Rip off guitars. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 21
Rip off guitars.

Just curious.
What guitars have you played that you discovered were really disappointing, or even an outright rip-off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Re: Rip off guitars.

besides the jem? **ducks rotten tomatoes**
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
besides the jem? **ducks rotten tomatoes**
LOL! It's the spendthrift's RG! hehehe!

Just kidding all, obviously!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:18 PM

Do we really need this thread?
I got $100 that says if the thread isnt closed it will turn into a Gibson/PRS/Fender bashing thread like every other overpriced guitar thread.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Do we really need this thread?
I got $100 that says if the thread isnt closed it will turn into a Gibson/PRS/Fender bashing thread like every other overpriced guitar thread.
I thought the same thing too, and you're probably right, but I wanted to see if we could get some usefull information. Maybe it would be good to include gear as well.
Just a thought. If it's an unpopular topic I'd imagine the thread would just sink fast.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:33 PM

Like the Fender Jaguar / Jazzmaster series. They got away from that unusual trem for a reason. And those slider controls. But people have taken to them again, and the price has gone up.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Banned

Yep, conflict closes threads. So you better praise Ibanez around here. Ibanez is the religion and Jem is the god in this church. Now it'll get closed. hehe
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I thought the same thing too, and you're probably right, but I wanted to see if we could get some usefull information. Maybe it would be good to include gear as well.
Just a thought. If it's an unpopular topic I'd imagine the thread would just sink fast.
Nothing useful ever comes from these threads. RUle of thumb around here is if the guitar is over $1000 and not a Jem, people will say its overpriced.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Nothing useful ever comes from these threads. RUle of thumb around here is if the guitar is over $1000 and not a Jem, people will say its overpriced.
Yep, sadly that is the case...Then people start using this rationale: "well, if it's worth it to you, then it's not overpriced"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned

And if you buy a Crystal Planet, and hang it in a glass case and never play it......
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 PM

In before tha lock!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 PM

Yeah, this thread is kinda pointless and will lead to nothing but rants. I'm sure one of the mods will step in and take care of this. What's a "ripoff" or "overpriced" is totally subjective. In my opinion, if you like the guitar and you think its the best (For your taste) that you can get for that price, then ya got yourself a good deal.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 PM

I dont know if I have ever felt ripped off. But I do thorough research and go out and play a brand before I buy it. So I know what to expect.

But what is cool is when you get a guitar that absolutely surprises you.
One of the best guitars I have ever purchased and I find that I play it all of the time,rather than the expensive guitars, is the Ibanez RG321 MH. Simple guitar with a mahogany body, bound neck. But it feels great and it plays wonderfully. And it wont break the bank.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Okay..... it was a bad idea for a thread.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 PM

I find the Paul Gilbert model as a rip off feature wise, but yet I'll probably end up buying one just because I don't need to change much with the electronics in there. 500+ bucks more than the rg 1570..with no floyd style tremolo, painted f holes, dimarzio pickups doesn't warrant the price feature wise in my honest opinion. To me, no guitar is a rip off if you truly truly love it for what it is and I do love the PGM model.

Tags
crystal planet , custom shop , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ernie ball , fender custom shop , fret board , korean guitar , les paul , mahogany body , maple fret , maple fret board , neil young , paul gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode