Quitting Smoking... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Quitting Smoking...

So after approximately 23 years of smoking a pack a day (or more), I'm quitting smoking. I haven't had a smoke since last Wednesday evening.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNAAAAAAAHHHHHHHRRRRGH!

suffice it to say I could use a little moral support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Quitting Smoking...

Well your food is going to taste a lot better now...Good for you keep up the hard work.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:47 AM

Re: Quitting Smoking...

People won't look at you anymore and think "That guy f**king REEKS!" and you'll also have more money for guitars. There are a ton more good things but I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

Either way, congrats, good luck with it and remember that the people around you benefit too (you'll live longer.)
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 AM

I smoked for just over 20 years, and quit about 8 years ago with the patch. Couldn't be happier with that decision, I only wish I had put more effort into quitting earlier. The patch isn't really cold turkey, but it does help you get past the times when you would have normally lit up, like getting in a car or after a meal or something.
I can run up a flight of stairs now without losing my breath, which is cool. Heck, I go to karate 6 times a week which wouldn't have been possible on the cigs. Just stick to it, it does get easier!

jim
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM

Keep going. I'm proud of you I know it's hard, but it's worth it and trust me the only bad part is the cravings everything else will get better and better. And eventually the cravings will go away.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 AM

Wish you much luck ! I smoke since 30 years. Last year i tried to quit, but after 6 weeks i began during work....to much stress. At home it's no problem.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 AM

Everytime you want a smoke pick up your geetar and play till the feeling goes away.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:23 PM

I used the gum and it helped, but it felt like cheating. The patch is really the way to go or just cold turkey. I only smoked for 5 years and every day I still feel like a cig after 1 1/2 years of no smokes. I can't imagine what you're going through. Stay strong.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:36 PM

Good for you man! Smoking (tobacco) is for losers.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:47 PM

Every time you want a cigarette have a w*nk instead!!

It won't be long before you don't have the energy to even think about a cigarette
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
Every time you want a cigarette have a w*nk instead!!

It won't be long before you don't have the energy to even think about a cigarette
All I know is I rubbed one off to kotornut's post earlier. So much love...

Seriously, thanks to you all for the kind and encouraging words. It's helped my day go a little more smoothly in between requests to reboot this or that server.

FYI, I'm using the patch. My inclination at this point is, naturally, to simply peel that sucker off, roll it up, and smoke it, but I'll be a good boy, I suppose.

My wife is being pretty cool about this. She's never had a cigarette in her life, so she has no conception of what I'm going through. Nevertheless, she's trying, so credit where credit is due.

Anyway, I guess I'm holding up. It would be super easy for me to either bum a smoke from a coworker or simply go to the gas station and buy a pack, but amazingly enough, my willpower has evidently kicked into high gear. Who knew?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM

Good Luck!!!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:54 PM

Apparently my psych teacher used hypnotism to help him stop, and it worked very well. I guess it might help the mind cope since hypnotism is a pretty good psychological device
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:57 PM

Best of luck man, but as I said last time this subject came up - quitting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times.

Give it another week and you probably find that you are having dreams about smoking, which is really weird. I have now quit, but something to bear in mind is that even though it's only been 5 days since your last ciggie, if you lit up it would be horrible. You wouldn't enjoy it and you'll kick yourself afterwards. My problem was that I discovered the second one was nicer, followed by the third, followed by, oh god I'm smoking loads again. Took me a long time to finally quit, but I'm glad I did.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos731 View Post
So after approximately 23 years of smoking a pack a day (or more), I'm quitting smoking. I haven't had a smoke since last Wednesday evening.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNAAAAAAAHHHHHHHRRRRGH!

suffice it to say I could use a little moral support.
Very good of you mate. Not only will you save money, it's also good for your health and those around you.

You don't need cigarettes to function in life, have fun, play music or anything else.

Be proud of yourself and welcome to the club of non smokers.

As a long time ex-smoker ( 15 years smoking a pack per day) i know what you are going through.

It gets easier each day mate.

Like alcoholism though: once you are addicted, you are a lifetime smoker. You can never smoke "only just one cigarette" again. And no, that's not a bad thing, that's a good thing mate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode