PS3 vs. Xbox 360? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PS3 vs. Xbox 360?

I'm looking into getting one for my new apartment. I like EA sports games and figure a good gaming system would be cool to have in the house when entertaining guests, but I don't know what to buy. I've never actually played PS3 but have played sports games and guitar hero for xbox 360 and think the graphics are out of control!

Is PS3 comporable? Also, I know PS3 has a blue ray player. Would I be able to play dvd's from my current collection on it? I'm assuming it wouldn't also upconvert standard non HD or Blue Ray dvds.

I only play sports games really. I don't have the time to invest into a major RPG or action adventure game any more, so that might be a factor as well.

I know Xbox live is cool, as I've played madden a few times at friends' houses and stuff and its always a blast. How's PS3's version?

Any opinions? I'm not much of a gamer any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: PS3 vs. Xbox 360?

A good friend of mine recently bought a PS3, so I've gotten some time in on that machine . It's a great performer, but with the fatal flaw of very few titles out for it, especially in comparison to what the 360 offers; mix that with the fact that the PS3 is much more expensive and I think you can see a clear winner. From what I know the PS3 is a superior gaming console, but there just isn't that much of a market for dropping $700+ on system, game(s), controller(s), etc. The best console doesn't always win.
Besides save you money and buy games for your PC,
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Jairic speaks the truth - the XBox is the way to go for games, it just has way more titles. PS3 is superior from a technical standpoint, with the added advantage of being able to play Blu-Ray movies out of the box (that is the only reason I have one), while XBox needs a $150-200 addon. Outside of the fact you can get a keyboard and mouse for the PS3 (really nice for COD4 apparently), you have far more games to choose from on XBox. More people seem to own them, too, which is nice for borrowing and trading.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 PM

Gaming wise PS3 is not very impressive. One year headstart gave Xbox an advantage here. Although if shooters are your thing, this has been covered pretty well already. The game availability situation may change by the end of this year.

It will play Blu Ray, DivX, h264, MP3 and WMA and upconvert DVDs. Just make sure your TV has HDMI input.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I just bought a Samsung LNT4665F, so the HDMI's are not a problem. I'm just not sure what to get. I'm big on EA sports games like the NHL series and the Madden series, but I could also see myself buying a guitar hero or title of that sort.

Again, I'm not huge into the Halo type games and such, but I'm sure I'll end up with one or so, if that makes a difference.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 PM

Shooters play alright with the XBox controller - COD4 is still fun using both thumb anolog sticks. Of course, mouse and keyboard for a shooter is the holy grail by comparison. There are very few titles the PS3 has that aren't available on Xbox (though Gran Turismo 5 is coming soon, which will be PS3 exclusive).
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM

I'll be honest with you I bought my PS3 for one major reason and it's gonna be with me on Friday. I ordered Gran Turismo 5 Prologue from Hong Kong last week. The menu's are in Japanese but there's a good translation over at gtplanet.
I've never owned a 360 and only had my PS3 since christmas. So far I've played COD4 right through, the first couple of levels on Uncharted (but decided it wasn't my cuppa tea). I realy love Skate and I'm just getting in to Rainbow 6 Vegas.
I'm not realy sure which is better to be honest. The 360 is great and there are loads of games for it but I had to go the PS3 route because I'm only realy interested in GT5, oh and PES but that's multi format.

They're both great! Far better than my old Master System
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 PM

The PS3 is more than just a game console. Its a competent home theatre component. Its not just a blu-ray player, its a GREAT blu-ray player (at least according to some of the reviewers like Sound & Vision magazine), beating out more expensive dedicated players.

Add to that the fact that HD-DVD might soon be a dead format.

Yes the game titles still pale compared to the Xbox but a year head start can do that. Don't fret, if Sony's history of the PSOne & PS2 tells you anything, there is hope.

My vote is for the PS3.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:39 PM

The performance difference is negligable because they are both in the same generation of technology, it isn't like PS2 vs Xbox where the xbox was a whole generation ahead of the PS2, the 360 can do anything (tangiblle) the PS3 can. So I would say look at the games that are out for each and which controller you like the best. I really like the way the 360 can interact with your PC but theres some awesome games that are still sony exclusive.

Or if you're a graphics fanboy ATI designed the xbox and nvidia designed the PS3. I'm a shameless Nvidia fanboy but I probably wouldn't buy a PS3 just because of that.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Read in the newspaper about a few months ago, Microsoft XBox 360 have a technical issue of overheating. Even after undergone some repair work, the problem still persists...
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 PM

Reviews: 6

I'd go with a 360, I've been thinking about picking one up to compensate for the fact that I can't run a lot of games that I want to play on mac or Wii. My system of choice is wii, but there's several games that won't be coming out for it (quake 4 comes to mind.)
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueShredder View Post
Read in the newspaper about a few months ago, Microsoft XBox 360 have a technical issue of overheating. Even after undergone some repair work, the problem still persists...
That's no reason not to buy it, if you know about the problem then it's pretty simple to stop it hapenning.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 AM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: PS3 vs. Xbox 360?

PS3 is the way to go!!! Games will come in due time, I'm not worried about it! I'm enjoying the ones I have for now, lots of really good titles coming up soon!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 04:01 AM

Reviews: 10

never had a 360 over heating problem, though i am on my 2nd, 360's are notorious for dieing and most people i know whose had one are on their 2nd (some more). They are great, just their downside is reliability.

I wouldnt be too concerned with more titles for 360, as now most are old you wouldnt go back to them and just look forward to new releases.

Blu Ray wise on PS3 as PS3 is connected to net theres no problems with firmware upgrades, i was reading a news srticle yesterday, people who paid £1000 for the first models some of these cant be updated so therefore wont play all content for 1.1 releases of blu ray.

Live is great though on 360, tough call, i'd go with 360 the controllers are very comfy, playstation havent updated their pads since PS1 really and find them uncomfy. 360 is smaller and more compact too, and of course cheaper. The live is great and established on 360, i've no idea what PS3's is like though. 360 has the HD add on if you want it for movies, i dont think HD DVD is in too much threat just yet, especially after blu rays announcement of the 1.1 thats not going to work on some of the older machines.

I didnt know PS3 plays divx and xvid though? thats a very good feature

Both machines have good and bad points, cant go wrong either way really.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 04:19 AM

I know this sounds like a lame answer, but.. both!

Seriously, they both have their pros and cons, but if you get the pair then you get the best of both worlds. If that isn't an option then go for the 360, play the hell out of all the games that interest you and then sell it and do the same with the PS3. By that time, the PS3's game catalogue should be much larger and everbody wins. Whoooo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to fix an xbox 360 three red bars free

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode