Sam Ash=Horrible Shopping Experience - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Sam Ash=Horrible Shopping Experience

Hey Guys!
I dont wanna start a flaming war or nething but with multiple attempts to just obtain an apology to no avail, im passing on my story (im sure alot of you have had bad experiences with Sam Ash)
Here is what i sent them,all and any comments are welcome (I.E Crybaby, Loser, etc):
Warning: some light reading required
"To Whom It May Concern:
My name is Brian V and I have an issue from my recent visit at the Sam Ash Music store in Ontario, CA on 8/26/10.
I spoke with store manager Mike S but he was unhelpful, rude, and made no attempt to correct the situation.
On 8/26/10, Myself and a student of mine (I am a music instructor for the county of **** City Unified School District) went to Sam Ash Ontario around 8pm to purchase a guitar. We asked the lone guitar sales person, if we can get a guitar cable to try out some guitars to which he reluctantly did so. This sales person was a younger male with long black hair, and no name tag. The guitar we wanted to try out and consider for purchase was a black “Ibanez Jem”. We waited patiently for the sales person to come to the counter so we could test it out and our conversation was very troubling.

Me: "can we test out that black Ibanez Jem?"
Salesclerk: "only if you have 10% down to give me."
Me: "excuse me? What for?"
Salesclerk:"in case your break it."
Me: "I don’t know what your problem is but I already own one, (to which I showed him a picture of me with my “Jem” and Steve Vai) and want to try out that one."
Salesclerk: "Nice name drop, Steve Vai is a fag. What is he your *** lover?”

At this point I walked away because it was obvious that this person was being disrespectful on purpose and extremely unprofessional. This situation was entirely unnecessary and I feel discriminated and disrespected against as I felt he was refusing me basic Sam Ash services based on my ethnicity, and that he would use a homophobic slur in your store is outrageous.

The manager also refused to help me and blew off my concerns when I addressed them to him regarding the store employee. If you wish to maintain integrity with the music program in the county of ***** Unified School District, and help out invested and interested customers such as myself, I would expect an apology from the parties involved, namely, the Sam Ash store in Ontario and some form of compensation. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I hope that this can be resolved quickly."
-Brian V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 12:56 AM

Reviews: 34
Re: Sam Ash=Horrible Shopping Experience

Clearly that is unacceptable, but compensation? Really?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 01:06 AM

What makes you think it was your ethnicity and not just a case of the salesclerk being a d*ckbag in general? Would a 10% off coupon really make it better?

I'm not saying I wouldn't be pissed if I were in your situation, but I'm with nick.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 01:16 AM

Reviews: 2

I am sure thay have video - call corporate office asap.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
What makes you think it was your ethnicity and not just a case of the salesclerk being a d*ckbag in general? Would a 10% off coupon really make it better?

I'm not saying I wouldn't be pissed if I were in your situation, but I'm with nick.
The salesclerk just got done helping out a customer of his same ethnicity (both were in a happy mood) and when me and my student came to ask for help His whole attitude changed (maybe hes just a d*ckbag, but in either case, what happened was totally uncalled for).
-BV
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:52 AM

Hmmm so the guy was a d0uchebag why do you want an insincere apology from a d0uche? Take your business elsewhere and tell your friends not to go to that store. Life will go on. You coulda clocked him right upside his head too he might have learned a little lesson on the risks of acting like a d0uche. but you probably did the right thing.
Good luck on your future ventures in music stores.If you want a Jem buy one from Rich at Ibanez rules banner on the top of the page.He will only mildly insult you? Just kidding he is easy to work with.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 AM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emericavox View Post
Me: "I don’t know what your problem is but I already own one, (to which I showed him a picture of me with my “Jem” and Steve Vai) and want to try out that one."
BWAAHAHAHAHA You thought a photo of you and Vai was a trump card? BWAHAHAHAAAAAA. I can photoshop myself next to Jimi Hendrix, SRV and any other player, and it would carry the same weight. What exactly did you think it would accomplish? I would be embarrassed at that attempt.

Quote:
Salesclerk: "Nice name drop, Steve Vai is a fag. What is he your *** lover?”
The salesperson should be fired for attacking anyone like that. Call the corporate office. But leave out the part about the Vai photo. Man, that was lame.

Quote:
At this point I walked away because it was obvious that this person was being disrespectful on purpose and extremely unprofessional. This situation was entirely unnecessary and I feel discriminated and disrespected against as I felt he was refusing me basic Sam Ash services based on my ethnicity, and that he would use a homophobic slur in your store is outrageous.
Can we please stop with the discrimination? The salesperson was an idiot. It doesn't mean you were discriminated against. He was a jerk, period.

I would have simply said "Well, I was going to buy it, and you work on commission. So, what is 0% of $700" (or whatever the price was). "Oh yeah, it's $0."

Quote:
and some form of compensation.
Now I think you are delusional. You may get some kind of compensation from the corporate office, but the fact that you think you deserve it, tells me a lot.

A much better tactic would have been to tell the corporate office about your experience, and that as a music teacher for the school system (that you mentioned about 50 times ) I will no longer recommend your store to any of my students, and a mention of this event will go out in next month's school bulletin. I will also be speaking to several newspapers about my experience. I have been a loyal customer to SA for many years, but that alliance is now over.

I think you may have a better chance at getting something for your school.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Reviews: 11

i love the sam ash by my place. theyre the only place anywhere near me that has any ibanez prestige's and everyones cool as hell. they all bring their guitars into work so they have something of their own to play on their free time and the owner let me play his uv7bk. it was awesome

im sorry you had a bad experiance tho my friend, but its a chain store. its not like they know anything about guitar anyway
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Reviews: 3

Sounds like a Guitar Center. That's an unbelievable story. I would get all their names, call the corporate office, and call a lawyer. You have a witness and you represent a school. If you were with a minor, the student, that sounds like a lawsuit to me.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned

well it could have been your ethnicity
maybe your not taking the hint..........
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Idk its a tricky situation

Last edited by musicstoreemployee; 09-24-2010 at 05:17 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I don't see how treating one customer of the same ethnicity with a cheerful disposition, and changing attitude toward the next customer is any kind of racial discrimination. The previous customer could have been a friend of his. I'll bet your heightened aggrivation toward that clerk just made you think it was racial. In any case, that's NO way to treat a customer! I'm with the others on the side of an apology would be an empty cause, and any compensation is not necessary. Just take your business elsewhere and let your students know to stay away. I'd inform the Better Business Bureau.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 02:13 AM

Reviews: 1

I think Richie Ash still runs the west coast operations. google for a operations office and see what you can do reaching out to them. I will caution you Richie can be a difficult person at times.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZRG1527prestige View Post
i love the sam ash by my place. theyre the only place anywhere near me that has any ibanez prestige's and everyones cool as hell. they all bring their guitars into work so they have something of their own to play on their free time and the owner let me play his uv7bk. it was awesome

im sorry you had a bad experiance tho my friend, but its a chain store. its not like they know anything about guitar anyway
Yeah, the dork playing an acoustic last night here in Indianapolis was really cool. So busy playing he couldn't be bothered to ring me up. Thanks a heap, pal. Remind me why I don't just order everything online again?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:15 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
Now I think you are delusional. You may get some kind of compensation from the corporate office, but the fact that you think you deserve it, tells me a lot.
Brian, meet your salesperson.

Tags
same ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

html tab symbol
swap html js
tab symbol html
E-CY-165CTM.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode