatsoever'. Stuff gets pinched everywhere, but put a dorm situation in the mix and the incidence goes up. Take cheap gear only.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 03:30 AM

Why not just get insurance on whatever you take...?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 03:38 AM

Good thread. Same problem here. I took my DY Jem and a Marshall combo got locked out and my neighbor had me in my room in 2 minutes with a butter knife. Scared the hell out of me.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 AM

Just lock your doors and make it difficult for people to to take your ****. I remember having to wedge my guitar case against my dorm bed and my desk to keep the loft from falling apart since it was a piece of crap. Never had problems. Being a popular guy, people knew what not to do and that was ****ing with my stuff.
Definitely get insurance though. If you find more musicians (that you trust), try to rent a studio for all your gear.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
Why not just get insurance on whatever you take...?
I will but I'd still hate to have it stolen, I mean you can rebuy the same model but you can't rebuy the same feel on the same model, you know?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:39 PM

I would get a Hohner Steinberger copy, swap out the pickups, and then just keep it hidden. Easy to play, decent sounding, and it will fit damned near anywhere. Just move it around a bit; don't keep it in the same place too often

Tags
amp head , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose guitar , jackson dinky , monkey grip , practice amp , sam ash , squier strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode