To ps3 or not to ps3... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

To ps3 or not to ps3...

Hey people of hematite, I was wondering what your opinions were on the PS3. I've never owned a current game console and have never really wanted to own one. I saw one at the local pawn shop for $110 with a game and controller. Should I buy it? Reasons why/why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: To ps3 or not to ps3...

where it says hematite, it was supposed to say JEMSITE. I love auto correct. Dearly.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 PM

I have a newer xbox 360(the slim one with kinnect) that has been in the shop two times already, and I have to pay to play online, call of duty and ect. So get the ps3 its free to play online and has a better track record of not breaking down. Thats what I would have got two years ago if I would have known better.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Reviews: 18

I'll second getting the PS3. It's a great console and it's an excellent Blu-Ray player. It supports more codecs than the Xbox and it's a far more flexible device when you try to upgrade it (you don't need to buy xbox branded peripherals, just go to a computer store, buy a larger hard drive, put it in and it'll format itself).

$110 is a great deal for it. Just make sure you test it and ask them if they offer a warranty of any type (i,e. 30-day warranty in case it dies, etc.)

Jimmy
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 PM

PS3.......just a great device with the best blu ray player for the money....do it.

But yeah like said above, test it and get a warranty as you dont know how much mileage it has.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 PM

Reviews: 11

Do it for the bluray player. Don't play games, games are for nerds. Play guitar instead.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 AM

I've never bought any game that isn't Guitar Hero, but I like my PS3, not only because it's also a Blu-Ray player (mentioned above) but also because it does streaming Netflix, which is really nice.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM

I love my PS3. For games, movies and Internet. It's a pretty enjoyable system.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I've never bought any game that isn't Guitar Hero, but I like my PS3, not only because it's also a Blu-Ray player (mentioned above) but also because it does streaming Netflix, which is really nice.
Netflix. I haven't been on a date recently that didn't end with Netflix. It's a magical piece of technology
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancap77 View Post
Netflix. I haven't been on a date recently that didn't end with Netflix. It's a magical piece of technology
LOL true! We got rid of our cable, which was like 60 bucks a month, and intead got Netlix, Hulu, Epix, Crackle, and Vudu through the Xbox.. don't know if all those are on PS3 also?? but Netflix and Hulu are 7.99 a month, Epix and Crackle are free, and Vudu is for renting or buying movies and tv shows. We like it alot and now we don't channel surf all night like we used to, plus we don't always have the TV on like we used to either which is nice. More time for actually going outside and living life. And by that I mean out in my garage building guitars
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Reviews: 21

I got one of the earlier non-slim PS3's for like 4 years or so now and it's worked like a champ. It's also the Blu Ray player of our home. Excellent quality. Netflix is great too. (Also, well played Bryancap77! <golf clap>)
The only thing that sucks is a majority of my real-world friends are on XBox.
Not paying to play online is also a big plus. Maybe I'm not up on Xbox networking but why should you pay $60 a year for a service which only directs players to an end-user's machine to be host? Does Xbox run dedicated servers? No! Why pay?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I got one of the earlier non-slim PS3's for like 4 years or so now and it's worked like a champ. It's also the Blu Ray player of our home. Excellent quality. Netflix is great too. (Also, well played Bryancap77! <golf clap>)
The only thing that sucks is a majority of my real-world friends are on XBox.
Not paying to play online is also a big plus. Maybe I'm not up on Xbox networking but why should you pay $60 a year for a service which only directs players to an end-user's machine to be host? Does Xbox run dedicated servers? No! Why pay?
yup, this is the xbox user's main gripe ( I being one)! It will be interesting to see what happens when the new 720 comes out, or whatever they end up calling it... supposedly you can't use the console unless you are online, even if you just want to play a single player game!!, and the discs will be coded so they are only good to play on your console.. no more trading with friends,, no more buying used games.. if this is where Microsoft is heading, I'm going to Sony. Only thing I don't like about Sony is that they are more prone to glitches and hacking ( from what I've heard) and remember a few years back when the system was down for over a month and peoples info was in danger?? I've never had any trouble with that on xbox in the 6 yrs I've had one.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 08:04 AM

ps3 ftw!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 PM

I will be reserving a PS4.. going back to Sony
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Banned

Still have my first gen PS3--abd awaiting the PS4.

Too many great features other consoles don't include.

Tags
play , play station , ps3 , station

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode