Pursuing my dreams, help from my jemsite family - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Pursuing my dreams, help from my jemsite family

Short back story - I've been going to school for firefighting/paramedic for years. I'm close to finishing school, about a year off, and am realizing my passion is gone. I'm an extremely passionate person, to the point that if I have passion for something I know in my heart I can make it happen.

I've been playing guitar since I was 7, and teaching at a music store since 15. I gave up the dream of being someone when I was in high school, resigning myself to joining the work force etc, and having guitar as a side job.

However, recently my passion has been stirred to the point that I am exploding with drive and confidence that I can become someone in the music industry. I've put in the work, I have the talent, and the knowledge. As well as a strong business sense, social skills, and a firm understanding of what I want.

I have joined a band called Perspectives that has enormous potential, and I want to do every little thing I can to make my dream come true.

My main problem is I lack details. I'm not sure exactly what to do, etc. I've done boat loads of research, and it all seems relatively biased depending who's writing the article.

If any of you can contribute in any way at all, with any knowledge at all, it would be graciously welcomed. I've thrown myself into this whole heartedly, and know the risks. I know that this can happen, I just need more direction as to which actions I should take etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 03:08 AM

Re: Pursuing my dreams, help from my jemsite family

You could do worse than start here;

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/job...struments.aspx

Otherwise start moving towards working in any way in the entertainment industry. You might find that you dig some form of sound engineering or lighting or any other form of helping out 'backstage'. This is a very helpful way of getting in the door. The plus side is that even if you don't end up being a world famous guitar player for an incredibly popular band you'll at least be in the arena and even more likely to be able to keep playing for fun as well as using the skill semi seriously to inform your work.

Good luck brother.

P.s. You would do well to include all your firefighting/paramedic training & experience in your C.V. You'll be amazed by how many companies want to employ someone with a variety of skills that 'could' be called upon, even if you were going for a musician's or performer's job.

Last edited by GoodVaibes; 12-18-2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Adding some info
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 AM

You probably should meet as many people in the industry as you can and prepare a resume and a demo of your playing. You might consider working with other bands that play a variety of styles of music also. This will put you in contact with more people and give you more experience. Don't be afraid to move on to better opportunities.

With todays computer world you have to make yourself really standout. It seems that everyday a new video of someone, usually a 15 year old kid, is posted who is shredding like Vai. I am not saying you need a KFC bucket and a mask, to be different but market your strengths. You might see if you can find your way into the upcoming NAMM show.

Third, you might ask others like Dave Weiner for tips or suggestions.

Whatever you do finish school first. You may need it later.

Goodluck
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:34 AM

#1 Make sure you finish your schooling for firefighting/paramedic training!

You can do this while you're working on music.
One year of time goes by fast.
Your life will be long and hard if you have no marketable skill.
It will take more than a year to have your band take off anyway, if it does.

I was at that same point years ago.
Even though I had the skills, drive and commitment needed to make it happen, others did not.
Many people in the music business are in it for the wrong reasons or they get sidetracked.
They want to party or meet girls or have people tell them they are so wonderful.
I wanted to do it for the music and nothing else.
People will get in your way for many reason s you can't even imagine yet.
People lose track of the goal or they lack the commitment needed to take it all the way.
I got burnt out on the people in the music business and dropped the idea.

I ended up opening several businesses since 1997 and have been working for myself ever since.
This gave me the time and money to enjoy my music without the frustration.

It's always good to have something to fall back on, like your firefighting/paramedic training.
I'm sure there is something about the firefighting/paramedic training that drew you to it as well.
You can have more than one interest in life and work on all of them, I do.

It's good to shoot high with your passions, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Keep your mind broad in life, it’s very satisfying and brings new light to all the things you do.
Good luck with all your endeavors, whatever they are.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 AM

this

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

print & reread what sebastian said over and over for your sake.

The biggest risk here is mistaking what you call passion (coupled with boredom for a day-job) for what might be some overconfidence. The odds of you being in a successful "band" creating original music is really, really, low (play powerball). Now teaching or doing music tracks or something else is another story.

Never forget, music is a business and until it pays the bills it's actually a "hobby", nothing more than a hobby.

All your eggs in one basket puts you at a large risk (which would then be a strategy actually) to potentially be one of these totally indulgent, self-absorbed hobby "musicians" (artists) who just ages and never grows up or really matures but instead remain stuck in adolescence dreams, parties, etc..... glen
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Not to sound all parenty but the above statement is soooo true. What if you lose the passion for music? Guitarist in Perspectives doesn't quite carry the clout of Paramedic/EMT with College Degree on most resumes.

Have a fall back plan.

Play music on the side until you finish. Like some of the guys have said early on, your not going to book a world tour tomorrow.

Last edited by satchmo72; 12-19-2013 at 10:37 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
print & reread what sebastian said over and over for your sake.

The biggest risk here is mistaking what you call passion (coupled with boredom for a day-job) for what might be some overconfidence. The odds of you being in a successful "band" creating original music is really, really, low (play powerball). Now teaching or doing music tracks or something else is another story.

Never forget, music is a business and until it pays the bills it's actually a "hobby", nothing more than a hobby.

All your eggs in one basket puts you at a large risk (which would then be a strategy actually) to potentially be one of these totally indulgent, self-absorbed hobby "musicians" (artists) who just ages and never grows up or really matures but instead remain stuck in adolescence dreams, parties, etc..... glen
+1 on this.

I dropped out of college to pursue "original" music and while I got a minor college radio song on rotation, I didn't make any money. I thought I was unique in being that I wrote stuff and something got on the radio and I scoffed at those who had immense talent but wasted it on top 40 work or back up sessions and never thought of writing anything.

If you want to enter music, you can take a safe path:

We don't have to look any further than our Satch to see that you can start out doing backup and anonymous but paid work (even peanuts) and plug away for years. Members of the Eagles, Toto, and Bon Jovi also did much safer backup and session work to get their feet wet and get a feel for the industry. Don't go for the glory at first, but work music like it's a sub-minimum wage job that you love and would do for free and that has work to be done and be glad you have any work.

The only musician from my area (of under 250,000 people in mostly rural towns strung together) who made it spent almost 30 years in cover bands or doing backup session work for all styles of music. This guy literally had no ego! While he was as good as anybody I know locally, he never went into the indulgent singer songwriter drama and pretty much considered himself a tool for others to use and as a guitar for hire for any style on a moment's notice. If he didn't know the song, and he knew hundreds of covers, he would learn it in an hour better than the hit artist.

He made himself a human jukebox on guitar and vocals and didn't write a single song from what I know until he was well into his 40s. He never took to any sound or style and was faceless and pretty much was like a Casio electric guitar setting that any employer could use at will. If you wanted him to sound like Steve Vai and have a smooth, swift lead guitar style, he played that way but if you wanted him to sound like Bob Dylan plunking out a percussive rhythm, he did that to perfection, too. But later on when he backed up a songwriter many years his junior and they wrote a tune together it was snapped up by a major company for a ton of money for a commercial and they had a string of original hits late in life.

From the proceeds of a major record deal they were able to record and make videos for many years after that and not worry about a day job. His relentless hard work on the most anonymous levels in stinky clubs playing outdated 50s-80s pop hits or weddings without complaint or self promotion pretty much made a perfect situation for him to make it as a musician and be totally independent in his 50s.

This guy was the only person who didn't want to be a "star" yet that's exactly what happened and our small town is ever so proud of him. In a way, he's the Green Bay Packers (DIY ethic) of our area in music.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:09 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:

Even though I had the skills, drive and commitment needed to make it happen, others did not.
Many people in the music business are in it for the wrong reasons or they get sidetracked.
They want to party or meet girls or have people tell them they are so wonderful.
People lose track of the goal or they lack the commitment needed to take it all the way.

I ended up opening several businesses since 1997 and have been working for myself ever since.

It's always good to have something to fall back on, like your firefighting/paramedic training.
I'm sure there is something about the firefighting/paramedic training that drew you to it as well.

It's good to shoot high with your passions, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Keep your mind broad in life, itís very satisfying and brings new light to all the things you do.
This X 1,000,000
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:

Keep your mind broad in life, itís very satisfying and brings new light to all the things you do.
Need I say more????

Jimmy

Tags
band , decisions , guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode