Quote from a member here in 07' - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Quote from a member here in 07'

Saw this on a search. Very poignant, even today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendeath View Post
Ok. So If I put the number 69 on my guitar and just add a few minor touches it's 1 million dollars.

Lately I think these kind of things are becoming ridiculous. It's like what Kirk Hammett said in my magazine. "People anymore are spending thousands of dollars to mount guitars on walls. Guitars were meant to be played. And guitars are something that is becoming only available to the Super Rich and CEO's." I think that quote is becoming more and more true every day. It seems like you can't get a good guitar anymore for anything cheap. Also guitars are becoming something more of a piece of business rather than something to play. This just solidifies this claim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:07 PM

Re: Quote from a member here in 07'

because Hammett doesn't have his name on any expensive signature models.

How many people here have many guitars and how many of them are CEOs or rich. How about Hammett concentrates on making a good Metallica album, they are 25 years past due on that.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
because Hammett doesn't have his name on any expensive signature models.

How many people here have many guitars and how many of them are CEOs or rich. How about Hammett concentrates on making a good Metallica album, they are 25 years past due on that.

I just liked the quote . It IS true though. Very very very few guitars truly warrant their price tag. The JEM is definitely overpriced at 2499. It's a great guitar, but should be priced around 1500 new IMHO. Les pauls and fenders shouldnt run up to 3000$ either. The amount of "Craftsmanship" in their "supreme" lineups is arguably better then their "standard" models, certainly not worth the extra 2000$ you pay.

He was also complaining that a lot of people buy high end guitars to leave in their case in the closet.

And Yes, they need to have a good album. I like Load, Metallica, and parts of their other 90's albums, but nothing that really shook me.

edit : Hammetts signature ESP is like 3,000$, which is kinda ironic in a way.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 PM

Who cares if people want to buy guitars and not play them? Hammett has a few signature models that are on the pricey side, but for the love of God, please don't let this be another overpriced guitar thread.....
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Who cares if people want to buy guitars and not play them? Hammett has a few signature models that are on the pricey side, but for the love of God, please don't let this be another overpriced guitar thread.....

I meant it more as a play vs not playing thread. Seems like a lot of people collect and try to hold value instead of buying the instrument with the intent to play it.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 PM

What's wrong with that though. It's their money. I'm sure Hammett himself has some "collection" guitars in his closet. Isn't the ESP 20th anniv Hammett sig one of those guitars. He's just trying to be the cool guy.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Quote from a member here in 07'

My favorite guitar to play is the Ibanez AF105SM Exotic Explorer that I bought off of Rich for under $1,000 with case and shipping!! Trust me a "good" guitar for a good price can still be had!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM

Reviews: 4

That is a pretty good quote from KH, even if he is a little guity, I guess I'm just the grey area guy lol.

Cid, This thread has a "do not resuscitate" clause
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 PM

agreed.
I wonder if I can convince Glenn to make that a moderator option. Like if a thread gets no posts for a set number of days we can make it stay dead without locking it......
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
agreed.
I wonder if I can convince Glenn to make that a moderator option. Like if a thread gets no posts for a set number of days we can make it stay dead without locking it......

most forums have a warning at least if a post hasnt been responded to in a set amount of time. Some have inability to post if you arent a moderator if its over a certain time frame.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

People buy paintings but they don't need to be painters,people buy planes but they don't need to be pilots,some collect cars only to look to them and show to their friends!
I saw in that MTV Cribbs(I think that was the name of that show) rich people with their rich mansions with more than 10 huge tvs,Gene Simmons has a 30 million dollars house and he even said he never went to some rooms of his house.
Why somebody needs a 30 million dollars house when 95% of the world is in poverty?
Doesn't it shows he couldn't care less about others suffering?

Like Elcid said it's their money.
How many guys have only one guitar,learned a metallica riff and never made 1 song or played in a band?
To me it's the same thing.
Since I was 16 I knew I'd be a guitarist still besides my 8 guitars which some I play at the stage and some only in the house,I'd love having a room plenty of guitars I like,a room full of mesa boogies etc
Why would somebody care about what people do with THEIR money?
Bottom line they're just buying guitars and not building atomic bombs.

And yes Kirk was just trying to sound like a cool guy but to me he sounded like a dumb guy.
Why doesn't he asks ESP to sell his guitar for 300 dollars instead of 3000?
Only his guitar isn't expensive?
Nonsense.
Jems are overpriced because they have Vai name on them and not because they're a jewel made of diamonds.
If people spend their money buying Vai name it's their problem................but Vai thanks them all for paying his bills lol

Last edited by 6fingers; 01-23-2011 at 11:00 PM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
People buy paintings but they don't need to be painters,people buy planes but they don't need to be pilots,some collect cars only to look to them and show to their friends!
I saw in that MTV Cribbs(I think that was the name of that show) rich people with their rich mansions with more than 10 huge tvs,Gene Simmons has a 30 million dollars house and he even said he never went to some rooms of his house.
Why somebody needs a 30 million dollars house when 95% of the world is in poverty?
Doesn't it shows he couldn't care less about others suffering?

Like Elcid said it's their money.
How many guys have only one guitar,learned a metallica riff and never made 1 song or played in a band?
To me it's the same thing.
Since I was 16 I knew I'd be a guitarist still besides my 8 guitars which some I play at the stage and some only in the house,I'd love having a room plenty of guitars I like,a room full of mesa boogies etc
Why would somebody care about what people do with THEIR money?
Bottom line they're just buying guitars and not building atomic bombs.

And yes Kirk was just trying to sound like a cool guy but to me he sounded like a dumb guy.
Why doesn't he asks ESP to sell his guitar for 300 dollars instead of 3000?
Only his guitar isn't expensive?
Nonsense.
Jems are overpriced because they have Vai name on them and not because they're a jewel made of diamonds.
If people spend their money buying Vai name it's their problem................but Vai thanks them all for paying his bills lol

cheers for saying what everyone else already said all over again buddy

You have a knack for words.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
cheers for saying what everyone else already said all over again buddy

You have a knack for words.
And you have a knack for extremelly dumb threads like "Ibanez is stupid,my pup died and hey look what Hammett said".
Still you keep making them trying to sound original and smart.
You can't even imagine how many members are saying your threads are dumb.
But that's your problem and not mine but obviously you don't know they're dumb.

Instead of attacking me with name callings like in that other thread,you should start better threads and spread friendship and not fightings.
I never was disrespectful to you or used name callings,along with your threads it shows me how dumb you're.
You should respect EVERYBODY who replies to your thread no matter if you like or not their replies
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
And you have a knack for extremelly dumb threads like "Ibanez is stupid,my pup died and hey look what Hammett said".
Still you keep making them trying to sound original and smart.
You can't even imagine how many members are saying your threads are dumb.
But that's your problem and not mine but obviously you don't know they're dumb.

Instead of attacking me with name callings like in that other thread,you should start better threads and spread friendship and not fightings.
I never was disrespectfull to you or used name callings,along with your threads it shows me how dumb you're.
You should respect EVERYBODY who replies to your thread no matter if you like or not their replies

cool man.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 PM

wait for it.........

wait for it........

wait....

wait....

POW!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode