Safe way to send money order? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Safe way to send money order?

Being a college student and all, I don't really have a credit card. However, I just won a Trident Stiletto on **** and it's quite a hefty sum. Is there any way that I can pay for it via money order and have it be "protected" or "secured" in case the seller decides to run away with the money and not ship me the item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 06:46 AM

Re: Safe way to send money order?

Sending a money order is prety much like sending cash I think.
Just make sure he has realy good feedback and that it's not just artificial feedback that he put together before trying to scam someone.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

How do I know if his feedback is artifical? His feedback is 100% and he has aboug 381 items, but I'm still a bit skeptical because it's such a large amount of money.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 04:39 PM

If you look at feedback, make sure there's a good mix of selling and buying feedback. Some scammers have been known to pad their feedback with buying a bunch of little things from people here and there. 381 items and 100% is pretty good. It's hard to have 100% positive even if you're a straight shooter, because everybody ends up dealing with a lousy buyer or seller at some point who leaves relatiatory bad feedback and whatnot.

If you're a college student, you may think you can't afford to have a credit card, but then again you can't afford to lose a crapload of money on a transaction that goes awry... hell, even if the money order is lost in the mail, the money's gone. Credit cards aren't bad, and you should really have one with a small limit so you can establish some revolving credit.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:29 PM

AK, see if your bank can issue you a temporary credit card or put the money in a bank account and pay for it with a debit card, debit cards and credit cards are safe. money orders are like cash. once he gets that money order it is his . Shredderjosh just posted today about being ripped off for 1200 dollars through western union,and never got his guitar. be really careful I hope it works out for you, and good luck with your new gear....................mo
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:56 PM

Debit cards all the way, its free, acts just like a credit card (although banks put caps of usually $500/day on them unless you contact the bank and they can bump it to whatever amount you want for 24 hours) and the card is protected agenst fraud thru the bank.

I Never, ever send MO's unless I have too..
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Debit cards all the way, its free, acts just like a credit card (although banks put caps of usually $500/day on them unless you contact the bank and they can bump it to whatever amount you want for 24 hours) and the card is protected agenst fraud thru the bank.

I Never, ever send MO's unless I have too..
Talk to Rick Beatty about how safe your debit card is. He lost $900 when he bought a camera online from a NYC store and got nothing, and absolutely no backup from his card.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 08:41 PM

I guess it depends on your bank Rich ,I got $1200 back from Suntrust bank for a bad transaction. So I know my debit card is safe.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:59 PM

Maybe your parents can put it on thier credit card and you give them the cash.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:24 PM

damn
I never realized MO were unsafe
I really don't want to get tangled with a credit card, but after reading the horror stories, im paranoid
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:38 PM

I got burned using a MO one time and that was enough. I was lucky I got my $350 back, but I am the exception.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:43 PM

Ask the seller if they mind going through an escrow service such as escrow.com
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moibanez View Post
I guess it depends on your bank Rich ,I got $1200 back from Suntrust bank for a bad transaction. So I know my debit card is safe.
Some debit cards are VISA and that may be the difference. I don't know a lot about them because I've never and won't ever have one. I do know Rick got screwed royaly using his while thinking he had card protection. There's a thread here about it [although a few years old].
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Some debit cards are VISA and that may be the difference. I don't know a lot about them because I've never and won't ever have one. I do know Rick got screwed royaly using his while thinking he had card protection. There's a thread here about it [although a few years old].
Oh do you do online deals Rich?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Vendor

It would be a much shorter list if I listed what I didn't buy online

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode