PS2 Help? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
PS2 Help?

Hello,
I've had my PS-2 for years and it seems to be heading toward dead on me.

It's the SCPH-30001 model (the fat console). Browser and CD player are both V1.20. PS Driver is V1.10. DVD player is V1.30U.

I'm getting disc read errors on all DVD games. My main concern is with the silver DVDs (that's what Madden is, the only game I really play). I have not tested CDs, but if for some reason it helps the troubleshooting process, I can.

I've disassembled the unit, cleaned everything. I've (carefully) cleaned the laser in the past and recently. Previously, cleaning the laser and adjusting the height gave me a working PS2 for a few months. I tried repeating the process after games started lagging, freezing and failing to load. Before the most recent adjustment, I could not get games to load at all.

After cleaning/adjusting, I can *sometimes* get Madden '07 to load to the initial "loading" screen (with Alexander holding the ball against the white-ish background, before the game scans the memory card). I never get past that stage and you can hear the drive continue to cycle to no end.

I'm not sure what else I can try. I've done some searching, but haven't found too many reliable websites that can offer more help than cleaning/adjusting the laser and removing dust.

-Any suggestions to repair my current unit?
-If I'm forced to buy a new one, which version/model is the most reliable way to go?
-Is it even worth the risk of buying used in the interest of paying near half price (even if it's from a retailer that offers exchange on defective items)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 05:40 AM

Re: PS2 Help?

My son's did the same thing right before I decided to spend the $140 and buy the slim PS2. I think any that are still for sale on the shelf are the most recently updated, so you should be ok.

I also bought him a "game glass" screen that fits right onto the unit. Now he can play the PS2 on the road, it's actually pretty cool.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

quick google should yield results the unit is failing and you need a new one.

grab a 360 instead so we can do an online madden league ... glen
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 02:51 PM

I'm on my third PS2. My first two were the old models. The first one had a broken tray. The second one eventually was unable to play games with the blue/purple backing on them.

My current one is the black slim version. No problem with this one, um...yet!

The 360 gets the most attention these days, but I am fearing the red circle of doom that a lot of owners seem to be getting :-/
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I had an XBox for a few years. Never got used to that stupid controller. Even the "mini" version was too bulky. The 360 controller looks like it stayed the same. Oh well.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 05:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

you had an cassette player once too right?

360 controller is probalby the best one made for a console. LOL... glen
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 06:33 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: PS2 Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
quick google should yield results the unit is failing and you need a new one.

grab a 360 instead so we can do an online madden league ... glen
XBox 360? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Glen.

Jimmy
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Unhappy Re: PS2 Help?

my ps2 did the excact same thing,
my brother in giant act of rage decided to drop the thing onto the window sell
so that made him made him even more crazy so he opened the window and threw it flying to the ground(from the top floor)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

I threw the thing out. On the bright side, I now know how to completely disassemble the laser and essentially every possible moving part of the PS2 (and properly reassemble).

I think I'm just going to save my pennies for a PS3. :-/
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 02:58 AM

Bide your time. If you're desperate for a PS2 you can guarantee there'll be some great offers coming in the next few months as they try to get rid in favour of the PS3.

Over here (and this is cheap for us, I don't know about the US) at the moment from Argos (they're a big chain like Walmart, but everything is in a catalogue) you can get an Xbox with a butt-load of accessories and 4 games (Halo 2, PGR 2... can't remember the other ) all for £49.99! unbelieveable bargain

If I were you though, I'd get a 360 and then buy one of these http://www.google.co.uk/base/a/13439...13925099612279 then you can use your PS2 pad on your 360
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 06:03 AM

Go pawn shopping and pick up a cheap one to get you by until you have enough for the PS3.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 06:27 AM

The problem with buying used is you don't know how burnt out the laser is.

What I've done is bought a new slimline and had the laser modded so it won't burn out easily. If you google 'ps2 laser mods' or something like that it should come up.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 06:37 AM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
360 controller is probalby the best one made for a console. LOL... glen
I'd have to say playstation nailed it with the first dual shock controllers that came out on the original playstation, shapewise I don't think you can get much better, which is probably why they went with an almost identical design for the ps2 and ps3 controllers. Although I think the Xbox 360 controller is much better than the first Xbox controller...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:06 AM
site founder 0% owner

no proper triggers kills the DS for many of us. yuk.

but i can see how younger games weaned on playstation are just used to it out of familiarity... glen
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:37 AM

the PS2 controller still feels awkward to me when playing shooters with the way the sticks are placed. The 360 is perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode