Rhode Island Station Fire... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Red face Rhode Island Station Fire...

Anyone catch the VH1 special for this?

It was awesome...Here's how I graded it...
Tesla...B
Eric Martin (Mr. Big)...B+
Stryper (with Tom Scholz)...A
John Rich (Big & Rich)...B
Gretchen Wilson...A-
Winger (w/Reb Beach)C+
Twisted Sister...C

I am gonna go donate some cash...If you get a chance check it out I'm sure VH1 will replay like 10,000 times...Which is not a bad thing!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 AM

Re: Rhode Island Station Fire...

Woah, STRYPER gets an A? What am I missing here? Is it cuz of Tom? Haha. Sweet though. It's a shame how that crap affected Great White's career. So many people blamed them for it, but its just senseless negligence on the owners part. Who the fck has FLAMMABLE soundproofing in a rock club??
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Rhode Island Station Fire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
Woah, STRYPER gets an A? What am I missing here? Is it cuz of Tom? Haha. Sweet though. It's a shame how that crap affected Great White's career. So many people blamed them for it, but its just senseless negligence on the owners part. Who the fck has FLAMMABLE soundproofing in a rock club??
Yeah I thought the same thing about the fire...

I'm a Stryper fan and the vocals were great...as well as the guitars, Tom Scholz was actually the weak link,but...

Tesla-the singer was sick, so the vocals weren't there
Eric Martin-didn't hit all the high notes
John Rich-a little schmaltzy
Gretchen Wilson- Great voice but was an all acoustic Heart cover
Winger-Vocals weren't there and the guitar was a tad muddy
Twisted Sister-No guitar solo, and it was the original Twisted...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:39 PM

I didn't get to see the whole thing - only the end with Stryper tearing it up Boston style and right after that Dee was out to introduce the country acts...I knew Michael Sweet was going to sing for Boston before this, but I didn't expect to see Oz and Robert tearing it up with Tom "just standing" there (like I said I only saw the tail end of it)...

....Not complaining at all as I knew Michael professionally, but it reminded me of a cover/tribute band. I think Mike would do great for Boston, but is the rest of Stryper part of the band too? Exciting in a way, but (IMO) weird to play Boston totally unlike Boston's classic style...Thrash-Boston...that what it seemed to me...just weird.

Is this being televised anymore ? I'd like to see the whole thing...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Rhode Island Station Fire...

This is a good start...

http://blog.vh1.com/2008-03-03/rock-...ion-fire-show/

and I think youtube has some stuff on there
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:25 PM

Reviews: 3

It's a shame how that crap affected Great White's career. So many people blamed them for it, but its just senseless negligence on the owners part. Who the fck has FLAMMABLE soundproofing in a rock club??

as i've said before, this was just a very tragic accident. there is blame on both parts, the band and the owners. the aftermath of the survivors and their families is the hardest part now. there are frivolous lawsuits because of the fire. and companies are settling out of court. i don't understand how Anheuser Busch and the local distributor, Mclauglin and Moran, settled for 21 million. they had absolutely nothing to do with the fire. they wanted to avoid a trial though.
here's what was in the lawsuit
In the lawsuit, they’re accused of promoting the concert by selling Budweiser beer, T-shirts, and hats, without having inquired about the dangers of the Great White band’s pyrotechnics performance.

i am truly inspired by the bands that played at the benefit. i hope that if nothing else comes of this, that people who deserve the money get it, and that public awareness is heightened to avoid future tragedies like this.
sorry to go off on a rant, but this is an event that has really changed my life.
i probably played over 200 shows there, and been there over 1000 times, as i live about 5 minutes away.
i drive by several times a week and we still see people at the memorial.
i should have been there that night, but thankfully i wasnt. i lost several friends though. so out of respect, lets not get into how it hurt great whites career, or who is to blame. let's try to help the people that really need it.
thanks for listening
Ron
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 09:23 PM

I have to say, the Stryper part with Scholz was the worst part, IMO. And it wasn't because of Scholz either...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
This is a good start...

http://blog.vh1.com/2008-03-03/rock-...ion-fire-show/

and I think youtube has some stuff on there

Thanks bro !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode