red ring?? 360 I mean, 3 rings of death solution! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
red ring?? 360 I mean, 3 rings of death solution!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31tvXu34T8Q

thought this may come in handy for someone. my old one died of other causes, typical of course but this hopefully may help someone on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM

Re: red ring?? 360 I mean, 3 rings of death solution!

Thanks, im gettin a 360 this saturday woohoo! Send on your gamertags
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 PM

Firstly as a PS3 owner can I just say...........Ha ha !!

Secondly, (with slightly more grown up response mode on) this is not a good solution. The reason the 360 dies is because the machines heat sinks are poorly connected from factory. The towel trick simply cooks the unit so much that is melts the connection of the heatsink back on. What do you think this method might be doing to the rest of the machines internals?

I don't have a link to it but if you google "360 heat sink tutorial" you should eventualy come accross a tute with multiple pictures on how to take the cover off and sort this problem properly with a only about a 5 spend at Maplins and a soldering iron.

I researched all this when deciding between 360 or PS3. There are tons of people out there who have had the towel trick work for them only to get the red rings again 2 weeks later.

If something came loose in your ipod would you put it in the oven for half an hour in the hopes of getting it to melt back together?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM

^^ exactly.

Mine got the 3 red lights and I took it to a guy near me that took a metal plate out of it (that was retaining heat over the processor) and bingo, no more red lights
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

yeah knew its just a quick patch me up job and not a proper solution, but i thought if anyone had an old one collecting dust they didnt use anymore because of this they may have thought to give that a go to get some use out of it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

oh yeah another thing dont go wandering off while its 'cooking' last thing i wanna do is cause house fires
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Every friend of my mine who owned a 360 got the 3 red rings. And it happened to me just recently. I was surprised because lately, I only play about 2 hours of xbox for the week. At least customer service has been accomodating, but still it doesn't excuse crappy build quality.

and anyone else pissed off about the crappy Live service over the holidays? The moment i had free time to get some Call of Duty 4 multiplayer going, the whole service was down. One of the reasons why I've been playing less :-/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

cod4 had problems about a week ago trying to get into MP games, only lasted for a couple of days though.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 04:01 AM

Reviews: 1

yup. been xbox 360 owner for about a year. still havent had a problem. everything works great. still. i love all the games for it. graphics are nice and awesome on my 42". the only think i find stupid is the giant power supply. that thing is huge. but it only sits in one room now so i dont carry it around so much anymore.

i cant wait for devil may cry 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2.

and for the wii. Super Smash Bros. Brawl. FTW!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode