Rehearsal Space Blues - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Rehearsal Space Blues

So my band Chaometry has been in the same rehearsal room since it was just me and my Drummer, and for two of us, it was fine. The surrounding bands sucked, but once we started playing, we didn't hear them as much. But when recording time came around, it was a frigging nightmare. We have one band that is just a bunch of no-talent yuppies having fun, which is fine, but they suck balls and don't know the finer points of noise gates, volume control or playing... Anyway, once we expanded to include our Bassist and KB player, things cozied up and we were still ok. Now, with a Singer... Ughh, the volume is too high, the space is tight, there is no such thing as ventilation, and to top it off, 2 new much crappier bands moved in adjacent to us. We've been on a "list" for a bigger room and just had it sold out from under us, due to a new guy not knowing we were on said "list". so, we've pretty much decided to gtfo of Dodge, so to speak, and are looking for rehearsal spaces. It's just a PITA, to have to interview these guys and you hear the same song and dance from each, just trying to get you into their tiny rooms promising another larger one is going to open up next week, for whatever reason they spew at you. Is there a class on running rehearsal buildings in Chicago?

It's just one of those things you wish was easier and less BS involved.

Anyone know what I'm Sayn'?

Our room is roughly 14x 12 which with my 1/2 stack, Bass players stack, the PA, the KBs, drums and recording gear, etc, it's tight...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Rehearsal Space Blues

so, the landlord found out we were looking elsewhere and offered us a new space that is about 3 times the size of our place for not much more money.
I'm going to spec it out tomorrow, should be cool.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Rehearsal Space Blues

Everyone has to put up with the other guys in the practice rooms, but "new guy" should have known (or really should have been shown) simple things like "where the waiting list is".

glad you're getting to look at a bigger space.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:52 PM

Reviews: 12

a band i was in used to share a huge room in the mill in lancs with another band but alternated nights, it was great but more often than not the other bands in the other rehersal rooms around would kep wopping up there gear to stupid levels which in turn would force us to turn up quite a bit, until it would eventually become painfully loud! We eventually found a cellar in a pub locally which was great as we didn't need to play so loud to hear each other.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

I didn't get to see it today, but the guys had my go ahead to nab it if they thought it was worth the money. With any luck, we move in this weekend!
Will post some pics once we get going.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

So this room was supposed to be immense, and I guess it was, I've never seen it, but look at this friggin email from the ass-pirate manager...
From us:
Quote:
Hey XXXXXXXXXXXX,

I am just touching base with you regarding our new room.
We are still moving in on Monday 9-14-09, right? I am confirming this because I will be in the process of tearing down, packing up my whole studio, and clean in our current room 35 in the next couple days. I want to make sure of the details (ie: keys, rent for the remaining month, etc..).

Thanks again for our much larger room and hope to hear from you soon.
From Him:
Quote:
XXXXXXX,
As long as I can get the cleaning crew in there on Monday or Tuesday to clean up after the party. I'll see them tonight and try and schedule it for Monday or tuesday - I don't think it'll be a problem. I'll let you know tomorrow.

My partners (me included) are worried about how you guys rehearsing is going to affect our hourly customers in the space next to you. I'm not sure how loud you guys play, but if it becomes a problem, we'll have to move you.

My partners and I have sunk a lot of money into that space surrounding the room you'll be in, so they're not real thrilled about you guys being in there. So I want you to know that if any of your band members or guests **** up the space in any way (holes in the wall, writing in the bathrooms etc.) they're going to make me move you guys out of there. Also, if the hallway door to that space is EVER, FOR ANY REASON, LEFT OPEN AND NOT LOCKED - EVEN ONE TIME - you guys have to move out of there. This is an issue that is non-negotiable. That door need to be locked 24/7. I want to make sure that that is crystal clear.

We just spent close to $700 fixing that room up and painting it, so if you're going to paint in there, you have to paint in back the black color (to the same standards it's painted now) when you move out.

And keep in mind, like we discussed, when we have an event going on, you guys can't rehearse. We already have a Halloween event scheduled for Saturday 10/31 , an event scheduled Saturday 11/17/09 and a new years eve event scheduled. Once word gets around that we have an available event room, it's going to be booked a lot.

Also, if we ever need that room back, we're going to take it. I'm not trying to sound like an ******* or be negative, it's just that I have 2 partners that have invested a lot of money into that space, and I want you to be aware of what may happen. As you can see, there are a lot of issues with this room, and if we have to move you and we either don't have anything open, or anything but a small room available for you, I don't know how that'll work for you. Please think about this. So, if you'd rather stay where you're at until something bigger opens in the regular space, it might be better.
Granted, there are some flippin morons in that space, and things have been and are regularly defaced by other people in the building, however, it is none of us, and the whole tone is rather crappy, basically dissuading us from taking the spot.
So, now, we aren't moving at all..FKRZ...

Tags
chicago , rehearsal , spots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode