Be realistic -- PDA or pen & paper organizer? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Be realistic -- PDA or pen & paper organizer?

I am a pretty busy college student. I have homework to remember, meetings for work, meetings with various clubs, and many other events that pop up in my life. Right now I'm having a hard time keeping track of everything, and so I'd like to get something to organize my day. Right now I'm looking at PDAs, but I'm pretty skeptical. A lot of people have said that a basic pocket organizer functions for them better. I am quite a techie, but I want my organizer to organize my life and not perform every function under the sun. That said, is there a real advantage to getting an electronic organizer versus a pen and paper one? If I get a PDA, I'd like to keep it under $150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 11:56 PM

Re: Be realistic -- PDA or pen & paper organizer?

blackberry. that way you can throw out your mobile phone, too.

mind you, i'm fairly biased - my wife is a director for RIM, who make blackberry. so in a manner of speaking, you buying a blackberry indirectly buys me more guitars!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 12:40 AM

Alot of people got by for a lot of years with just paper and pencil. I've never had a PDA
and don't ever see myself needing one aslong as I have an appointment book.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 03:48 AM

I'm old school paper organizer/calender .

Regards

André

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 06:04 AM

pen + paper, but I never owned an organiser, well, not one that I used anyway.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 06:12 AM
dex

I've had PDA's for many years now, started with Sony Clie 300, went on to Clie SJ22, Clie TJ37 and now I have a TH55.
Having an organiser is a great thing if you need to know what's going on at all times.
Palm (Clie are Palm powered) has the edge mainly because they make organisers as oposite to Pocket PC who try and make a "all in one" machine where you'll never use most of the options.
What I find extremely usefull on the Clie is that it syncs up with MS Outlook so each morning when I drop it in the cradle at work it picks up all my new emails, my callendar (meetings and such), the calendar function has month/week/day view and it's easy to see when your commitments are and also you can set up reminders before meetings and stuff.
Also you can use AvantGo and download all news each morning and catch up on current events whenever you have a few minutes.
The great thing about the WiFi is that you can check your emails at hotspots and with something like DocumentsToGo you have full Word/Excel edit capability.
I've personally found having an organiser a great help.
The best thing about the Clie's is they are uber cheap as Sony stoped making organisers so they are effectively discontinued and you can get something like the SJ22 for less than $100.

Best thing to do is ask someone who has one to demo it for you and you'll be wondering how you ever managed without an organiser.

ilia
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 11:44 AM

Until they make a PDA that you can talk into and it types it up, I'll stick to a good book and a cheap pen. The graffiti language, stylus pen and LCD keyboard just doesn't do it for me. For the time it takes to input the data, I can have it written and have drunk a cappuccino.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 04:07 PM

my brother has a sweet dell axim and its awesome...i would reccomond it! and he has a cool blue tooth wireless keyboard.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 PM

Reviews: 1

I'm a PDA advocate, I started with the Palm V and have the Tungsten E series now.
One thing you can't do easily with paper is search key words. The palms can search for data based on whatever you set.
Same with addresses, pictures, music, etc.
I'm not a fan of the Blackberry stuff, sorry to say, they are a tad pricy for the features that you get and service isn't cheap either. They are in vogue with sales people here, but so is the Treo 650 which EVERYONE has around here. You can also compose email on the run and either send when you hot sync, or buy a wifi connected PDA that will do it at the local Starbucks.
+1 PDA
Bamm
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
I'm a PDA advocate, I started with the Palm V and have the Tungsten E series now.
One thing you can't do easily with paper is search key words. The palms can search for data based on whatever you set.
Same with addresses, pictures, music, etc.
I'm not a fan of the Blackberry stuff, sorry to say, they are a tad pricy for the features that you get and service isn't cheap either. They are in vogue with sales people here, but so is the Treo 650 which EVERYONE has around here. You can also compose email on the run and either send when you hot sync, or buy a wifi connected PDA that will do it at the local Starbucks.
+1 PDA
Bamm
thing with the blackberry gear is that on the most part it's really aimed at the corporate user, so yeah, they are pricey (unless you married into the company). i believe they are still the only device that provides live email, though (as opposed to connecting via wifi, etc.) which will change soon, as RIM are working with nokia, intel, etc. to share their technology.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 01:16 AM

I had a Compaq iPaq about 3 years ago. Played with it for a while, then sold it. It was useless to me. If I needed an organizer, I'd go with a paper one. It's cheaper, it has better user interface and it's 100% reliable. For the most part I prefer to keep things in my head. If I write anything down (to paper or a computer) I immediately forget it.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 01:32 AM

Reviews: 1

Once I write something it helps me commit it to memory, but better yet, I can help recall the details (depending on how verbosely I jot) with a swipe of the stylus. And like I'd said, the phone directory alone is great, no pages to flip or tear, you also keep a backup so even if the palm is run over by a bus, the thing catches on fire or you lose it, you have a sync'ed up copy on your PC.
You lose the paper version, you are done.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 12:41 PM

my dad uses a blackberry....i think they are great! He only has it though cause his work pays for it.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 02:27 PM

I went with the pen and paper route. I bought a really nice leather Ralph Lauren organizer book, and it has made a huge difference keeping track of my college studies.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 06:17 PM

I keep my phonebook in my Casio Hotbiz watch:

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/Casio/Ho...abaseFront.jpg

I've been using it for six years now and it has saved my ass dozens of times. Too bad it's out of production now. I'd buy another one, even though it cost me $200 when I bought it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode