Question to the internet. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Question to the internet.

When you post something and see a spelling or grammar mistake, why do half of the people on the internet not bother to correct it? Do people actually not notice when they don't use proper punctuation or just not care?

Something I've always wondered. Just because nobody is grading you on your punctuality doesn't mean you shouldn't give a flying monkey-poo about it. Like just right there, I spelled punctuality wrong but I corrected it, is that so hard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 PM

Re: Question to the internet.

People don't care, and if someone else points it out they are grammar nazis and a the thread gets derailed. Personally I think there is a world of difference between an honest spelling mistake and just being lazy or a 14 year old girl.

The stupid/lazy people will get this

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:07 PM

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:20 PM

No, YOU'RE a towel.

Doesn't feel so good, does it CD?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:09 AM

yo dawg, i reallyz dont care dat much no more, but good news is dat da fiyafox browsa got spellchex so theres no excuse man. but keep in yo mind dat engrish aint always somebody's first language, but dis be a guitar forum so who gives a fupp.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 AM

It's just the way Internet is. It's like when you have to write a letter to your boss. You're not gonna write "Hey, watsup man! Hey I need some $$$ right now ... ". Different situations, different writing styles.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
yo dawg, i reallyz dont care dat much no more, but good news is dat da fiyafox browsa got spellchex so theres no excuse man. but keep in yo mind dat engrish aint always somebody's first language, but dis be a guitar forum so who gives a fupp.
That's what I'm talking about!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 AM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
No, YOU'RE a towel.

DOODES OMG!!!! I dont's knows whies, butt dat hurted my fe3lings 2??? I is not a toul, u is a stoopud touel. S2PUD HED!!!

Funny story that this reminded me of. In Middle School, I was a TA for my English teacher. I was helping her grade essays for some of the resident school students (I was, and still am, in the Highly Gifted Program) wrote a paper with spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes just like what I wrote. He even spelled the same word wrong in two different ways.

Last edited by Timbaline; 01-07-2010 at 01:02 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
No, YOU'RE a towel.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 AM

I would cheer more if people corrected my spelling and punctuation more often. I think it's sad that many don't bother to learn their own language properly (this happens in norwegian forums too *insert shock and horror*). After all, it's communication. Every language will be influenced by others over time. I can read moderate 1337/633|< and SMS language, but I try to avoid using it. Even when sending text messages I rather find another word with the same meaning than change every "are" to "r". Doesn't look good.

Of course, some have a harder time reading and writing. I feel that's another thing, but they have the same right to express themselves without getting a wall of correction after each post.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think folks should make every effort to ensure their posts are easy to read.

I think it's pretty insulting to other members if a poster can't be bothered to read over what they've just written before clicking the "submit" button.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 AM

everything i know about writing and reading in english, i've learn'd from this forum, since 2001.
Forums are the best way to learn how you english speakers REALLY write/talk/thinks.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubarão Guitars View Post
everything i know about writing and reading in english, i've learn'd from this forum, since 2001.
Forums are the best way to learn how you english speakers REALLY write/talk/thinks.
Absolutely agree. The same happens with me. It keeps me "updated"

And I didn't get the "you're a towel" thing
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:52 AM

I did not get the whole "towel" thing either...but i must admit...I feel the utmost abhorrence towards the modern use of language. If you are to speak or use a language, learn and use it properly, there is no excuse...even spelling errors...this is why we proof read...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:02 PM

the towel thing is a character from a comedy show, South Park. He is a towel with human qualities that is discriminated against by people because he is a towel. He smokes weed to come up with new ways he can overcome this obstacle.

Tags
grammar , internet , n00b , spelgin , spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode