Recording - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Recording

Hey!,
I'm going to start recording soon, I have the mic and fancy soundcard to my PC, and then on to Cubase. Is it a good idea to get a mixing desk inbetween the mic and souncard?

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Sabre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 08:06 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Recording

I think you have just opened a massive can of worms...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
I think you have just opened a massive can of worms...
...? I don't understand.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:03 PM

well it's up to you in the end. i'm using pro tools and i just connect right into the Digi 002R rack unit. so it goes right from mic into the pro tools interface. i don't mess with mixers anymore. i love the less is more approach, unless your "less" delivers less. you may not be able to connect a mic into a soundcard and get wonderous tones. you may need a board to tweak your sound before entering the pc. maybe not....you will know.

obviously you would want a board if your pc was in the room with your band. you would be able to mic everyone and run the out from the board to the soundcard, thus recording everyone. if you didn't have a board you would just have the one mic recording the entire room = NO GOOD.

these are the basics and i'm sure you are already passed this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:40 PM

I would just get a simple preamp to go between the mic and soundcard.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 03:36 PM

You don't need a mixer to record single instrument tracks individually.

You could also use your computer as a mixer as well. Though, your limited by the number of inputs on your computer.

If I were trying to record an entire band, I would use a mixer.

I personally, use a Tone Port and/or a PODxtl. I've tried micing with limited success. For me it's a pain. If I had an isolation room/box for the amp and could remotely monitor it from a differant room that may be a differant story. Every little thing affects the sound of a mic'd cab. I personally don't have the time, space or patients to deal with it.

The thing I like about the toneport.....

Mics w/switchable phantom power, Line in, instrument level in, AISO drivers, digital out, etc.

The software is some of the best, compared to alot of other modeling type products. Considering I only paid $149 dollars for it new. Plus, with the toneport you get mic preamp models, bass guitar amp and cab models, and guitar and cab models. It just covers alot of bases. I like being able to record vocals, bass, and guitar through the one, easy to use, interface. It's definately NOT pro grade.

For starting out, I think it's a nice device and yields some good end results.

It is a decent interface between your computer and whatever it is your connecting to it, even if your just micing up your existing guitar cab with it.

I'm just a record at home type of guy, so it's good enough for me.

I have a guitar clip if you want to hear it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all! I'm going to leave the mixer out for now, I have a M-Box on it's way and a SM-57 to get me started. I'm interested in Re-Amping though, could someone explain this to me?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode