The Rat Race! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

The Rat Race!

I am completely tired of the rat race, working for someone else, answering to someone else, and all the BS involved! Does anyone have any ideas of how to get out of the rat race? Moreover, what do our fellow Jemsters do for a living?

If it wasn't for me being married I would move back with my parents, rent my house out, and start over because I am so tired of it!

Also, Americans work too much! Europe does it the right way! Alot of vacation time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:32 PM

Re: The Rat Race!

Hang in there! I know as well as anybody it gets frustrating and tough sometimes.

My best advice? I'll say follow your dreams and find the type of career where you enjoy the work. I spent some long, frustrating years but I now have a full-time job leading experiential education programs for teens. Of course my job isn't perfect but it's what I love to do. Also, it's impossible to put a dollar
amount on the rewards of having young people excited to see me and looking forward to my programs.

And just a couple of thoughts to make you think: why not use what you have learned in working for someone else to go into business for yourself? And if it's just you and your wife, why not share your frustraions with her, move back in with the folks for a pre-determined and pre-arranged period of time, save some dough, and re-evaluate your life?

(of course, I am probably reducing complicated situations to simple generalizations, and I don't even know what type of work you do, but just thought I'd toss out some ideas.)

Peace, best wishes to you.

Mike
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Hey Mike thanks for the great advice, because it is. We thought about it, and we are still thinking about it, it would be tougher on her living with my parents. I would love your job. I'm actually thinking once I finish my degree getting into education.

I want to do something that means something.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Honestly, these days, just be happy you have a job. Long term, my whole industry is headed offshore. A lot of the work that we get is for designing things that will be manufactured in another country.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 PM

Ken, that's also a good point. Tough times ahead for many of us. Stay positive, everyone, keep playing music, and hang in there!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: The Rat Race!

My father was a teacher for 37 years he died while still actively working. He left his pension to my son. Almost $2,000.00 a month for the rest of his life. Education is rewarding in many different aspects. The health benefits are great, free life insurance...

Good luck
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71 View Post
Also, Americans work too much! Europe does it the right way! Alot of vacation time.
I tend to disagree

Certainly a normal job in the UK doesn't give a lot of vacation time!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
I tend to disagree

Certainly a normal job in the UK doesn't give a lot of vacation time!!
UK still has mandatory vacation time (all European Union countries do), the US does not.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:33 PM

I dunno Andy, ive worked for US firms and in the US also.
lots of guys only get 1 weeks paid holiday per year for quite some time, my company was generous and gave 2 weeks.
the funniest thing was when someone in the firm pointed out that the legal minimum in europe was 4 weeks, the boss sat down with his calculator and gave us 4 weeks but took away all paid bank holidays, resulting in 12 days holiday

anyway, back on subject - I also dislike working fulltime for a single company.
I love the freedom of what I do now even though I work far far harder than I would if I were working for someone else.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
I have a part-time job. I don't work full-time and I don't plan on doing so any time soon. I did that before and I just went nuts.

In that interview with Steve Vai that was posted, in which he spoke about his depression he said that everything other than music was a pale second for him. I have the same with film and music. I don't know about being a full-time musician, but I would like to make films full-time, hypothetically speaking. I could do that. But pretty much everything else is just a job. Something I have to do. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy going to work. But there's really nothing I'd rather do than to make art. And afaik you don't have to 'climb a ladder' in order to do so.

And the job I have (receptionist) isn't really a position that's hard to get, so..

Alwin
So I guess my advice would be is to find out what you truly like/love doing and then do that.

Btw, I never knew people in the US have less vacation time. Sounds like even more of a drag. Four weeks of vacation is not that much, imo, in a whole year...

Life is too short, folks.

Alwin
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:49 PM

There is no such thing as a mandatory "Vacation minimum" in the States.
My wife has 0 (zero) days paid vacation.
Sure, she can take vacation or just the odd day off, but she doesn't get paid for it.
Sucks the big one....
(no, not mine......)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: The Rat Race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
My father was a teacher for 37 years he died while still actively working. He left his pension to my son. Almost $2,000.00 a month for the rest of his life. Education is rewarding in many different aspects. The health benefits are great, free life insurance...

Good luck
Summers off, great retirement, holidays...

Teaching is the sh!t, man...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:42 PM

I wasn't implying anyone had more or less holiday than us.....just that i don't think it's enough
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM

Well EU law does state a madatory 20 days paid holiday for an employee, and this is in addition to public/bank holidays as far as I'm aware (so any UK guys not getting that should speak to HR immediately!).

When I lived in the US, I was lucky in that I negotiated 15 days, which was 5 more than I was entitled too and was mainly compensating the fact that there are less public holidays in the US.

Anyways, back to the point of the post. I've always loved this Chinese proverb:

"Do a job you love and you'll never work another day in your life."

So my advice would basically be to do something you want to do, not something that's just to pay the bills.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:05 PM

That's not realistic though, because if everyone did the job they love there wouldn't be anyone doing the bad jobs that have to be done!!!!

Tags
steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode